Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #5,598 of 8,309

I just got me an ODAC + Lyr (with '74 Voskhod Rocket Logos) for my HE-560. I got an ODAC since I didn't want to deal with tube rolling at both the DAC and amp stage (finding the perfect synergy would be hard) and the Lyr for more power to bring out the most in these orthos. I just did a side-by-side comparison of the ODAC vs Aune T1 DAC (with my Amperex 7308) and Lyr vs Aune T1 Amp and it really wasn't that easy to pick out the differences. The differences were far more subtle between the DACs (couldn't hear the difference on classic rock tracks but separation and bass extension was better with the ODAC on EDM tracks; the Aune T1 DAC was smoother but slightly less detailed), and slightly more obvious with the Amps (Aune T1 had more pronounce, sibilant highs, slightly less separation, and less textured bass).

The Aune T1 is definitely amazing value. You experience diminishing returns upgrading from it, but such is the nature of this hobby :)

Thanks for the reply.  Regarding the Aune T1 amp, I use an Asgard 2.  Much better than T1's amp, IMHO.

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #5,599 of 8,309
Thanks very much for the impressions and comparison stjj89.

I would really love to hear a Lyr up against the T1 with upgraded caps... the sound quality difference from stock to elna silmic ii's was night and day for me. (my caps now have over 100 hours and they're still actually opening up and revealing more detail with more burn in... astounding).

I plan on hooking up my HE-500s next week, using the T1's DAC and an Emotiva Mini-x amp. Tried listening to them and nothing I had could properly drive them, so I went with the cheap speaker amp for now. I've also been rolling the OG (GAC date code with a halo getter) and falling more in love with this tube... hopefully it sounds killer with HE-500s. Right now, the T1 is driving my HD-650s beautifully.

Thanks to everyone else posting in the last while, good reads.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #5,603 of 8,309
Hey all im new to the forum but have been lurking for quite some time! I recently took the plunge and bought some hifiman he-400's with the aune t1 and the 6922 tube. I do have the mk2 version and it is working beautifully, i think? Loving this set up! Thanks for all the great info here!

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #5,604 of 8,309
  DOA, but probably just a dead power brick though.

Anyone else using the MKII here or will I be the first one?

I have the MK2 as well! I love it so far

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #5,605 of 8,309
Hey all im new to the forum but have been lurking for quite some time! I recently took the plunge and bought some hifiman he-400's with the aune t1 and the 6922 tube. I do have the mk2 version and it is working beautifully, i think? Loving this set up! Thanks for all the great info here!

Hey Hi-fried, glad you're enjoying your setup! Just wanted to mention that the impedance of the HE-400s is pretty low (35 ohms or so) which probably means that you could probably achieve improvement in your sound if you used the T1 with a separate amp. The T1's output impedance is 10 ohms, which makes it hard to "fully/properly drive" headphones lower than around 80 ohms impedance to their full potential. (The "high" output impedance of the T1 will actually cause the headphone frequency response to skew, so to speak.) The T1's amp will probably sound loud enough, but I'm just putting it out there to maybe try using the T1's DAC with an amp that has lower output impedance. (4 ohms or less would probably be the ballpark).

Just to give you an idea, when I plug my HE-500s into the T1's amp, the bass loses its punch, the mids sound mushy, and the highs are extremely rolled off. (It's much more noticeable after you hear what the headphones can actually sound like with an amp better suited to their impedance :wink: Maybe you already use another amp? 

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #5,606 of 8,309
Can somebody show us inside shots of the MKII to see what exactly was changed (along with any outside changes).

These pictures show as little as possible, I want to see the caps on the bottom of both pictures and the DAC + OpAmps where applicable.

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #5,609 of 8,309
To anybody that's wondering whether their low-impedance headphones will sound bad out of the T1, I personally am using a T1 with Amperex OG's driving a Sennheiser HD598 and I honestly can't hear any noticeable defects in the sound signature (and yes, I have compared it to something with much lower output impedance - the FiiO E17). It may be that the T1 won't drive something like my 598's to their full potential, but IMO unless you get something that is significantly better than the T1, you won't notice. (Like what Mikoss said about plugging in the HE-500 into the T1.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back