Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 21, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #901 of 8,309
This one is pretty amazing in the Lyr and the T1. He will run out of these eventually and then they'll go back up to 400-500 each with very rare matched pairs. Its probably not urgent but something to file away: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Telefunken-E88CC-%7B47%7D-6922.html

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #902 of 8,309
Quote:
I've thought of something similar actually, but using the green foam that florists use to arrange flowers. That stuff is pretty solid and allows for firm pin penetration.

That would be nice because you can then easily see the pin holes after removing and putting the tubes back. How cool would it be to have a nice rustic wooden box with that green foam inside. Something like this but deeper so you can close the lid: http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-EDGE-BATTALION-CONNECTICUT-RUSTIC-WOOD-CIGAR-BOX-GOOD-CONDITION-/140919412620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cf73978c

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #904 of 8,309
I like that cigar box. That would look really classy lined in velour with memory foam padding.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #905 of 8,309
Ok I went and got this Cuban hand made Don Pepin cigar box from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251219029488?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

[size=x-large]6 1/2 in wide x 5 3/8 in deep x 3 5/8 in high[/size]
[size=x-large]1/4 Inch solid thick walls[/size]

Should be optimal dimensions for storing small amount of tubes. I think I'll be able to customise this box to take around 10 tubes. Box cost me around 20 euros (shipping was 3/4 of the price) so not bad for a really nice looking storage for your precious tubes. This should also go nicely with my walnut finished sieveking omega. Now I need to think about the coating material... maybe I'll check those green foams first if they are suitable.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #906 of 8,309
Quote:
You can still use a box like that if you put the tubes on their side and lay strips of that green stuff inside.
But isn't that green stuff moist?

actually they're not moist, it just happens to be moist because florists use them to prolong the life of the flowers, but they're sold dry and very firm. Placing that green foam inside a cigar box would really be on point! All great ideas here!

On another note, I've been testing out the T1 with pretty much all that I've got at home, and I think having tested my Shure SE215, ATH-WS70, and my new JVC HA-S500-Z ...the JVC's really kill the other two in clarity. Granted I only have the 6922 EH to test, I can pick up a lot more of the detail from the JVC's and the bass is not nearly as muddy the ATH-WS70's. I've played the T1 off my Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II, and the sound is just not the same. It's better than before, but you can't really hear the sound as it should be without listening them to some good cans :)

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #910 of 8,309
You guys might like this, I stumbled across it today.   Kind of an interesting read :)

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/MostVacuumTubes.pdf

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #911 of 8,309

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #912 of 8,309
Quote:

Haha you really made me lol here. Good times...

Ok I got Gold Lion yesterday and this seems to be a ok tube at max but nothing special. I would say something between rocket and electro harmonix. Not as wide and clear as EH but not as sweet as rocket either. Imaging doesn't feel as pulled back as in the case of EH. Kind of slightly airier and cleaner rocket with less presence in vocals/mids (noticeable with dialogue heavy tv series). Decent (and slightly dull) all around performer, which doesn't add much to what I already got. Maybe I need to burn this thing in a little bit before posting any more impressions. Not much of an upgrade atm and I think there are lots of better tubes in this price range. I know I'm going back to my rocket. NOS FTW I guess :wink:

So I guess I have one Gold Lion to sell or trade... anyone?

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #913 of 8,309
That's quite a surprise review on the gold lion, Salvatore! Hah.. It sounded very creamy smooth on my setup and love particularly the sense of "being-right-there"! Maybe not the most detailed, but that makes it not fatigue for me.. Listening to Coldplay was quite enjoyable on this tube..

A bass-heavy cans might not be suitable for gold lion though, I feel.. The lower end is kinda pronounced slightly..

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #914 of 8,309
Quote:
That's quite a surprise review on the gold lion, Salvatore! Hah.. It sounded very creamy smooth on my setup and love particularly the sense of "being-right-there"! Maybe not the most detailed, but that makes it not fatigue for me.. Listening to Coldplay was quite enjoyable on this tube..

A bass-heavy cans might not be suitable for gold lion though, I feel.. The lower end is kinda pronounced slightly..

Yes it sounds closer to rocket than to EH and in that sense it is "being right there" kind on sound. At least if compared to EH where some of the intimacy flees to the sides along the bumerang shaped image (I note that EH would be great with better imaging). Gold lion settles somewhere between these two and therefore feels quite a good all arounder. I think I prefer gold lion over EH but what makes me want to sell or trade gold lion is that its closer to rocket and therefore EH brings more variety to my collection. You have to remember that gold lion is my latest purchase and I need to burn it in for a while and do some more comparison. There just seems to be something that these new production tubes are missing. Soul? Life? who knows, but I'm sure that in this price range we can find better deals and forget these tubes altogether. All this being said I still like to reserve rights to change my opinion as I do more comparisons :wink:

And yes I agree that gold lion and rocket both are not the best choices for overly warm headphones since they lack that sparkle. They also both lack detail and resolution (rocket probably ever more so). What you describe as creamy smooth is true but some might also describe it a bit dull. I also hope I'm not making the rocket sound like it's way above everything else. It certainly isn't and has many shortcomings. I personally just find it quite soulful and enjoyable tube especially considering that I got 2 tubes for $18. One gold lion cost over twice as much. I also listen blues and old funk quite a lot where the rockets shortcomings don't mind me so much.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #915 of 8,309
So is there no way of hooking this up to a turntable without a pre amp? I know they aren't terribly expensive but I am curious. Also how much better would a pair of 600 ohm k240's sound better out of this than the stereo amp I have currently (a pioneer vsx-4900s Old yet good)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back