Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #5,191 of 8,309
I spent some time reading pages from this thread but am still iffy on how well adding this type of tube dac/amp to my system would improve my listening experience.

I have never used anything other than "motherboard" sound (currently Realtek ALC1150 Codec) for my listening nor have I ever used an amp so I don't know if I would notice a difference. I am currently using mainly my hd598's which already have a wide sound stage and good highs. Would adding this dac/amp change any of that? And if it did would it be in a good enough way to justify the costs? (I looked over the tube review posts and have gravitated towards the 7308's. However adding together the costs, the new tube + the AuneT1 would be about 260 dollars which was about the same I paid for my headphones)

Any response is appreciated as I am relatively new to the more "audiophile" side of music listening hardware.

May 4, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #5,192 of 8,309
Well the HD 598's are some pretty nice headphones I'd say with stock tube it'd sound a little better than your onboard audio, but you replace the tube with an Orange Globe or maybe even the 7308 which I haven't heard yet. But I just bought an Orange globe from ebay for $8 so um yea your call but seriously start with Orange Globe I say and if then you can't tell any difference then pack it up and resell it on here or ebay.

And the Aune and tube shouldn't cost you anywhere near $260. You can get lucky on ebay the most I've paid yet for an Orange globe on ebay is $16 per tube. And the one I just got couple hours ago was like I said only $8 plus $5 shipping. Just be patient and it'll come to ya.

As for as being worth it you can't upgrade for much cheaper than this really so it's this well or maybe something used here in the forums from the Amp section.

Also I don't claim to be any expert in tubes, I just keep saying Orange Globe all the time because it was the first tube I thought WOW yea there really is something to this tube rolling stuff. I wasn't impressed really at all by the bugle boy I have either for what that's worth. It was maybe better than stock to me but it's by no means close to any of my Orange Globes either.

May 5, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #5,193 of 8,309
  I spent some time reading pages from this thread but am still iffy on how well adding this type of tube dac/amp to my system would improve my listening experience.

I have never used anything other than "motherboard" sound (currently Realtek ALC1150 Codec) for my listening nor have I ever used an amp so I don't know if I would notice a difference. I am currently using mainly my hd598's which already have a wide sound stage and good highs. Would adding this dac/amp change any of that? And if it did would it be in a good enough way to justify the costs? (I looked over the tube review posts and have gravitated towards the 7308's. However adding together the costs, the new tube + the AuneT1 would be about 260 dollars which was about the same I paid for my headphones)

Any response is appreciated as I am relatively new to the more "audiophile" side of music listening hardware.

I thought the same but was tempted, so I pulled the trigger almost on impulse. I didn't think I'd be able to notice the difference, so I was wondering if I just wasted money. Now that I have the unit, I can honestly say that there is a difference. Not sure if it's a placebo taking place, but there's definitely a new clarity in my music especially in acoustic songs. Onboard sound was adequate at first for me, and now I see why many purchase external DAC's/amps. Since this uses tubes, try getting a warm sounding tube to complement your HD 598's. I'm not that much of an expert in audio gear, but this purchase was worth it.

May 5, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #5,194 of 8,309
6SL7 and 6SN7 are the tubes family i wanted to know if works
i guess it wont

May 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #5,195 of 8,309
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-6SN7-TO-ECC88-6DJ8-6N11-6922-tube-adapter-for-you-amp-/191082281033?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2c7d643849 should work with this , but dont quote me for it tho.

May 7, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #5,196 of 8,309
Hi!
My Aune T1 just arrived, I puted one Amperex ECC88 tube and I'm pretty happy. With DT880 600ohm it's sounds just wonderful and I'm not yet sure but I think I prefer the sound of Aune amp instead through M-Stage. I'm in the team now :)

May 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #5,197 of 8,309
Hey,

I've received my Aune T1 I ordered. I set everything up and plugged the USB input in and I'm only getting sound coming into the right ear of my headphones. There is still a bit of sound in the left ear, but much quieter than the right.

