Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 31, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #5,328 of 8,309
It was a single tube on ebay. The seller doesn't have more. Item # is 380899772392 if you want to see a picture of it.

I have just purchased a Seimans (item '# 121349434162). I want to see if the copper structure is what is making the slight difference in the Mullard.

The other tube (item # 121324389346) was the first one I bought in the ECC85 range and it's still better than any ECC88 I have. I think I'll
swap back to it and spend a week or so with it to give it a longer burn in, till the Siemens arrives.

If it is the structure of the Mullard, then any similar (Featuring 10mm grey anodes , copper grid posts and dimpled disc getter . /|9H1 , Herleen , Holland 1979 )  spec would have the same sound.

May 31, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #5,329 of 8,309
  I have the an E17 and the T1, if you like bright I would say go for the T1. Also since you didn't like the E07K I can pretty much guarantee you won't like the E17, the sound signature would probably sound the same as the E07K for you.
Another thing to consider is that you can always find a tube to suit your sound preference with the T1, but if you don't like the E17 then you're stuck with that, or face paying the to ship it back for refund.

A question to the other people reading this thread, I bought a Holland GE ECC85 tube a few months ago and it has been pretty damn good but it's recently developed a distortion on the mids and lows, does this mean the tube has reached the end of its life?
I've been switching between a 6922EH and Vokshod Rocket in the meantime while waiting for a Mullard ECC85 to arrive.

@rovopio+1 to what zoney said. Fiio is a warmer fuller signature, It has similarities to the vmodas that you've tried. The t1 is more like the grados.

@zoneykidI don't think it's the tube going bad, if it's bad, usually it's not just sectional but rather the whole spectrum is affected. Try cleaning the pins and reseating the tube.

thank you for the answers... so,, about the tube testing, is that something i hv to be concern about.

from reading ebay some sellers write "tested for gas and short leak". im going to put this in my room and i have OCD. is gas something i need to worry about?

will the gas gets me (more) mentally sick like the effect of carbon monoxide poisoning or smthn...

===
really sorry for the weird question, but im genuinely curious :D

May 31, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #5,330 of 8,309

thank you for the answers... so,, about the tube testing, is that something i hv to be concern about.

from reading ebay some sellers write "tested for gas and short leak". im going to put this in my room and i have OCD. is gas something i need to worry about?

will the gas gets me (more) mentally sick like the effect of carbon monoxide poisoning or smthn...

===

I will admit I don't know much about tubes, but seeing as they're vacuumed before sealing, I doubt there'd be any significant amount of gasses left inside.

Also, from Wikipedia: "One reliability problem of tubes with oxide cathodes is the possibility that the cathode may slowly become "poisoned" by gas molecules from other elements in the tube, which reduce its ability to emit electrons. Trapped gases or slow gas leaks can also damage the cathode or cause plate (anode) current runaway due to ionization of free gas molecules."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube#Reliability

May 31, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #5,331 of 8,309

===

nothing to worry about, its more like air getting inside the tube.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #5,332 of 8,309
Just wondering, does anyone else's T1 start to sound worse after a certain time period until it's turned off and then back on? I start to hear static after a while but this is remedied quickly, but it still concerns me

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #5,335 of 8,309
thank you very much guys for your answers... ^_^

so... i couldnt find aune t1 locally. im thinking about getting one used from head-fi. i live in a 220V city. does aune t1 accept 110-240V voltage, or does the 110 and the 240 voltage unit is different unit...?
aka... i can't buy aune t1 from 110V countries... (say, the US)

===
ps: yes i asked to aune before posting here, but hvn't received answer as of yet...

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #5,336 of 8,309
  "certain time period" = roughly how long?

Are the tube pins clean? (H202+high concentrate vinegar)

Do you hear anything when you turn it on at full gain and full volume?

Um I think they're clean, they're the stock ones. I do of course hear the music but there's static along with it. The time period is roughly maybe three hours.

If you're on a windows machine, it could be the usb settings. After a time that the OS deems the USB is idle, it sets it low power. If the time period is consistent, my money's on that.

Is there a way to remedy this?

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #5,338 of 8,309
Also I've noticed static if you have RCA cables plugged into the output on the Aune, and not plugged into an amp/another piece of equipment on the other end. :p This happened to me when I was listening with headphones, and forgot I had unplugged my amp, but still had the RCA cables attached to the Aune.

@rovopio - You can use the 110V wall adapter that comes with the US version, but you will need a 220V to 110V step-down transformer (converter) that also has a 110V socket to plug into. The Aune adapter is rated at 30W, but I would go with a 100W converter just to be safe.

Here is a link for info:

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Star-Watt-240V-120V/dp/B0045RU68U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401723681&sr=8-2&keywords=220v+converter+100w

Anything that is 220V input and 110V output and at least 30W will work.

The US Aune wall adapter is rated for 50 to 60Hz, so you will not need to worry about frequency, just voltage.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #5,339 of 8,309
I came across cleaning earlier in this thread. Although I don't think it's the cause of your static. It will definitely improve the sound of tubes that accumulate oxidation on the pins. When I was a kid, I use to clean old pennies that way, lol. Look back and check out the proper method, including making a cardboard guard at the base using an old milk or juice carton. 
I can't remember if my stock tube was very oxidized or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back