Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #6,466 of 8,309
So for the last week or so I have been comparing the T1 to many other dacs. Many other very expensive dacs. The T1 is still king on the dac side....not so much on the headphone side....

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #6,467 of 8,309
  So for the last week or so I have been comparing the T1 to many other dacs. Many other very expensive dacs. The T1 is still king on the dac side....not so much on the headphone side....

You meant the headphone amp part? Yeah, Aune's headphone amp part is just 'so-so', nothing special. When the dip switches set to full +16dB, it's quite 'dirty' sounding. 

Understandable though, the headphone amp circuit is only $8. I know for sure, because I wrecked the original one, and I ordered a few replacements from Aune. It costed $8.

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #6,469 of 8,309
Can anyone recommend me an amp that fit with the aune? Currently considering O2 or Vali because I also wanna buy Q701.

I'm a big fan of the O2, but it wouldn't be my first choice to pair with AKGs. I feel like AKGs need a warm, musical (and very powerful!) amp to sound their best. I find the O2 tends to sound better with more "fun" sounding headphones like DT990s, Fidelio X1s and Grados. But everybody's tastes are different.

If you are looking for a deal, Amazon has a couple of b-stock Schiit Asgard 2 amps for $199 at the moment. I understand it pairs very, very well with the T1. They will have a small cosmetic defect of some kind, but they come brand new with a full 5 year warranty from Schiit at a deep discount.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #6,471 of 8,309
I use a t1 with an amperex 7308 and an Asgard 2 with senn hd580's and it sounds great.

Took the plunge, eh? How do you like the sound of the Asgard compaired to your vintage receiver?

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #6,472 of 8,309
At first I wasn't happy, but after breaking it in it sounds really good. The vintage dynaco sca-50 is warmer, and has a bit more bass, but after breaking in the Asgard 2, I like it better. A/Bing the 2 is super easy because of the line outs on the Asgard. The sound is close, but after volume matching as best I could, and going back and forth a zillion times, the Asgard just has better detail. Both are warm sounding, but the vintage integrated may be a bit too warm for me. I decided to keep both, and use the integrated for my turntable, which has turned into a horror story lol. Hooked up my thorens td 145 I haven't used in years, and there's a very nasty hum in the right channel, awesome. Then I go into the attic to grab my spare, which is an older technics, and no sound out of the left channel. I can't win lol...

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #6,474 of 8,309
At first I wasn't happy, but after breaking it in it sounds really good. The vintage dynaco sca-50 is warmer, and has a bit more bass, but after breaking in the Asgard 2, I like it better. A/Bing the 2 is super easy because of the line outs on the Asgard. The sound is close, but after volume matching as best I could, and going back and forth a zillion times, the Asgard just has better detail. Both are warm sounding, but the vintage integrated may be a bit too warm for me. I decided to keep both, and use the integrated for my turntable, which has turned into a horror story lol. Hooked up my thorens td 145 I haven't used in years, and there's a very nasty hum in the right channel, awesome. Then I go into the attic to grab my spare, which is an older technics, and no sound out of the left channel. I can't win lol...

Interesting, though not totally unexpected. I'm tempted to pick one up for a home rig upgrade for that b-stock price, but another amp is about the last thing I need right now.

Sucks about your turntable! I paid a visit to a little shop in the Twin Cities called the Needle Doctor yesterday to audition an HD800. The headphone was great, but it made me realize how desperately I need to upgrade my sources!

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #6,475 of 8,309
I'm a big fan of the O2, but it wouldn't be my first choice to pair with AKGs. I feel like AKGs need a warm, musical (and very powerful!) amp to sound their best. I find the O2 tends to sound better with more "fun" sounding headphones like DT990s, Fidelio X1s and Grados. But everybody's tastes are different.

If you are looking for a deal, Amazon has a couple of b-stock Schiit Asgard 2 amps for $199 at the moment. I understand it pairs very, very well with the T1. They will have a small cosmetic defect of some kind, but they come brand new with a full 5 year warranty from Schiit at a deep discount.

