Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #1,576 of 8,309
Quote:

I own a T1 and am very happy with it as a dac.  When i bought it i knew the tube wasn't part of the headphone amp section, but the manual it comes with does specifically say "tube headphone amp" in it

Can someone explain what that means exactly?  If the tube is part of the usb dac functioning does that mean the tube has nothing to do with the headphone amp?  I want to purchase one of these to use with my headphones and eventually will use the dac to connect a pair of krk rokit 5's.  I know that'll be fine because the krk's are powered, but will the tube limit what I can use on the t1's output line?

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,577 of 8,309
Quote:
Can someone explain what that means exactly?  If the tube is part of the usb dac functioning does that mean the tube has nothing to do with the headphone amp?  I want to purchase one of these to use with my headphones and eventually will use the dac to connect a pair of krk rokit 5's.  I know that'll be fine because the krk's are powered, but will the tube limit what I can use on the t1's output line?

The T1 is a DAC with Tube buffer that feeds into a headphone amp. If you use the line in only, then the Tube does not come into play. The tube is not part of the amplification signal path.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #1,578 of 8,309
I guess I have to eat a few of my words now after recieving the Voskhod 6N23P tube and doing som more listening. I certanly can hear the difference in sound, but like Blues Daddy says it's subtle. This is like wine tasting actually. I'll have to learn it by trying. I will be careful to point out what the differences are yet, but I have to correct myself about the openness/soundstage in the Phillips PCC189. And like I learned form Salvatore, listen to one thing at the time while doing A/B rolls makes it easier to hear the difference.

In my terms I find that the 6N23P is more "fun" to listen to, and the PCC189, in some genres of music, more relaxing to listen to. Looking forward to learn more :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #1,579 of 8,309
Yes that's how it is. There are definitely differences, but they can be very subtle indeed. Sometimes I hear the differences very clearly and sometimes everything sounds the same. I've learned that you don't want to do critical listening if a) sick or b) tired. You might also want to listen one tube for a while before rolling. This way your brain gets used to the sound and the differences could be a lot easier to observe. Oh and maybe you should try combining tube rolling with wine tasting. Some tubes might go better with certain wines. At least it's fun with special beers, lol
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #1,580 of 8,309
Last week was probably not my best then. I was beginning to get sick and had my head full at work. I was actually home sick saturday throug tuesday this week..

I'll guess that combining vine tasting and tube rolling will go in favor of the last tube tested regardless of which it is :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #1,581 of 8,309
Quote:
The T1 is a DAC with Tube buffer that feeds into a headphone amp. If you use the line in only, then the Tube does not come into play. The tube is not part of the amplification signal path.

Okay so can I still use the rca out to a pair of monitors while using the dac with usb?  If so can I use my headphones and monitors at the same time while on usb setting, or will one override the other?  If so I guess I could just unplug whichever I'm not using?  Really I'm only going to be using the usb setting on this dac/amp.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,582 of 8,309
Quote:
I'll guess that combining vine tasting and tube rolling will go in favor of the last tube tested regardless of which it is :)

That's a good one mate :D

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,583 of 8,309
Okay so can I still use the rca out to a pair of monitors while using the dac with usb?  If so can I use my headphones and monitors at the same time while on usb setting, or will one override the other?  If so I guess I could just unplug whichever I'm not using?  Really I'm only going to be using the usb setting on this dac/amp.
You can use both the headphone out and the line out at once. I just tried it out. Had my DT880s plugged into O2 via lineout and plugged in DT770s into the T1's hp out. Both were outputting.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #1,585 of 8,309
So I bit on one of those cheapo T1s on eBay. We shall see what we shall see. Assuming it's legit, what should I be looking at for my first couple tubes and where should I be procuring them?

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,586 of 8,309
Quote:
There probably are no markings because it`s relabeled. And I was talking about PCC189 not 6DJ8, of course they are different sounding tubes.

All my relabeled tubes have markings on them. I have a Zaerix with Mullard markings, two RCA's with Siemens markings and a RCA that has the Phillips factory code on them and a RCA 6922 that has the USA AMmperex markings/dates on them. I was under the impression that the tubes were made, then restamped with label markings.

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #1,589 of 8,309
Quote:
Yes that's how it is. There are definitely differences, but they can be very subtle indeed. Sometimes I hear the differences very clearly and sometimes everything sounds the same. I've learned that you don't want to do critical listening if a) sick or b) tired. You might also want to listen one tube for a while before rolling. This way your brain gets used to the sound and the differences could be a lot easier to observe. Oh and maybe you should try combining tube rolling with wine tasting. Some tubes might go better with certain wines. At least it's fun with special beers, lol
biggrin.gif

Sooooo true !  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back