Aune T1 vs Magni/Modi vs Fiio E17
Jan 22, 2013 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CPhoenix

New Head-Fier
Hi all;

I ordered the HE-400 with the velour pads a couple days ago and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival.  I was going to order the E17, but curiosity got the better of me and I decided to do a little more research on an amp/dac that would suit the HE-400s.  I've basically have it narrowed down to the three listed in the title: Aune T1, Magni/Modi, or E17.  I was looking at the Little Dot MKII, but it's only an amp and am not sure how it compares.  I'll be using this with my Dell laptop, so I would assume and amp and dac would benefit me more so than just an amp.

I'm aware that the HE-400's supposedly don't need amping, but I have the money available so why not.  Do you guys think the "warm" sound of a tube would pair well with the HE-400's or should I stick to SS?  I have $280 and wanna get the most out of the HE-400 with that, especially since I shelled out $395 for them.  Any input on which one I should get would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for reading!

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 5
Bumping this thread because I am also interested in an answer, specifically for the choice between an Aune T1 and a Magni/Modi combo. The Fiio E17 is obviously a step down from both. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 5
I too am curious if someone who has heard both the magni+modi stack and the aune t1 and could weigh in a little more on the two. I'm in a similar boat, just got a set of hd600s and am trying to decide which way to go.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I too am curious if someone who has heard both the magni+modi stack and the aune t1 and could weigh in a little more on the two. I'm in a similar boat, just got a set of hd600s and am trying to decide which way to go.

I believe member RMac has.  He sold off the Magni / Modi as the Aune T1 was a bit smoother and less "bright" to his ears.

I have not heard the Aune T1, yet.  I do own the HifiMAN HE-400 and have used the Magni / Modi before.  I sold off the Modi, so I could try out other DACs.  The Fiio E17 uses the same Wolfson DACs and the E7, the E07K variants of their portable amp / DAC line.  IMO, the implementation that they use with the Wolfson chip, is a bit "ripe" on the upper end.  My ears personally tired of the sound after a while.  Paired with another headphone, it might be OK.  I found the Muse Mini, which is based on the Burr-Brown PCM 2704 chip to be a lot closer to neutral, yet still not give up detail.  It's a crazy lil' DAC for about $30 + shipping on Amazon.  I have mine paired with the Magni at this moment.

I do realize people tend to push what they have, or are currently using as something another could or should buy.  I don't want to portray that role here.  I'd rather provide a bit more objective advice, if I could.  I've had about 4 under-$100 DACs through my system in the past 6 weeks in my system.  I have applied some observations of them in the HE-400 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back