Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #4,996 of 8,309
Yea if you mean powering them via the line out unless they're really small speakers no. You can't someone else somewhere along the line asked the same question and the amp section isn't anywhere near that powerful. If you run line out to a receiver like I plan on doing letting the receiver then power them , yea you still get the tube sound doing that and I can't wait to hear my paradigm studio speakers hooked up to this, not to mention my HD 650's. It's like double bonus for me I feel like.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #4,997 of 8,309
Hey everyone, I'm waiting for my Aune T1 to come in the mail, looking to get a better tube to use with it. Mainly using it for gaming and music, but I do watch movies on the computer now and then.

Computer
Headphone: HD 558, AKG K702 and DT990 250ohm.
Music: Everything, but mainly Hip-Hop, Rap, RnB and some EDM.
Games: Mainly FPS (DayZ, CS:S, BF4, TF2). But any games.

Budget: $100

Thanks!

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #4,998 of 8,309
Hi everyone,

I'm a new owner of Aune T1 with 6922EH Tube. Bought it in China for RMB780 (~USD125). The packaging is great but the installation/setup instruction is very lacking. Though it will work natively with my Win7 system, but I wanted ASIO support with Foobar2000. From their website (www.auneaudio.com) you can download ASIO4ALL v2.8 but doesn't work very well with my system. (NB: I have another Cambridge Audio DACmagic 100 installed.) This may be the reason the stock device driver may be confused. Calling their helpdesk, their engineer was asking me to search the web for a solution. Duh. Anyway, found the latest beta version of ASIO4ALL (ver 2.11 Beta 2) which works great with Foobar2000. Even though T1 supposedly only plays 24bit/96kHz Flac, with the latest ASIO4ALL, it even plays all my 24bit/192kHz music. I believe it automatically downgrade to lower resolution.

As I had it for only less than 2 days, overall I'm satisfied with its performance especially with headphones, which is my goal in the first place. Listening music with my PSB m4u 2 sounded great. Bass level is just right, not overly boomy, and I can lots of details. I believe over time, T1 will perform better. I had also tried the line-out connection from T1 to my solid state amp. Maybe it is new, the music doesn't sound bad but it is not on-par with my DacMagic 100 with ifi's iTube to my solid state amp. But then again just one of these components alone is more than twice the amount I paid for T1. So, T1 is definitely a value-for-money Tube DAC headphone amp. I'm looking forward to using it to drive my soon-to-arrive Philips Fidelio X1, and many more years of fun with it.

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #4,999 of 8,309
  Yea if you mean powering them via the line out unless they're really small speakers no. You can't someone else somewhere along the line asked the same question and the amp section isn't anywhere near that powerful. If you run line out to a receiver like I plan on doing letting the receiver then power them , yea you still get the tube sound doing that and I can't wait to hear my paradigm studio speakers hooked up to this, not to mention my HD 650's. It's like double bonus for me I feel like.

Even for active/powered speakers?

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #5,002 of 8,309

Here's two new cheapy tubes. I'm quite a fan of the JJ because I feel like the Electro Harmonix sounds a little bit too colored. Still waiting to win some amperex! Thanks for the advice guys.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #5,004 of 8,309
Yes, T1 will work with active/powered speakers. For tube buffering function, you must use the USB. Line in on T1 will only be amped for headphone.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #5,005 of 8,309
Today, I just realized my T1 acts like a tube buffer when using its Line Out to my solid state amplifier. The volume knob doesn't increase/decrease volume on my amplifier. You can also use both the Line Out and headphone at the same time. After listening more than 20+ hours with my T1, I'm liking it more and more. I had ordered 4 different tubes to play with it. Will share my experience when I have more time with it and my new tubes. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #5,006 of 8,309
More testing today. A/B-ing comparing again T1->amp and DM100->iTube->amp, the latter setup blows the T1 setup. I suspect it may be down to two reasons: 1) TE7022 can only support USB data rate up to 24bit/96kHz, and 2) T1's DAC chip PCM1793 is not on par with DacMagic 100's Wolfson WM8742. The DM100  has more open-detailed soundstage. Plus, ifi iTube's 3D HolographicSound expands the soundstage further. Playing Bruno Mars' Locked Out of Heaven, T1 cracks on bass and treble not very clear. I thought my source file is bad, but DM100+iTube setup plays through the same song perfectly. Could this be the 6922EH tube? Or, maybe I have not burn-in T1 enough. 

In any case, T1 is still a keeper as I like its interchangeable tube option and a cheap and good value-for-money tube-based DAC headphone amplifier. Looking forward to my new tubes arriving in 2-3 days time.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #5,008 of 8,309
I can't speak with certainty as I do not have my T1 yet, however it could be a combination of burn in and the tube leading to your discovery. I'm really interested in what you discover with more burn and some different tubes. Keep us updated!

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #5,009 of 8,309
Why is shipping so expensive? Over at tctubes.com: One small and light tube shipping costs:USPS Priority Mail Express International (EMS) $53.00 or USPS Priority Mail International $38.00 ....
Strange, shipping electronics is cheaper

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #5,010 of 8,309
  I can't speak with certainty as I do not have my T1 yet, however it could be a combination of burn in and the tube leading to your discovery. I'm really interested in what you discover with more burn and some different tubes. Keep us updated!

Sure will do. I have already removed the tube protection brackets getting ready for swapping new tubes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back