Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 28, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,491 of 8,309
Quote:
Of course I did some research before buying, but yes, I did a mistake. Reviews can say many things but all of them were positive so I tried it, just didn't liked it. Also, I didn't "yell", just expressed my experience with the unit, isn't that what this forum is all about? If negative = yell in your mind, then there is an attitude problem. I didn't bashed the product at all, just said I didn't liked the DAC sound in its stock config and that the tube was, in my opinion, a gimmick that was going against what I was looking for.  Instead of buying tons of tubes for this unit, hence investing more on a product I am not liking at that time, I prefered to pay the shipping to return it and step up my whole setup instead.  I bought a Schiit Valhalla and a Odac, which obviously is on an other price level.

Maybe I should have said what I was coming from too. I had a Fiio E10, a 70$ unit, and I much prefered it's sound to the T1. When you just spent 180$ on a new unit and you feel you have to buy aftermarket tubes to make it sound at least like your previous unit and you aren't even sure of the end result, it just turns you off, at least in my case.

I'm not sure what you mean by gimmick when that's the whole point of this dac. I'm glad u found what you like with the valhalla and Odac well because like you said they are on another price level and if even that doesn't please you, i don't think anything would :D

Anyway. At first I found the stock tube okay, but after changing to better ones I couldn't go back anymore. I'm not a good critical listener, but I can at least hear that the stock tube doesnt have the wider soundstage of better tubes(i'm using Tungstram E88CC now). I did find the bass lacking in quantity at first coming from a Xonar DX, but gradually started to appreciate it as it allows other parts of the frequency to come in more. Personally i like how this pairs with my HD600 as contrary to what people describe, i find it a dark phone with rolled off treble and this sorta balances it out. I find not only the amp section bright, but the dac too because I use line out to my A2s and found the same thing (compared to my DX). So yea, the bright DAC+amp pairing with bright headphones would not be very nice..

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2,492 of 8,309
Quote:
I have to say that I appreciated the brightness with my HD 650.  Most of my gear tends to be on the darker side (look at my sig) but when I brought in my Asgard 1 to work yesterday to compare it with the T1 amp stage, I ended up listening to the T1 exclusively the second half of the day.  The added sparkle brightened up the HD 650 nicely and made the A1 sound a bit dull and lacking detail in comparison.  Don't tell the boys over in the Schiit thread as I am as big a Schiit Head as there is, but I have to give credit where credit is due regardless of brand or price tag.

Quote:
The Genalex is a good tube but personally I preferred the Amperex tubes.
I have the JJ, Genalex, EH, Voskhod, Reflector, Siemens and Amperex. So far I personally prefer the Amperex sound.

+1.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2,493 of 8,309
but it`s obvious that you didn`t do any research and apart of you not liking 6922EH tube - this all seems to me quite trolling.

Such drama queen. I won't repeat myself because I think my last post said what I have to say. Now, maybe you should change your tube from an aggressive one to a more polite and less engaging sounding one, just a thought.

Don't forget to enjoy the music.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #2,494 of 8,309
Any recommendations for a tube to go with HE-400? I listen to classical rock, instrumental rock, electronic music and hip-hop, so I would appreciate some brightness, boosting of mids, tighter, more extended bass and a good soundstage. Would the Amperex 7308 Gold still be a good idea for me?

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,496 of 8,309
Just want to thank everyone here for convincing me to buy an Aune T1. I'm using them with my five year old Sennheiser HD555 and this thing has brought a whole new world to these babies! Listening to my music all evening with a cold one! Cheers!

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #2,497 of 8,309
Just want to thank everyone here for convincing me to buy an Aune T1. I'm using them with my five year old Sennheiser HD555 and this thing has brought a whole new world to these babies! Listening to my music all evening with a cold one! Cheers!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the T1. It brought my modest HD558s alive, like brand new headphones. What tube are you using?

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,498 of 8,309
Glad to hear you are enjoying the T1. It brought my modest HD558s alive, like brand new headphones. What tube are you using?

Its great isn't it? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this but I do know good sound. Here is the listing and item I bought.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=231009510959

I'm open to buying a better one if they are out there. I'm loving this one but I really don't know much about what they are in general. Any suggestions?

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #2,499 of 8,309
Its great isn't it? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this but I do know good sound. Here is the listing and item I bought.

I'm open to buying a better one if they are out there. I'm loving this one but I really don't know much about what they are in general. Any suggestions?

The 9622 EH is pretty good. As for suggestions, go to the thread starter by joeq70 which is a good introduction (which has been updated several times). the thread includes a vast number of tube reviews. Among the many people who give good informative reviews are Coil and Salvatore. Not everyone agrees, in part because the type of headphones that you use and the sort of music you listen to makes a difference. If you have particular interests, the thread search function helps. Good luck!

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #2,500 of 8,309
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/2010#post_9502294

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #2,502 of 8,309
Just finished reading the entire thread. Had surgery yesterday so I had plenty of time lately. I'm new but thanks to everyone who posted in the thread. I picked up the T1 recently and have really enjoyed it. My headphones aren't the greatest but we'll see (Grado SR80i & Klipsch X10).

Have the Amperex 7308 & the Telefunken E88CC on the way. Can't wait to try them out. Many thanks again.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,504 of 8,309
Quote:
Salvatore, do you mind if I quote your links post and add it to my opening post FAQ?

No not at all, go ahead.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2,505 of 8,309
I'm enjoying this unit for headphones. Fischer Audio FA-011, magnificent match. I've still got the stock 6922EH in there, but arriving in the post from Bulgaria (supposedly, I've paid for them...) are a Phillips Miniwatt PCC189, a Mullard ECC88, and a Valvo PCC88. See how they go. 

This has probably been talked about already, but it's a big thread. If you use the RCA outs to send the signal to an amp, and the USB for the input, the Tube Buffer is still in play, isn't it? It's only bypassed if you use the RCA in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back