Oh schiit it's something more expensive. Though I'd love to get it, Germany doesn't have it. 
Things that I have found are mixed up, it kinda makes me confused.
One said O2 pairs good with AKG while others said Vali is better than O2 and pairs also good with AKG.
Or I might just buy HD600 instead 
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #6,476 of 8,309
Interesting, though not totally unexpected. I'm tempted to pick one up for a home rig upgrade for that b-stock price, but another amp is about the last thing I need right now.

Sucks about your turntable! I paid a visit to a little shop in the Twin Cities called the Needle Doctor yesterday to audition an HD800. The headphone was great, but it made me realize how desperately I need to upgrade my sources!
What headphones are you using? I really like the dac section of the t1, but the amp was not doing my headphones justice. Upgrading the amp made a giant difference. I feel 200 bucks is a steal for a class a amp

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #6,477 of 8,309
Oh schiit it's something more expensive. Though I'd love to get it, Germany doesn't have it. 
One said O2 pairs good with AKG while others said Vali is better than O2 and pairs also good with AKG.
Or I might just buy HD600 instead :confused_face(1):
My hd580's are basically the older version of the hd600's, same drivers, different grills, all parts interchangeable. The t1 with a good tube and the Asgard 2 pair very well with the 580/600's. End game, at least for a while lol...

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #6,478 of 8,309
Or I might just buy HD600 instead :confused_face(1):

I'm sorry if I added to your confusion. It's really more of a matter of personal taste. People are just sharing their unique opinions, there's no definnitive best, only a "best for your preferences."

If you prefer a very analytical and neutral sound, O2 and AKG make a wonderful pairing. Some people might find this combo a bit boring, but if you want a lot of detail and soundstage and don't care to add extra punch and warmth to the sound, it might be for you.

I haven't tried the Vali, so I can't comment on it.

For what it's worth, I think if you have the option of choosing a Q701 or HD600, the HD600 will be a better investment for most people long term. It pairs well with anything and everything musically and scales up to infinity with your equipment... But again, it's all a matter of personal preferences.

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #6,479 of 8,309
My hd580's are basically the older version of the hd600's, same drivers, different grills, all parts interchangeable. The t1 with a good tube and the Asgard 2 pair very well with the 580/600's. End game, at least for a while lol...

Or maybe I'll just buy the headphones first and deal with the T1 built in amp for a while....
I don't really want the O2 because everything's in front and has batteries.
The Schiit might be the better option, I could buy the Vali right away but need to wait longer for Asgard

I'm sorry if I added to your confusion. It's really more of a matter of personal taste. People are just sharing their unique opinions, there's no definnitive best, only a "best for your preferences."

If you prefer a very analytical and neutral sound, O2 and AKG make a wonderful pairing. Some people might find this combo a bit boring, but if you want a lot of detail and soundstage and don't care to add extra punch and warmth to the sound, it might be for you.

I haven't tried the Vali, so I can't comment on it.

For what it's worth, I think if you have the option of choosing a Q701 or HD600, the HD600 will be a better investment for most people long term. It pairs well with anything and everything musically and scales up to infinity with your equipment... But again, it's all a matter of personal preferences.

That's what I thought too, but I think most popular desktop amp will sound better to me. And yes I do like details and soundstage 
biggrin.gif

But the problem with O2 is as mentioned. 
Even the Aune itself actually sound pretty good already to me, but I'm now curious on how it will improve with desktop amp. Because you know.... this is, uh... head-fi.
I'm grateful I got the Aune because I don't want to charge my X3+Cayin C5 every night after I use it while at home

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #6,480 of 8,309
T1 vs. O2 is not night and day at all. Knowing what I know now, I'd say this: buy the end game headphone you want and use the T1 while you save up to buy the right amp for it. You'll save yourself a lot of money that way. Otherwise, you end up bleeding money on incremental upgrades trying to get the sound you want out of lesser equipment. Cry once, as they say... It's cheaper to spend $1,000 once than it is to spend $150 10 times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back