Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 6, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #5,373 of 8,309
  I got the camera out and zoomed in and it seems my Mullard ecc85 is 1u7 delta 4H1 (not 9H1 as advertised) (delta meaning a triangle on it's side)

The 1u7 part the 1 is just a small stroke so I'm guessing a number 1.

I sorry if anyone has bought an ECC85 because I said that my two were better sounding than any ecc88 and then found their new Ecc85 distorted when played.

I too have now bought a third  and it distorts badly.

However, unless someone tells me the ECC85 is going to hurt the Aune T1, then it will be in there a long long time.

It's superb (or for most of the forum "Awesome", the first and only time I will use the word.) Showing my age I guess
biggrin.gif

If it were me I'd PM Coil about it.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #5,374 of 8,309
The hit/ miss pairing of the ECC85 with the Aune T1 really makes it a financial gamble.
It seems less tolerant than recommended tubes where even if you buy a less specific model but same type, it still works without distortion, albeit maybe not as beautifully or the stated impression.

I appreciate everyone posting their experiences especially the tube experts.

I'm almost inclined to avoid the ECC85 altogether even if I find one that exactly matches one of your working ones, correct?

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #5,375 of 8,309
I wonder if ECC85 compatibility is device specific. Meaning, a tube that works fine for one person's T1 does not work for someone else's T1.

Are the ECC86 tubes a gamble as well?

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #5,376 of 8,309
I wonder if ECC85 compatibility is device specific. Meaning, a tube that works fine for one person's T1 does not work for someone else's T1.

Are the ECC86 tubes a gamble as well?

No. It has to do with the gain/plate resistances. The circuit is not set up for ECC85/6AQ8. Some just happen to work great, some do not. 

But, as I said many many pages back, to fix the distortion simply turn the player volume down a tad on your computer and turn up the Aune. There is no set standard/value/brand/test that will determine which ECC85 will work everytime. I use a GE blackplate 6AQ8 every day that has zero distortion with all volumes maxed. 

Any why is there an "APPROVED" list for tubes that will work? That is silly.......

If it were me I'd PM Coil about it.

And I am the one who did all the research on the different tubes we can use BTW......The one who first recapped it, traced out the signal path, etc. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #5,377 of 8,309
No. It has to do with the gain/plate resistances. The circuit is not set up for ECC85/6AQ8. Some just happen to work great, some do not. 

How does ECC86/6GM8 compare with respect to gain/plate resistance, etc?

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #5,378 of 8,309
How does ECC86/6GM8 compare with respect to gain/plate resistance, etc?

Google ECC86 datasheet and whatever else you want to compare it to. 

As for ECC85/6AQ8 tubes that will work, would anyone be interested in ones I have personally tested to work fine? I have a few......hundred.......of them.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #5,379 of 8,309
From what I've read, the difference is only in the heater current:

E88CC (stock for Aune T1) & ECC88 = 365mA
ECC85 = 435 mA
ECC86 = 330 mA

I don't know what that means exactly. The ECC85 obviously draws more current which is probably why some don't work in the Aune T1 which is designed for E88CC tubes. It looks like the ECC86 tubes would be a safe bet since it draws a little less. Is my thinking correct?

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #5,380 of 8,309
  As for ECC85/6AQ8 tubes that will work, would anyone be interested in ones I have personally tested to work fine? I have a few......hundred.......of them.

I'm interesting. Do you have Brimar/Mullard/Telefunken?

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #5,381 of 8,309

ECC85 = 435 mA
ECC86 = 330 mA

I don't know what that means exactly. The ECC85 obviously draws more current which is probably why some don't work in the Aune T1 which is designed for E88CC tubes. It looks like the ECC86 tubes would be a safe bet since it draws a little less. Is my thinking correct?

I'm thinking maybe it has to do with replacing the caps?
Higher quality caps might be able to handle the load better or something.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #5,382 of 8,309

ECC85 = 435 mA
ECC86 = 330 mA

Current draw from the heaters is not that relevant. Sure, it shouldn't draw a massive amount of current, but the problem with other tube types is that they have other characteristics. Different capacitances, different curves.

I tried some ECC85 from Siemens with no luck. 3 of them were badly distorted. Only one of them kind of worked, but I didn't like the sound.
I did try two Valvo E288CC. They draw a lot of current (475mA), but they did work just fine. Was one of my favorite tubes until I got my hands on a Adzam E88CC SQ yesterday.

I'm thinking maybe it has to do with replacing the caps?
Higher quality caps might be able to handle the load better or something.

No, changing the caps wouldn't change anything. I have other caps in my Aune. The ECC85s I own still don't work. As I said, it is totally independent from the heater current.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #5,385 of 8,309
Are they Philips MINIWATT SQ E88CC?  If so, if you can find one for under $100 with 75%+ of the life left, grab it.  They go all day for $130+, especially if you don't like Ebay for tubes (all my tubes are off Ebay, all NOS ones too)  Show a pic of the tube, Philips made like three kinds of the SQ.

Does it look like this: http://www.tubemonger.com/Philips_Miniwatt_MINT_NOS_1962_SQ_E88CC_6922_p/210.htm

If you are looking at a Miniwatt (even though I have no experience with them, may be awesome tubes), but for that money you can get a Siemens CCa, which is one of the highest regarded E88CC with highly limited stock (they were never supposed to leave Germany).

Do you know what Country it was made in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back