Aune X1S 32bit DSD DAC worldwide review tour ------reviewers wanted !
Oct 10, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #286 of 460
Hi folks,

So am I understanding it correctly that the X1s lacks the "p-line out" function that the earlier versions of the X1 contained, and hence does not have variable output via the RCA outs? In other words, unlike the earlier versions of the X1, it cannot be used as a preamp connected to an external power amp for use in a home stereo. With the earlier versions of the X1, you were able to connect a turntable to it via a phono preamp into the RCA ins of the Aune and use the Aune as a preamp in a home audio system (my power amp has no gain control). But is it true that you can no longer do this with this X1s version of the Aune X1? I'm thinking of buying it, so any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #287 of 460
Yep - you've got it right.  It's one of the things I'd love them to change actually.  Variable line-out would mean being able to use it with active monitors which would be fantastic.  Unfortunately at the moment that isn't an option.

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #289 of 460
Hi folks,

So am I understanding it correctly that the X1s lacks the "p-line out" function that the earlier versions of the X1 contained, and hence does not have variable output via the RCA outs? In other words, unlike the earlier versions of the X1, it cannot be used as a preamp connected to an external power amp for use in a home stereo. With the earlier versions of the X1, you were able to connect a turntable to it via a phono preamp into the RCA ins of the Aune and use the Aune as a preamp in a home audio system (my power amp has no gain control). But is it true that you can no longer do this with this X1s version of the Aune X1? I'm thinking of buying it, so any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Correct.  I bought my X1S knowing it lacked that feature, and addressed it by buying the Emotiva Control Freak, $49.  It's a separate volume control that connects to the Aune line outputs, and to powered speakers or home stereo amp.  Works great, good quality smooth nice-to-operate volume knob.  And I can run both headphones and speakers that way, simultaneously or separately, without unplugging anything.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #290 of 460

Correct.  I bought my X1S knowing it lacked that feature, and addressed it by buying the Emotiva Control Freak, $49.  It's a separate volume control that connects to the Aune line outputs, and to powered speakers or home stereo amp.  Works great, good quality smooth nice-to-operate volume knob.  And I can run both headphones and speakers that way, simultaneously or separately, without unplugging anything.

Nice! Also looks good on top of the Aune.
Does it stand firmly on the X1S' curved surface?

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #292 of 460
  @Mr moose0987   ,  @ Levaix    , @ qzklepto  -------------Please send us your reviews about X1S DAC soon as the listenning is finished .
Still on the waiting list   :    Group 1 :  yage ,  Army-Firedawg 
                                       Group  2 : nmatheis ,  chowmein83 
                                        Group  3:  pter west ,  pearey , Frederase , mikiss
                                       Grop 5:   tan1415 ( Please tell us your shipping address soon, other wise  your name will be delete from the review list )      
The five winners will choose from all  the reviews , so please send us your review of X1S as soon as  possible  !    
wink_face.gif

I'm excited! Can't wait to hear the results! 
darthsmile.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #293 of 460
yes thanks @Billheiser, that's what I was thinking when I noticed the rubber feet, they should have been good for staking a similar unit. For example the X5S is out, it's a digital player, same form factor as the X1S. The two had to be stackable!

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #297 of 460
Oh *** - I couldn't care less if I get a free unit or not. This wasn't about writing a glowing review in order to get "free stuff".  It was about being able to spend time and objectively review a unit I might not have been able to otherwise try.

I'm pretty sure (seeing how Aune operate), that they will put the 5 units in a pool, and then decide who gets them.  Either way it's their call - no use jumping to conclusions.

I'm just appreciative of the fact that they're actively involved in our community so that we get these opportunities.  

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #298 of 460
Oh *** - I couldn't care less if I get a free unit or not. This wasn't about writing a glowing review in order to get "free stuff".  It was about being able to spend time and objectively review a unit I might not have been able to otherwise try.

I'm pretty sure (seeing how Aune operate), that they will put the 5 units in a pool, and then decide who gets them.  Either way it's their call - no use jumping to conclusions.

I'm just appreciative of the fact that they're actively involved in our community so that we get these opportunities.  

+100

I'm glad to have gotten a listen, get some experience with desktop gear, and provide my take on the X1S from the perspective of a desktop DAC/Amp noob.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #299 of 460

Of course! Listening to gear is why I'm on head-fi to begin with, and it's always good to audition new stuff. I never meant to minimize that.

I'm not so happy with your insinuation about my bias-ness in my review though. It's funny how shots are always fired at me, but then nobody finds anything inaccurate or missing in my reviews. If you find something wrong with my review, then say I'm doing it for the sample. 

Either way, not everyone here has money to buy audio gear they need. As a broke college student, the X1S is my only shot at a desktop DAC/amp, and it's a damn good one at that, so it's not unreasonable that I would care about how even the sample winners are. That said, if you don't care, I'll would gladly take the X1S from you if you win 
biggrin.gif
 Just kidding, you should enjoy it yourself. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back