Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 14, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #7,336 of 8,309
  Why do people say the amp for Aune T1 isn't so good? Because of how it sounds? Or because it isn't very powerful?

The specs I've seen on the amp looked pretty powerful. 400mw at 120ohms which in my head is rather decent power

Powerful is not the same as good sounding. The T1's headphone amp part is actually a simple CMOY, if I'm not mistaken. It will surely do the job (of amplifying), but yeah, just standard stuff. 

I think there may have been some confusion about my question. To clarify, I'm doing a side by side test of:
1) PC -> Aune T1 -> Headphones
2) iPhone -> Aune T1 (through CCK and unpowered usb hub) -> Headphones

And the results are 1 is better than 2, despite using the same tracks in the same formats. There's a marked difference in soundstage and detail.

Strange. Theoretically it should be the same, because the decoding is done by the T1. Only thing I could think of is probably the IOS messes with the digital data before it's being extracted. You using the standard music player? Try a 3rd party app instead. One that I like is the Onkyo HF Player. Free to use for MP3, $10 to upgrade to play flacs and wavs. Or, it could be the other way around, directsound (if using windows) messes with the digital data, making it sound better.

The other thing (a bit far fetched) might be because the USB connection on the CCK doesn't put out enough electricity, so the signal might be jittering. The T1 MK2's asynchronous clock should correct this, but if it's working constantly, that maybe the cause of quality loss. Try a powered USB hub? 

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #7,337 of 8,309
  Hi Mikoss,

Yeah it was a tube. I just got a new JJ E88C Gold pin tube. No more issues as I mentioned previously. Also I can see quite a difference in sound (improvement of course :) ).

It is strange that my old tube lasted only for so long (around 4 moths). Hope I won't need to change a tube that often.

Thank you for response anyway.

Tubes are very fragile thing.If you buy used tubes, you don't know how much lifespan they have left. 

Even new tubes are fragile. I had this brand new Genalex Gold Lion. 3 foot drop, and it's wrecked. No glass fractures, no loose connections visible inside, still wrecked....

An ideal tube with ideal usage should last for thousands of working hours.

Which is why everytime I thought of investing $50+ on a tube, this fact held me back, and I'm still sitting here with my $10 Voskhod tube :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #7,339 of 8,309
Tubes are very fragile thing.If you buy used tubes, you don't know how much lifespan they have left. 

Even new tubes are fragile. I had this brand new Genalex Gold Lion. 3 foot drop, and it's wrecked. No glass fractures, no loose connections visible inside, still wrecked....

An ideal tube with ideal usage should last for thousands of working hours.

Which is why everytime I thought of investing $50+ on a tube, this fact held me back, and I'm still sitting here with my $10 Voskhod tube :)

I spent $50 on my Amperex 7308 (driver quality) and once I realized that I loved it, I have treated it like a baby. Still great in the T1 after over 2yrs, heavy use. Nevertheless I know some day it will go "poof" and the next one might not last. That's the tube game.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #7,340 of 8,309
I spent $50 on my Amperex 7308 (driver quality) and once I realized that I loved it, I have treated it like a baby. Still great in the T1 after over 2yrs, heavy use. Nevertheless I know some day it will go "poof" and the next one might not last. That's the tube game.

What I meant was that because the only viable option for me to get tubes is from ebay, there are big risks involved, even before the tube reach my hands.

For starter, the seller might be lying (not scamming) about the tube. For example, he/she posts good measurements of a tube, but send me another tube instead. Without a legit tube tester device, I wouldn't know a damn thing. 

Then there's the issue of packaging and the handling of the package from transit post offices around the world. I bought my Voskhod tube as a pair, from a seller from Ukraine, shipped to Asia. The package seemed good, covered in styrofoam shaped as a tube holder (like a headphone case). One of the tube sounded horrible. Upon closer inspection, the 'nipple' on top were chipped, so that's my best guess as to why it sounded horrible. The other one worked just fine, and that's what I'm using now. Hard to say whose fault was that, the seller, or the post office people handling the package. 

Yea using tube is always a gamble. Unless I can get it at a brick and mortar shop, even better, a shop with a tube tester. Both not really a good option for me, tho....

