Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Sep 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,791 of 8,309
I got my new T1 in, and since no one wants to buy it i went ahead and opened it. Right now im experiencing extremely harsh treble. So harsh that its clipping. This is going from T1 line out -> O2. I tried the O2 out of my sound card (which has a pretty flat output) and the clipping isnt there. Also, the treble is definitely increased because it kind of hurts to listen to music. Very sibilant.

Good news is, theres no more noise on the line output right channel like there was last time.

More good news is, im getting my AMB Gamma 2 fixed up, so this thing will end up simply gathering dust or something.

JUST KIDDING. I was diagnosing this and it turns out the O2 is the weak link. The input stage on the O2 is clipping.

sound card -> o2 = no clipping
T1 -> O2 = clipping.
T1 direct = no clipping.

Go figure.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #2,792 of 8,309
My T1 replacement arrived, and I'm loving it so far!
I tried baking soda + vinegar on my voshkods, however I wasn't getting effective results until I resorted to using a wire scrapper + magic eraser.

Not hearing a channel imbalance as of yet.  If I had to complain, I would point out that the pot is scratched a bit and the unit came smudged.

Its not far better sounding than the Musiland 02 US for me, however I like the presentation the tubes give.
EDIT:  The amp really is what sets it apart, as the DT 880 Pro doesn't shine on the 02's weak amp.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2,793 of 8,309
1) Do a search in this thread for the word Magni and the word Modi..there are some remarks probably worth reading.
2) General consensus appears to be that the Magni/Modi combo is a sidegreade at best. Although at least one person said pairing the Magni with the T1 was awesome.
3) One of the main draws of the T1 is tube-swapping which helps you find perfect synergy with your gear.
4) At least one person said the Mad Dog works well with the T1, but I cannot verify that personally.
5) My T1 works perfect, but there have been several people claiming issues with imbalance and static. I think this is a vocal minority, but it also appears to be a more frequent problem than with most products I've seen on here.
6) Tube life varies but since I've started this thread none of my tubes have died. You might want to google search the issue to find out more specific information. I feel like the fact that the tubes in the T1 are in the buffer stage that it is less strenuous but that is pure conjecture on my part.
7) Good luck! I hope you enjoy whatever you end up with! 

Excellent comments. My T1 has been perfect ever since I got it and I have truly enjoyed a bit of tube rolling, although I am pretty settled down with the Amperex 7308. It seems that a number of defects have been related to a mass purchase.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,794 of 8,309
I got my new T1 in, and since no one wants to buy it i went ahead and opened it. Right now im experiencing extremely harsh treble. So harsh that its clipping. This is going from T1 line out -> O2. I tried the O2 out of my sound card (which has a pretty flat output) and the clipping isnt there. Also, the treble is definitely increased because it kind of hurts to listen to music. Very sibilant.

Good news is, theres no more noise on the line output right channel like there was last time.

More good news is, im getting my AMB Gamma 2 fixed up, so this thing will end up simply gathering dust or something.

JUST KIDDING. I was diagnosing this and it turns out the O2 is the weak link. The input stage on the O2 is clipping.

sound card -> o2 = no clipping
T1 -> O2 = clipping.
T1 direct = no clipping.

Go figure.
I used to run t1 + o2, 2.5x gain and didn't get any clipping. o2 will definitely clip if the source outputs too high and/or gain is set too high on the o2.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #2,795 of 8,309
well, all 4 of the gain switches are set to OFF on the aune t1, the o2 is set to whatever the standard configuration is. so not sure why the o2 clips. dunno how to test the aune t1 line output for clipping in paraticular, but the problem is somewhere there. O2 has a clipping problem documented, along with channel imbalance due to using a crappy potentiometer. so yeah.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #2,796 of 8,309
Personally I felt that the maddogs are quite treble happy, so if the m&m stack is bright(never heard of them), I wouldn't recommend it. T1 with the maddogs are fine; I liked songs with strong female vocals through that combination. (in all other aspects, I still found my HD600s better. But that's besides the point). At this point I prefer the tube sound over ss as I find it more intimate and for the T1 at least, with excellent timbre. I would say go for the T1s.

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2,797 of 8,309
How would this pair with the Musical Paradise MP-301 (mk 3), which has been described as incredibly tubey sounding, lush, and full sounding?

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #2,798 of 8,309
Ok, I've been looking at AMPs and DACs for a long time now, and discovered this little gem, its a DAC/AMP and best of all it has a tube. I have always wanted to try a tube amp. I am getting close to purchasing a T1, and am just not sure what tube to get. I plan to try out many of the ones mentioned throughout this thread once I get the unit and spend some time with it, but would like at least 1 extra tube other than stock when I buy the T1.

I currently have a pair of ATH-AD900s and listen to primarily electronic music, Boom Boom Satellites, Justice, FC Kahuna, Mr. Meeble... so on.

