Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 18, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #5,432 of 8,309
I've got a T1 and X1 and 9 different tubes. I can give you some impressions if I get a little time to do so.

What type of tubes do you have?  Any Siemens CCa or any other German made tubes?

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #5,433 of 8,309
I'm on the hunt for an inexpensive German-made Siemens, Mullard, Telefunken, or GE branded tube at the moment. Right now, most of my tubes are Amperex. Here's what I've got so far:

1962 Holland Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 Bugle Boy Large Halo Getter (Tektronix)
1963 Holland Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 White Label Small Halo Getter
1964 USA Amperex USN-CEP E188CC/7308 Vintage Gold Pin White Label Large Halo Getter (cryo treated)
1970 Holland Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 Orange Globe A Frame Dimple Disc Getter
1972 Holland GE ECC85/6AQ8 Single Leg Dimple Disc Getter
1976 Gt. Britain (Mullard) Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 Orange Globe A Frame Dimple Disc Getter
2013 Russian Genalex E88CC/6922 Gold Lion
2013 Russian Electro-Harmonix E88CC/6922EH (#1)
2013 Russian Electro-Harmonix E88CC/6922EH (#2)

My Fidelio X1's are new and I haven't put many hours on them yet.

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #5,434 of 8,309
Welp, just snapped one of the gain switches off, praying that it snapped off into the off position at least. Is there a way to fix  the switch? It's annoying how brittle and stiff these switches are...

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #5,435 of 8,309
You can look on somewhere like Mouser and get another switch and solder it in after removing the old one.  That is if you are comfortable with soldering/desoldering.

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #5,437 of 8,309
Yeah, I went back and re-read his post, the last sentence makes more sense now. He wasn't say "it's still(calm)", he's saying that "it's still [there]". My bad.
redface.gif

Man I always feel bad when someone stands corrected. My bad for getting off at the wrong foot too.

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #5,439 of 8,309
Yeah that would be great.

Also if you could take value for money into account too. As some valves out there are crazy expensive.
Since the Fildelios have a rather "V" shaped sound signature, I find tubes that boost the mids sound the best in my own set up. I gave a quick audition with all my tubes on the same tracks and for me I like the sound of the white label Amperex 6DJ8 and Amperex Bugle Boy the most (though you may note from my tube collection I'm partial to the Amperex sound). The Genalex Gold Lion was really good too and has a similar sound signature to the stock 6922EH tube, just with everything better across the range. It gives mid vocals a little more prominence. You also can't go wrong with an Orange Globe tube.

The Gold Lion is a bit on the expensive side for what you can get in a better sounding vintage tube IMO. You can pick up a multiple vintage tubes for the price of one Gold Lion on eBay if you are patient. I only paid $5 for the white label 6DJ8 and $9 for the Bugle Boy both of which sound better to me.

Again, my Fidelios are brand new and I haven't properly burned them in yet so my impressions may change over time. Also, I've got a GE ECC86 tube on its way. I might add impressions for that tube later.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #5,440 of 8,309
So? Any issue? :)
If you have a RCA male to 3.5mm female, you can try using that to see if it's just the amp doing it. I think you might have a defective unit tho. Good luck w/ that.

Man I always feel bad when someone stands corrected. My bad for getting off at the wrong foot too.
It's all good. You're probably just working out T1 frustrations. :wink:

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #5,444 of 8,309
Good news, there are some official distributors for Aune here in my country (Malaysia) and I've contacted one to ask if she could help with the repairing of the unit. The unit will be sent back to the factory in China through her so it should be fine.

Finally, I can get over the annoying channel imbalance. Pfffttt...

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #5,445 of 8,309
What type of tubes do you have?  Any Siemens CCa or any other German made tubes?

I have the Siemans E88CC Gold. It is a fine, very musical tube. In my opinion not quite up to the Amperex 7308, which remains my go to tube. The Voskhod is, very well suited for rock, a bit too "in your face" for classical, which constitutes a good deal of my listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back