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #7,341 of 8,309
Yet eBay is 100% on the side of the buyer. You can get a refund even if your purchase is beyond the sellers refund terms. So if you got a chipped nipple on your tube and choose to keep it, why would you complain? I'm just asking... I have found eBay to be quite reliable for tube purchases, and the sellers to be mostly truthful. Why would they lie about tube tests... you can just put in a claim with eBay and return it at the sellers expense, always, regardless of their policy.

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #7,342 of 8,309
  Yet eBay is 100% on the side of the buyer. You can get a refund even if your purchase is beyond the sellers refund terms. So if you got a chipped nipple on your tube and choose to keep it, why would you complain? I'm just asking... I have found eBay to be quite reliable for tube purchases, and the sellers to be mostly truthful. Why would they lie about tube tests... you can just put in a claim with eBay and return it at the sellers expense, always, regardless of their policy.

Not complaining about that one particular tube. I deemed that as a realistic and logical risk, that it can be broken along its way half the globe (Ukraine to Asia) and 1,5 month shipping time.

I'm also aware of ebay's protection. I think it was either keep the stuff and get partial refund, or return the stuff and get full refund. Both aren't in my favor tho. The postal condition of my country make things a lot harder to send something anywhere in the world. I learned this when RMA-ing my hifiman to China.

For example, I have to go to the main post office for oversea shipping, branch post offices won't do. There, I gotta wait for the inspection office to inspect the thing I'm sending, got interviewed face to face a bit (what is it, where I'm sending it to, purpose of sending, etc), then wait some more for the actual sending. It takes half a day of office hours just to send a package, excluding the transport time, so it's 1 day absence from work. Not fancy on the cost as well. For example, regular shipment from my country to China (both in Asia) for a 1 kg package (minimum weight) was around $20-$30. I couldn't imagine how much it will cost for a package to Ukraine. So let's say I opted for a full refund. I imagine even if the seller will cover the postal cost, he will do it after he receive the package back. It's 1.5 month shipping there, so I'll get my postal money back 1.5 month later. Then if I opted for a replacement, it's another 1.5 month shipping time. So for a $10 tube, it's too much hassle and cost to try to get a refund. 

I know it's just the way it is. I blame the public post office and its policies. The condition makes it a major headache to deal with oversea warranties and RMAs. I should have been clearer on my previous post, it's not the ebay that's at fault. 

I'm not saying ebay is a bad way for everybody. Just for me and everyone else in my country. For me, buying from ebay (and other oversea online sites, amazon, aliexpress, etc) is always a gamble. If the stuff is good, I win. If the stuff is bad, it's too much hassles and costs to try to get a refund, depending on the stuff, might not be worth it.

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #7,343 of 8,309
So was at work the other day and found a box of random tubes in a closet while cleaning it out and thought I saw a bugle boy logo, and I was right, pulled this out of the box.

I have found many random tubes at work but this is the first time I have have found one that is the right type, mostly end up with 12ax7 tubes. Anyways, brought this tube home and have been listening to it for a couple days and comparing to my other tubes, (gold lion and orange globe) and I really like the sound. Would like to identify it though and could use some help, tube codes does my head in.

GAA
Δ5E2

Pretty sure thats the right code on it, little hard to read.

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #7,344 of 8,309
That's a fantastic find. According to the codes, what you've got is an authentic Amperex Bugle Boy made in May 1965 at the Heerlen, Holland factory. A very nice and desirable 6DJ8 tube.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #7,346 of 8,309
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
That's a fantastic find. According to the codes, what you've got is an authentic Amperex Bugle Boy made in May 1965 at the Heerlen, Holland factory. A very nice and desirable 6DJ8 tube.

basshead.gif

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #7,347 of 8,309
Guys,

Having an issue. I'm getting crackling and distortion from the right side of my akg 550s (only ever the right side). It disappears after 5-10mins usually. Is my tube on the way out?? It's over a year old now as I bought my T1 in May/June 2014. Still using stock tube.

Cheers.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #7,350 of 8,309
Ok thanks both. I'll turn it on a half hour before I plan on using it and see if that helps any. I usually just turn it on and press play when the tube lights up, which worked fine up until a week or so ago. Will get a new tube ordered anyway at the weekend. 

If I wanted to increase the bass a touch and drop the treble a touch, what would be the best tube at a reasonable price?

Bugle Boy
Orange Globe
Russian Rocket

I know the 7308 is the holy grail when it comes to the T1, but with the cost of the tube and shipping it works out about the same as the unit itself. I'd rather just upgrade at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back