Any pointers on a good first tube would be awesome.

I know the 900s dont really need an amp at all, but I am doing this for better than mobo soundcard quality(my dedicated soundcard died on me) and so that I have an amp to use when I upgrade to something that needs an amp, currently eyeballing AKG k702s.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,799 of 8,309
This isn't a tube amp. It is a tube dac with a solid state amp. Tubes are listed in this thread. Sounds like that amperex tube is a good choice. Google it.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #2,800 of 8,309
  Ok, I've been looking at AMPs and DACs for a long time now, and discovered this little gem, its a DAC/AMP and best of all it has a tube. I have always wanted to try a tube amp. I am getting close to purchasing a T1, and am just not sure what tube to get. I plan to try out many of the ones mentioned throughout this thread once I get the unit and spend some time with it, but would like at least 1 extra tube other than stock when I buy the T1.

I currently have a pair of ATH-AD900s and listen to primarily electronic music, Boom Boom Satellites, Justice, FC Kahuna, Mr. Meeble... so on.

I know the 900s dont really need an amp at all, but I am doing this for better than mobo soundcard quality(my dedicated soundcard died on me) and so that I have an amp to use when I upgrade to something that needs an amp, currently eyeballing AKG k702s.

First of all, this is a tube DAC, which means that the tube doesn't change the sound as much as it does in those dedicated tube amps. Also the sound signature is on the bright side, so you don't get as analogue and tubey sound as with some of the "real" tube amps. You can, however, get tubes that shift the signature more towards such sound.

The stock tube is pretty good for electronic imo. My advice is to start increasing your tube collection with relatively cheap tubes and see if you can hear any sonic differences at all.

If you are eyeballing K702s, you should check K712s as well. I think they could be really nice for electronic music.

E: Just did a headphone graph comparison between AD900, K702 and K712 (http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=2621&graphID[1]=3061&graphID[2]=4163&graphID[3]=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph). I haven't listened AD900, but I have K702 anniversaries with standard K702 pads. It seems that AD900 are, just like K702s, slightly bass light and on the bright side. In this light, tube amp could indeed be a good choice for you. If you decide to go for the T1 I suggest you to get something warm lush mellow sounding tubes to get the best synergy with your cans. Another option is to go for cans that have more sub and mid bass (if you even need bass that is).

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #2,801 of 8,309
First of all, this is a tube DAC, which means that the tube doesn't change the sound as much as it does in those dedicated tube amps. Also the sound signature is on the bright side, so you don't get as analogue and tubey sound as with some of the "real" tube amps. You can, however, get tubes that shift the signature more towards such sound.

The stock tube is pretty good for electronic imo. My advice is to start increasing your tube collection with relatively cheap tubes and see if you can hear any sonic differences at all.

If you are eyeballing K702s, you should check K712s as well. I think they could be really nice for electronic music.

The tube you get with the T1 varies. Although I ordered mine with no upgrades, I got the 6922 EH with the unit, which is a pretty good starter tube. This is often listed with a Chinese tube, which, I understand, is poor. Still it is best not to order an "upgrade" from the seller but to buy tubes as you move forward.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2,802 of 8,309
Good point. By stock tube I mean steel pin Electro-Harmonix 6922EH.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #2,803 of 8,309

As some one who loves EDM music too - I found that the Russian Rocket tube is excellent. Further I would take a look at the WS99 from Audio-Technica instead of the K702s. The WS99's are touted as a "solid bass" headphone but they are not a basshead can in the least. For the price they are perfect for EDM music - the bass is there through all spectrums and the vocals are a bit forward as well. The drivers are fast enough to keep up with EDM and for their price they are pretty hard to beat. This in conjunction with the Russian Rocket tube makes a potent combination for EDM.

Russian Rocket

or

Tungsram PCC88

Check out my reviews here and here

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #2,804 of 8,309
ops, sorry, even if its not a real tube amp, still something to get my feet wet and gotta start some place. And the T1 really caught my eye when I learned about it.

Thanks for the tips, I've read through a lot of this forum and have many tubes on my list I've started, the rocket and tungsram are on there, but for the price I guess I will start with those 2 and be sure I get a good unit before getting some of the more pricey tubes like the amperex to try out.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2,805 of 8,309
  ops, sorry, even if its not a real tube amp, still something to get my feet wet and gotta start some place. And the T1 really caught my eye when I learned about it.

Thanks for the tips, I've read through a lot of this forum and have many tubes on my list I've started, the rocket and tungsram are on there, but for the price I guess I will start with those 2 and be sure I get a good unit before getting some of the more pricey tubes like the amperex to try out.

Amperex Orange Globes shouldn't set you back more than $10-20. If you like them, then you can give the 7308s a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back