I then hooked it up through analog inputs (so bypassing the DAC), and got sound in both ears just fine. 

I'm using a Macbook Pro as a source and ATH W1000x headphones (I also tried some Sennheiser earbuds which replicated the same problem). 

I've read that USB 3.0 ports could be trouble (that's all my laptop has on it) - could they cause this kind of issue, or is this a hardware problem with the tube/dac?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

May 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #5,200 of 8,309
My Aune T1 makes a crackling noise if left to idle for more than a minute. So basically if I pump music through it as soon as the light comes on and never pause, the sound quality is fine. But if I leave it on for a few mins before starting the music or pause for a few minutes then start it again, there is a crackle/static almost as loud as the music. Short (<1min) pauses don't trigger the issue. The static crackle isn't constant, its like its a part of the music and gets louder and softer as the music gets louder and softer. Once the crackle has developed, I need to switch the unit off for a minute or so to clear it. If I flick it off and on again too quickly, the crackle is still there, but not as loud.

I tried many different tubes, issue stays the same. Does what I described sound like the kind of thing a capacitor might be responsible for? I don't have any return avenue since it was fine for the first month or so before developing this issue. Keen to fix it if I can...

May 8, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #5,201 of 8,309
  My Aune T1 makes a crackling noise if left to idle for more than a minute. So basically if I pump music through it as soon as the light comes on and never pause, the sound quality is fine. But if I leave it on for a few mins before starting the music or pause for a few minutes then start it again, there is a crackle/static almost as loud as the music. Short (<1min) pauses don't trigger the issue. The static crackle isn't constant, its like its a part of the music and gets louder and softer as the music gets louder and softer. Once the crackle has developed, I need to switch the unit off for a minute or so to clear it. If I flick it off and on again too quickly, the crackle is still there, but not as loud.

I tried many different tubes, issue stays the same. Does what I described sound like the kind of thing a capacitor might be responsible for? I don't have any return avenue since it was fine for the first month or so before developing this issue. Keen to fix it if I can...

This sounds like the same problem I had - mine would make an intermittent crackling noise if left idle as well.  I suspected it had to do with a capacitor as well and coincidentally, it was also fine for the first month or two like yours.

Oddly, my solution turned out to be among the most basic, and I have no idea why it worked.  All I did was remove the tube and all the other connections (ie AC adapter/power and audio in/out), and er...plug it back in. For some reason this did the trick for me and I haven't had a problem since.  Not sure why it worked, but it's worth a shot and easy to do.  Hope it works for you!

May 8, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #5,202 of 8,309
Thanks wippo808. I disconnected absolutely everything and plugged it all in again and mine is fixed now too. I had disconnected everything at one time or another except for the actual power cord. My working theory is that I either plugged the power supply in the other way around this time and somehow that helped or that the off switch on the device doesn't fully turn it off. In any case it doesn't matter now.

May 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #5,204 of 8,309
  Thanks wippo808. I disconnected absolutely everything and plugged it all in again and mine is fixed now too. I had disconnected everything at one time or another except for the actual power cord. My working theory is that I either plugged the power supply in the other way around this time and somehow that helped or that the off switch on the device doesn't fully turn it off. In any case it doesn't matter now.

Glad it worked.  Seems like it could be a common problem.
  The off switch turns the unit off but if you touch the brick adapter, you can feel that it keeps going hot. That might me it.

Sadly, my channel imbalance issue still has so solution :frowning2:

I don't know much about circuits but I think the AC adapter just stores idle power when the unit is off (and heat dissipation is a by-product of the transformer). One of the inherent flaws of any AC adapter.

May 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #5,205 of 8,309
Hello

I plugged my Aune t1 for the first time today, but i noticed a problem with the transformer. As soon as i powered it on it made a *boom* sound and it stopped working. Now it cant even switch on. How can i solve this problem and where i can i purchase another adapter separately?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back