Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #2,236 of 8,309
So I'm thinking of getting a good mid-pro range headphone for my Aune T1.

Budget at $500, but preferably closer to $400. Thinking between the AKG K70X variants, Beyer T90, and Hifiman HE-400/500 (Doubt it'll drive the HE-500 properly though), or any similar open cans. I'll likely be using these headphones for a long time so I want to the get the best possible for the DAC/Amp combo.

I'll be listening to female vocals and occasionally rock and will upgrade to the Amperex OG soon. Anyone have any suggestions for the headphones, and will the T1 drive the HE-500? Thanks.

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #2,237 of 8,309
Are the highly praised Orange Globes by Amperex, on this thread, the Disc Getter, the A-frames getter or the PQ with A-frames getter? Are there any sonic differences between the 3 or just to differentiate the year of the model. When given all 3 options, which one should I buy

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #2,238 of 8,309
They are all good but the old halo getters are probably the best. They are also more expensive.

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #2,240 of 8,309
See post #2016 on page 135 for more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/2010#post_9502294

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2,241 of 8,309
To Boyang1724

Get the Sennheiser HD600. Right up your pricerange. With IMO the best soundstage and sound in general.I've compared it with the beyer DT880, Grado sr325i and more expensive units. But the HD600 prevailed. I counldn't compare it to Hifiman (not common in the  EU)
But maybe your sound preference is a bit different. I'm completely happy with my hd600'. Just go to your local HIFI store with a good choice of headphones. Don't buy anything withut listening first. Or you end up with a crappy combo. And buy it from that store also. The money is worth it. Or else all store will be exstinct if everything is bought online. And some things need to be listened first.

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #2,242 of 8,309
To Boyang1724

Get the Sennheiser HD600. Right up your pricerange. With IMO the best soundstage and sound in general.I've compared it with the beyer DT880, Grado sr325i and more expensive units. But the HD600 prevailed. I counldn't compare it to Hifiman (not common in the  EU)
But maybe your sound preference is a bit different. I'm completely happy with my hd600'. Just go to your local HIFI store with a good choice of headphones. Don't buy anything withut listening first. Or you end up with a crappy combo. And buy it from that store also. The money is worth it. Or else all store will be exstinct if everything is bought online. And some things need to be listened first.

I've tried out the K702, HD600 and a few more open headphones at stores, but haven't been able to test out the Beyer T90 or the Hifimans yet. The HD600 sounded fairly good, but from some of the threads here and reviews online, the Beyer T90 and HE-500 are better suited for my needs. I'll obviously try to test out the headphones before I buy them, but some are just fairly hard to come by. Thanks for the advice.

Jul 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #2,243 of 8,309
Quote:
To Boyang1724

I have the HE-400 and Aune T1 combination. It works like a charm and people in this thread actually convinced me to buy the T1 for my HE-400. Search for HE-400 in this thread, people find the synergy to be very good. HD 600 is also an amazing can. Some people prefer the HD 650 but I'm not sure how the T1 will drive them. I'd suggest you read comparisons between them on other head-fi threads and choose the best depending on the genres you prefer.

Here's something I saw on a thread -

"HD600-accurate and intimate does everything well..

HD650-Warm and intimate, fantastic mids, and  an addictive tone..

HE-400 Expansive instrument separation, crisp and a bit dark at the same time, excellent bass layering, probably the most "fun" of the mentioned."

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #2,244 of 8,309
Quote:
Some people prefer the HD 650 but I'm not sure how the T1 will drive them.

No problems driving HD650 with T1. HD650 are actually easier to drive than AKG X7XX.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #2,245 of 8,309
Quote:
I've tried out the K702, HD600 and a few more open headphones at stores, but haven't been able to test out the Beyer T90 or the Hifimans yet. The HD600 sounded fairly good, but from some of the threads here and reviews online, the Beyer T90 and HE-500 are better suited for my needs. I'll obviously try to test out the headphones before I buy them, but some are just fairly hard to come by. Thanks for the advice.

I have the HE-500 (as well as the HE-400 and Audeze LCD 2 rev 2) and the Aune T1 can drive them.  If I keep the gain switch on 0 I have the volume AT MOST 60-70% and if I put the gain switch on +10 I use around 40-50% AT MOST.  I love the synergy of either my Hifiman cans with my Mullard tubes.  Perfect.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2,247 of 8,309
I have the HE-500 (as well as the HE-400 and Audeze LCD 2 rev 2) and the Aune T1 can drive them.  If I keep the gain switch on 0 I have the volume AT MOST 60-70% and if I put the gain switch on +10 I use around 40-50% AT MOST.  I love the synergy of either my Hifiman cans with my Mullard tubes.  Perfect.

This tube collection is magnificent! Look at them, each with its own space presumably with performance notes! I have 3 right now! What is the tube in your T1 in the picture?

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2,249 of 8,309

Can the aune t1 drive the lcd2 and he-500 to ear deafening volumes?

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #2,250 of 8,309
Quote:

This looks awesome!

Thanks Salvatore!

Quote:
This tube collection is magnificent! Look at them, each with its own space presumably with performance notes! I have 3 right now! What is the tube in your T1 in the picture?

Thanks teb103!  In that picture I'm using a Mullard E88CC-01

Quote:
Yes! That's a socket adapter on there!

Indeed.  I got it here: http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_with_Vibration_Red_B9A_NOVAL_p/novib-cos.htm   I roll tubes pretty often and per recommendations a tube socket saver was a smart idea.  Apparently these also enhance sound the sound :

Great for SQ NOT just for your sockets!
October 5, 2012
Reviewer: Mark Haynes from Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom  
I bought these for my Yaqin MC100B which uses 2 X 12ax7s in the input.  Here I use late 50s Brimar 12ax7 long plates which are supposed to be non microphonic.  Thinking that they would help protect my Noval sockets (the other sockets are octal and easier to 'retension') I bought these. However I wasn't expecting such a massive improvement in SQ.  I use Golden Dragon tube dampers but this made a bigger improvement to the SQ than them!  Depth, clarity across all frequency ranges were improved and everything seemed more 3 dimensional.  Buy these NOT just to protect your sockets but to IMPROVE YOUR SQ!!"  

I can't comment on an actual tangible SQ improvement (maybe it's just in my head) but it seems more "solid."  Anyway I just use to minimize the wear on the socket. Any SQ improvements are just a bonus.  

Quote:
Can the aune t1 drive the lcd2 and he-500 to ear deafening volumes?

On 0 level gain they can't.  But on +10 gain they will.  It's already far TOO loud for me, "ear deafening", at 70-80% volume @ +10 gain.  It's no Schiit Lyr, which i demoed, in terms of power but it packs a decent punch for a little guy.  I usually hover around 40-50% volume for "louder" normal listening with my orthostats and for "low volume" listening I hover around 25-35% volume @ +10 gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back