Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 18, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #7,966 of 8,309
Hey guys

can anyone help?

When i connect my Aune T1SE via USB, the drivers do not install correctly in Windows 7. Shows as T1 USB DAC in device manager but with a yellow exclamation point next to it. I can't find any drivers online to manually install :frowning2:

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #7,968 of 8,309
Just testing out a new scope (OWON sds7102) in the lab today, decided to do some thing useful with it and compare the noise on the Aune T1 (original version) with two different 6DJ8 tubes.  Test condition: 1 khz output at 80% full scale generated using the Audacity software.

Here are the screenshots with volume knob set to output 2V (about half volume) and 3.6V (about 80% full volume):

The unit has dominantly 2nd and 3rd harmonics both about 50db down at 2V, then mostly 3rd order about 20db down at 3.6V (which doesn't surprise me as that's close to clipping).

Interesting that the measurements reveal measurable differences between the tubes at 80% volume, both are ok but slightly different signature.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #7,969 of 8,309
Thinking about getting some speakers for my new setup. I already have my T1 MK2 for my headphones. Does this work from USB to the RCA out? And then this can power... unpowered speakers?

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #7,970 of 8,309
Thinking about getting some speakers for my new setup. I already have my T1 MK2 for my headphones. Does this work from USB to the RCA out? And then this can power... unpowered speakers?

Yes you can can use the USB and the line out to your speakers but it provides zero power. You need to either connect the line out to a speaker amp or to powered speakers.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #7,971 of 8,309
Yes you can can use the USB and the line out to your speakers but it provides zero power. You need to either connect the line out to a speaker amp or to powered speakers.

Ah, ok thank you. So will I still be able to adjust volume with the knob on the T1 itself?

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #7,974 of 8,309
I ran my T1 to active powered Audioengine speakers with fantastic results. Very good sound for the price.

The Audioengine A5 and A2 models have built in amps that the T1 can feed through its fixed line out.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #7,975 of 8,309
I am now an owner of the Aune T1 SE MK3. I have had it for a couple days now. I have to say it is pretty impressive. I own the SoundMagic HP150 and AKG K545. I also own the Fiio E12. The T1 SE MK3 has good synergy with both pairs of headphones. I will say though that the K545 is better sounding to me than the HP150, but that is a comparison review I may put up another day soon. I have done several tests using both headphones with the T1, and the K545 is definitely the better option. This is the same result with the Fiio E12, and any other gear I have tried as well. The K545 is just a better sounding headphone. I have never owned the T1 MK1 or MK2, so unfortunately I can not do a comparison. One complaint I do have with the stock tube on my SE MK3 is that at times the bass can be a tad slow and loose. It lacks tightness and refinement across the bass regions with heavy metal music which is my genre of choice. I am also noticing that the treble is somewhat tizzy and lacking some articulation. It is a bit of a mess in the upper frequencies on some tracks. I am about 8 hours in with the DAC/AMP so far. Other than the couple things mentioned, the T1 SE MK3 is offering a good experience with my K545, although not mind busting.

Edit: I just ended up ordering the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC Gold Pin version. I will update my impression of the T1 once the new tube arrives.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #7,976 of 8,309
I'm not looking to spend too much money and want to keep the speakers on the slightly smaller size to keep more room on my desk so I was looking at the Micca PB42X/MB42X so I was trying to figure out if I needed the powered one or not. Trying to keep the cleaner look if possible, but I guess I may be open to getting a small amp so I can easily change the volume of the speakers without having to reach behind the speakers.

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #7,978 of 8,309
So I was wondering if any of you had experience testing the T1's amp against something beefier.

I had Hifiman's HE400's for a long time with the T1 and I really liked the sound. Recently I got a good offer on HE-500's and decided to upgrade. Been running the 500's now with the T1 and I cant lie, it does sound really good. More midrange, more detail in highs and bass is really good. I know that the T1's amp isn't the most powerful and the 500's would probably benefit from a beefier amp, or would it?
Are any of you running the T1 just as a DAC and using a beefier amp alongside? Would love to hear some experiences.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #7,979 of 8,309
I'm using the T1 MK2 as a DAC and my headphone amp is a Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone. The amp offers a better bass extension and less piercing treble. Compared to the stock amp, the stock amp is a little thin and flat. I like the amp as it offers a pre out for my active speakers.

Other than that, there's not much difference. I do think it is a matter of preference in my case. My headphones are demanding though, when I plugged my Sennheiser HD525 into Stoner Acoustic EGA+EGD stack, everything sounds a lot better.

Read through the previous pages, some users report good results using a different amp.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #7,980 of 8,309
Has anyone tried replacing T1 DAC opamp OPA2134 (BBOPA 2134UA) and Headamp board opamp NE5532 (N5532A) ?
For these for example:
NE5532 (N5532A) for > http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/newclassdopamps.html
OPA2134 (BBOPA 2134UA) for > http://www.hificollective.co.uk/semiconductors/dexa-newclassd-single-opamps.html

Alternative (more expensive) is Burson opamps: https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5/

I`m thinking about doing it since my T1 is modded anyway and I won`t sell it probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back