Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Sep 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #6,001 of 8,309
  Quote:

What are you plugging in that you need that kind of protection?

Just the following chain ; PC > T1 > stereo amp.

I wrote detailed posts about my issues with static and all kinds of EMI noise emanating from my PC, so I needed a device to filter that crap out. The Olimex is the only thing that fixed the issue and that was after an entire month of going absolutely ape trying to fix this problem.

Search for my posts in this thread for the history, if you're interested.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #6,002 of 8,309
Hello everyone,

Very new to headphones and head -fi!  Stumbled upon this Forum and within the last 4 weeks have bought Momentums, and HD700 and an Aune T1 Mk2.  I had a real quick question about the AUNE.  Is its tube buffering supposed to work when an external dac is connected to the audio outs??  I have a cheap Dac that I wanted to run thru the Aune (just for fun).  Its left output goes to Left Aune audio out and Its right to the right aune audio in.  when I switch between USB and line it sounds "tubey" on usb, like when i'm using the T1 by itself.  When I switch to line I can tell there is  a difference, but still not sure if its just the signal going in thru different paths.

Any help on clearing this up would really help,

thanks

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #6,003 of 8,309
  Hello everyone,

Very new to headphones and head -fi!  Stumbled upon this Forum and within the last 4 weeks have bought Momentums, and HD700 and an Aune T1 Mk2.  I had a real quick question about the AUNE.  Is its tube buffering supposed to work when an external dac is connected to the audio outs??  I have a cheap Dac that I wanted to run thru the Aune (just for fun).  Its left output goes to Left Aune audio out and Its right to the right aune audio in.  when I switch between USB and line it sounds "tubey" on usb, like when i'm using the T1 by itself.  When I switch to line I can tell there is  a difference, but still not sure if its just the signal going in thru different paths.

Any help on clearing this up would really help,

thanks

Welcome to Head-Fi!

If I'm reading your post correctly, and you're connecting an external DAC into the T1 through the line in, you are just using the solid-state amp of the Aune. That means that the tube will be bypassed. The tube of the T1 can only be used when you're sending the digital audio bits through USB into the Aune's DAC.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #6,004 of 8,309
Hello chowmien,

Actually, I have a dac connected to my bedroom TV. I wanted to connect my headphones to it using the Aune. Accidentally, I connected the external dac to the aune's rca outputs instead of its inputs. It sounds slightly different than when I connect the external dac to the aune's rca line inputs. I don't have the USB connected at all. I then connected the L and R output from ext. dac. One went to aune's rca line in, the other to aune's rca line out. I then use the USB/line switch at the top to toggle between the two for comparison of the sound, even though it's through different sides of the headphones (L or R depending on the switch).

They do sound slightly different. It sounded like it was using the tube when connected through the aune rca outputs and toggled to USB on the switch. It sounded like its not using the tube when connected to the aune inputs and toggled to line on the switch. I figured that when I connected the external dac by accident to the Aune's line outputs, that no sound should have come out of the aune into my headphones. When it did play into my headphones it sounded like it was utilizing the tube with the external dac.

I don't think I'm understandanding completely how this works, but its a lot of fun!!! And rather expensive.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #6,006 of 8,309
Maybe they have the breaker box 500V main going straight to USB?

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #6,007 of 8,309

I'm using that kind of stuff while I work on equipment at work (voltages up to 1000V), but I don't see a reason why you need that for the T1. Normally you wouldn't need that unless there is something very wrong with your inhouse wiring. 

Nothing wrong with the wiring. Used a tester to verify this and had my electrician confirm everything was clean. Nevertheless, the issue persisted.

I've encountered this problem in every single home I ever lived in in my life regardless of what I was using. I was just glad to finally be rid of this problem.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #6,008 of 8,309
Well, shi*t. I'm having a problem with my T1. Today when I got back home I turned it on, put on some music and I noticed that there's channel imbalance. I've had my unit for nearly a year now (running the same tube), and never had such problems. The left side is slightly louder than the right, it's not that big but it's enough to drive you crazy. I'd be really disappointed if this is from the unit itself and not the tube as I have my Amperex 7308 delivered tomorrow. Anyone else have this problem?

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #6,010 of 8,309

Nothing wrong with the wiring. Used a tester to verify this and had my electrician confirm everything was clean. Nevertheless, the issue persisted.

I've encountered this problem in every single home I ever lived in in my life regardless of what I was using. I was just glad to finally be rid of this problem.

Strange. But I'm glad you were able to solve that problem.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #6,011 of 8,309
Hello again guys,

Sorry for all the neophyte questions.

Ok, been sittin here playing with th Aune.  Is it OK to use the Aune line outputs as a secondary input when the USB is not being used?  Say I wanted to connect two external dacs, one from the tv and another from the Apple TV for late night watching, and only using the USB when listening to music from my computer.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #6,012 of 8,309
Well, shi*t. I'm having a problem with my T1. Today when I got back home I turned it on, put on some music and I noticed that there's channel imbalance. I've had my unit for nearly a year now (running the same tube), and never had such problems. The left side is slightly louder than the right, it's not that big but it's enough to drive you crazy. I'd be really disappointed if this is from the unit itself and not the tube as I have my Amperex 7308 delivered tomorrow. Anyone else have this problem?

I take it you tried adjusting the gain dips? Hopefully it sorts itself out... Did you try RCA in so it's just the amp as opposed to the DAC?

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #6,013 of 8,309
Hello again guys,

Ok, been sittin here playing with th Aune.  Is it OK to use the Aune line outputs as a secondary input when the USB is not being used?  Say I wanted to connect two external dacs, one from the tv and another from the Apple TV for late night watching, and only using the USB when listening to music from my computer.

You can use the RCA input on the Aune T1 to listen to a different DAC through the T1's headphone amp.

I don't follow about plugging a source into the RCA output of the T1 though... This doesn't make any sense to me.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #6,014 of 8,309
You can use the RCA input on the Aune T1 to listen to a different DAC through the T1's headphone amp.

I don't follow about plugging a source into the RCA output of the T1 though... This doesn't make any sense to me.

I try to plug in my DAC via Aune output, it is not working and I don't think it work like that.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #6,015 of 8,309
  Hello again guys,

Quote:

Yeah, this is what I don't get... why would there be sound coming out of the T1's RCA output? That's usually used for when you want use the Aune's DAC but route the sound to another amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back