Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #6,481 of 8,309
T1 vs. O2 is not night and day at all. Knowing what I know now, I'd say this: buy the end game headphone you want and use the T1 while you save up to buy the right amp for it. You'll save yourself a lot of money that way. Otherwise, you end up bleeding money on incremental upgrades trying to get the sound you want out of lesser equipment. Cry once, as they say... It's cheaper to spend $1,000 once than it is to spend $150 10 times.

True though. The sound from my T1 is a bit different from my X3 combo but I don't hate it. Most likely because of the tube.
Open back headphones is more important for me now since I'll be needing it most when I begin my temporary move to my friend's house.
Or maybe I could play around with tubes. The rocket 6N23P and Mullard ECC88 aren't really expensive but I think I'll go with the rocket first 
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #6,482 of 8,309
If you tell us what you are using the T1 for we can suggest tubes we have tried, however you have to keep in mind almost nobody is using the same headphones, haha.

I recommend my German Siemens 6922 for critical listening (but these tubes are expensive, if they are real and both triodes ~match)

For all around listening I'd go with GE Smokies, which can be found for half the price of the Siemens and they have a great sound too.

Of all the tubes I have or had, I use my Amperex 6922 the least.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #6,483 of 8,309

Oh schiit it's something more expensive. Though I'd love to get it, Germany doesn't have it. 
Things that I have found are mixed up, it kinda makes me confused.
One said O2 pairs good with AKG while others said Vali is better than O2 and pairs also good with AKG.
Or I might just buy HD600 instead 
confused_face(1).gif

This is my stereotype:

- Tube devices give a distinct sense of warm tone that I can't quite pinpoint/replicate with an SS device + EQ. The sounds are grouped close together near you giving the sense of intimacy. In an analogy, if you're playing a song, it feels like they're performing in your living room. 

- SS devices give a sense of 'precision', especially in the mid and high frequencies. The sounds are wide and scattered around you, giving the sense of a wide space. In the same analogy, it feels like you're in a small concert hall watching a performance.

I've tried this with mix and matching T1 with ALO Pan Am. T1 is a tube DAC + SS amp, while the Pan Am is the opposite, SS DAC + tube amp. When I went all tube, tube DAC + tube amp, like I said above, warm, close, intimate. When I switched to all SS, it suddenly felt very wide and spacious. Same music player, same songs, same headphone, 2 people (including me) confirmed the same impression. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #6,484 of 8,309
I like a hybrid set up. Warmth from the t1 tube dac, speed and punch from the Asgard 2. Good combo. Reminds me of the old days with a good turntable and a good ss amp. Best of both worlds...

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #6,485 of 8,309
Just paired the T1 as a DAC with a Woo Audio WA6-se.  Lots of tubes.  Oh my, does it sound special!  Makes the Grado RS1s weep with joy!

Quote:

This is my stereotype:

- Tube devices give a distinct sense of warm tone that I can't quite pinpoint/replicate with an SS device + EQ. The sounds are grouped close together near you giving the sense of intimacy. In an analogy, if you're playing a song, it feels like they're performing in your living room. 

- SS devices give a sense of 'precision', especially in the mid and high frequencies. The sounds are wide and scattered around you, giving the sense of a wide space. In the same analogy, it feels like you're in a small concert hall watching a performance.

I've tried this with mix and matching T1 with ALO Pan Am. T1 is a tube DAC + SS amp, while the Pan Am is the opposite, SS DAC + tube amp. When I went all tube, tube DAC + tube amp, like I said above, warm, close, intimate. When I switched to all SS, it suddenly felt very wide and spacious. Same music player, same songs, same headphone, 2 people (including me) confirmed the same impression. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #6,486 of 8,309
Ended up buying Russian 6N23P-EV because stock almost empty and offer ended in less than 20h.
Well, gotta wait till it arrives.

Currently using my Aune again. Home sweet home.
Now I don't want a tube amp, so using time to consider O2 or Magni.

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #6,488 of 8,309
Ended up buying Russian 6N23P-EV because stock almost empty and offer ended in less than 20h.
Well, gotta wait till it arrives.

Currently using my Aune again. Home sweet home.
Now I don't want a tube amp, so using time to consider O2 or Magni.

Moving to O2 or Magni would be paying a lot of money for a very small difference. You are better off saving a little more for a true upgrade or take the cheap route and try upgrading the capcitors on the T1's amp section.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #6,489 of 8,309
Moving to O2 or Magni would be paying a lot of money for a very small difference. You are better off saving a little more for a true upgrade or take the cheap route and try upgrading the capcitors on the T1's amp section.

Currently going for open headphones
What's the true upgrade though? I don't think I want to replace my Aune soon, if I had to upgrade I'll buy an amp for sure. Is Asgard 2 a better choice?

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #6,490 of 8,309
I'm using an aune t1 with amperex 7308 as my dac and an Asgard 2 as my amp with sennheiser hd580's(essentially the same as hd600) and it may be end game for me. The Asgard 2 is a pretty substantial upgrade to the amp in the t1. I love the dac in it though...

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #6,491 of 8,309
I'm using an aune t1 with amperex 7308 as my dac and an Asgard 2 as my amp with sennheiser hd580's(essentially the same as hd600) and it may be end game for me. The Asgard 2 is a pretty substantial upgrade to the amp in the t1. I love the dac in it though...

I think I've seen you mentioning the Asgard before. If it's the best choice, then I'll wait until February for Asgard
Maybe that's for the best indeed

Dec 31, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #6,492 of 8,309
I would second hansoteks advise though, get the headphones you really want first. The 600's sound pretty good out of the t1 and will get you by until you upgrade the amp. Then you'll see what the 600's can really do...

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #6,494 of 8,309
Might get the Q instead. Didn't find much stock on cheaper HD600 here although this is Germany...
But welp, new open headphones in January to enjoy my Aune with!

You can set price alerts for amazon on camelcamelcamel. I don't know if that changes anything... I do like AKGs, but I would reccommend the K712 or the K702 65th Anniversary Edition over the Q701. Q701/K701 are best with a super powerful warm amp. AKGs have a tendency to sound thin unless they have a TON of current running through them. Just my two cents.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #6,495 of 8,309
+1 on the Orange globe. Made my jaw drop when paired with dt880s. I get the same feeling new with a sylvania tube, 6bk7b

any tube else that it makes you that feeling?? that sylvania still that good?? not over heating problems?

Regards and thanks for your opinions!

edit:
also I would like to ask about the equipment you people are using, bcs I was Reading almost the 400 pages and some of you are using the DAC to give signal to a AMP or AVR for a speakers and others for headphones, and that it make me a bit confused about the tube`s profiles...bcs seems that a good tuve for speakers is not the same for headphones...personally I play music with a beyer DT880 pro 250ohm , AKG 551, Vsonic gr07, and AKG k319.
What do you think??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back