Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 6, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #5,746 of 8,309
  So my Rockets finally came in yesterday, but I'm having some issues. The sound is not what I expected at all. While I didn't have high expectations, I didn't expect it to sound this bad. It makes my HE-400 sound like they have broken drivers. There is a thick veil over the sound and the bass is extremely muddy and not textured at all. Is this just a bad pairing with the HE-400 or did I get bad tubes?

Make sure your T1 is set to 0db gain. Maybe you're overdriving them? Sure sounds like a possibility to me, based on your description.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #5,747 of 8,309
Hello all. I have an aune t1 rev1 and was wondering if this will drive he-500s properly . I tried searching but couldn't find anything definitive. I'm looking to pick up this headphone if so.

I know they can drive the he400, but I may want to take the next step with the 500s to compliment my grade rs2.

Thanks all

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #5,748 of 8,309
Hello all. I have an aune t1 rev1 and was wondering if this will drive he-500s properly . I tried searching but couldn't find anything definitive. I'm looking to pick up this headphone if so.

I know they can drive the he400, but I may want to take the next step with the 500s to compliment my grade rs2.

Thanks all
I didn't do an extensive test but I did try it out a few days ago. They sound pretty good when running directly from the T1. I prefer my NFB12.1 but no complaints whatsoever if the T1 is my only option.

E: Also, most HE-500 owners recommend 1 W to drive them, Aune T1 can do 1W into 32 ohms. He-500s are 38 ohms so it's pretty close.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #5,750 of 8,309

Thanks all

I had a pair of 500s for a very short time, but they seemed to work fine with the Aune. I was using the stock EH 6922 tube at the time. That being said you'll probably want to get a better standalone amp to complement the DAC portion of the Aune eventually, even if only something like an O2.

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #5,753 of 8,309
  Hey there cutie pies. I have a Aune T1 paired with a DT 880 250Ohms. It has the improved stock tube. I'm looking for an affordable upgrade, any suggestions plz?

I suggest an Amperex Holland Orange Globe 6DJ8 tube. Can be had on eBay for ~$20-$40 and adds a sweet, spacious sound that made my closed headphones(V-MODA M-100) sound almost open. You can also run your Aune T1 as a DAC and use another amp with it. I run my T1 into a FiiO E9. Even doing it with a portable amp like the E17 sounds good.

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #5,754 of 8,309
Heyas, just a quick note.

I've got my hands on the Schiit Magni/Modi combo in the last week and I've been comparing it to my Aune T1 with ELNA Silmic II caps installed.

My impressions:

The Modi is a good DAC... very clean sounding, decent bass, pleasant sounding mids and decent highs. 

The Aune T1 can produce deeper/tighter bass (with the Siemens E88CC tube I have), about the same clarity and smooth sounding mids, but definitely more extended and nuanced highs with my Amperex tubes (my personal fave is the 7308). I hear nuances in the guitars and vocals that don't translate with the Magni/Modi and it makes me sad.

The Modi does seem to have a wider soundstage, and very a silky smooth presentation when used with a tube amp (I tried it with my Woo WA2). I enjoyed it with the Woo amp, but it was still missing the highs that I love with my T1. Overall, the Magni/Modi combo is good, but I prefer the T1. 

As I know own the Magni/Modi and WA2, I can play around some more. Just wanted to put this out there for people considering the T1 vs. the Magni/Modi. Any other questions feel free to ask me.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #5,756 of 8,309
Yep, 1:1 although Aune puts different caps in every T1 (which changes the sound between every unit).

Per a bunch of other members suggestions, this is what is in mine:

Headphone amp board coupling caps > ELNA SilmicII 47uF 50V
Headphone amp board rail voltage caps > ELNA SilmicII 470uF 25V
Secondary power supply caps > ELNA SilmicII 470uF 25V
Main power supply caps > Panasonic FR 3300uF 25V

Also, they don't really fit very well, unless you have some skills like a couple people here. I don't have a bottom cover on mine, but the upgraded sound is totally worth it, in my opinion.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #5,757 of 8,309
Just picked up a used Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. (Caliente?) amp from the classifieds that I'm running my Aune T1 through to my Sig Pros. Listening to The Megas Get Acoustic, and I can hear every time the guitarist's fingers move on the fretboard. If it weren't such an awesome experience, this would be distracting, hahaha.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #5,758 of 8,309
Yep, 1:1 although Aune puts different caps in every T1 (which changes the sound between every unit).

Per a bunch of other members suggestions, this is what is in mine:

Headphone amp board coupling caps > ELNA SilmicII 47uF 50V
Headphone amp board rail voltage caps > ELNA SilmicII 470uF 25V
Secondary power supply caps > ELNA SilmicII 470uF 25V
Main power supply caps > Panasonic FR 3300uF 25V

Also, they don't really fit very well, unless you have some skills like a couple people here. I don't have a bottom cover on mine, but the upgraded sound is totally worth it, in my opinion.

Cool - just ordered a set from Digi-Key since they have it all in stock...  Should be okay to run a few short leads to aid placement.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #5,759 of 8,309
  Hey there cutie pies. I have a Aune T1 paired with a DT 880 250Ohms. It has the improved stock tube. I'm looking for an affordable upgrade, any suggestions plz?

I have DT 990 250Ohms, so far my favorite tube is a GE 6AQ8 from holland, but word of warning, 6AQ8s don't always play nice with T1s, I have 2 that give off a very distorted sound (one of them being the GE tube as it used to work perfectly but then developed that issue after almost a year).
I'm currently using an RCA 6AQ8 that comes close to the GE, a good alternative if you can't find a GE.

If you want to play it safe and not get a 6AQ8, I would recommend a USA made 6DJ8, I currently have two, a Sylvania and a GE which I'll be posting a review of shortly.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #5,760 of 8,309
As a beginner in the headphone game I did it simple bought the MK2 hooked it up to my computer USB and came out from my Oppo into the amp! The Oppo DAC serves me just fine might be weird but it works for me I just wanted to enjoy the HD650's as well as bypass the Onkyo TX-N626 headphone jack. I'm using this just to add the headphones to my equipment. Portability is my Fiio X3 and PSB M4U2 cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back