Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #4,981 of 8,309
Yea it's worth buying, and necessary , no but people sure have fun tube rolling. I don't even have my unit yet and I've already bought 3 tubes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amperex-6DJ8-tube-/131155674736

and these I bought too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Globe-Pair-1969-Holland-Amperex-6DJ8-ECC88-tubes-Tested-87-70-96-70-/181294939655?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a36053e07

Will they be great , who knows. But it's been fun reading the thread I'm up to page 133 or something.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #4,984 of 8,309
  Yea it's worth buying, and necessary , no but people sure have fun tube rolling. I don't even have my unit yet and I've already bought 3 tubes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amperex-6DJ8-tube-/131155674736

and these I bought too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Globe-Pair-1969-Holland-Amperex-6DJ8-ECC88-tubes-Tested-87-70-96-70-/181294939655?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a36053e07

Will they be great , who knows. But it's been fun reading the thread I'm up to page 133 or something.

Really nice! You like how the stock tube​ sounds?

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #4,985 of 8,309
Tubes can vary in price wildly , but $20 -40 for decent ones not crazy. And some can cost $100 range.

And I don't even know how I like the stock tube I haven't even got my unit yet and probably won't have it for couple weeks yet not sure. I'm just going by the 3400 posts and 210 pages I've read in this thread so far is how I'm judging what to get. The stock tube is bright , not as open from what I've read in the thread almost every single person has replaced it. I mean a Orange globe isn't that much really. And since you can use driver grade tubes with no issue it opens things up a little price wise too I'd imagine.

The first post in this thread really does have just about everything. I have weeks probably till my unit comes so I just thought I'd read through the entire thread and take the journey they did just a year later. It's been a fun read so far.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #4,986 of 8,309
Well tube reviews are on first page and also here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/2010#post_9502294

listed under...Tube Reviews & Impressions:

Well before you get yelled at for being lazy and not trying to read haha. You MUST use usb input on it to use tube. You can use line out into a Amp or receiver and get tube benefit yes. Using line in as source bypasses tube totally.

Oh you're in San Antonio huh, if you ever end up with killer tube I'm there from time to time my sister lives there you gotta let me come listen to your setup if you get killer tube haha.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #4,987 of 8,309
thanks for your response hd. trust me im all about reading my ass off but during school the last thing i have time to do is lurk on head fi sadly. 

if my set up ever has an awesome tube or is even worthy youre more than welcome to listen to it haha

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #4,988 of 8,309
  Hey guys i just ordered my Aune T1 from mass drop! There are just tooooooo many pages to read on this threat though and have yet to find exactly what im looking for. as far as tube rolling goes im looking for a tube that would be phenomenal for female vocals. i love to listen to melody gardot, norah jones, and similar music types. if any of you have any good recommendations please let me know! i will also be using my aune with some harx700 so if theres a specific tube that could pair greatly with this it would be ideal. i also plan on using my shure se215s. my other curiosity was what exactly includes the tube and what by passes it? if i use the usb in and rca out to an amp for speakers to i still have the tube? what excludes the tube on this baby?!?!?

I love the Siemens E88CC for female vocals. It aids a beautiful airyness to the highs, with nice separation and sparkle. Mullard also makes great warm E88CC's. That would be my recommendation.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #4,989 of 8,309
To bypass the sound card on my computer totally, can you run the RCA outs on the T1 into a set of powered speakers and plug a pair of headphones into the headphone out when you want quiet operation without unplugged the speakers from the unit? It'll be connected to the computer via USB.

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #4,992 of 8,309
Yes to the first question but do we know output takes precedence through the headphone jack > audio RCA out the back?

(Such that headphones plugged in = no sound to the speakers; and unplugged = speaker sound?)

If so, I might change my setup. Using a Mac mini, I currently run sound out the headphone port to HK Soundsticks and USB out to the Aune. If I pull out the headphones, sound goes out the HKs.
I was thinking of getting better speakers and using the Aune for them.

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #4,995 of 8,309
I think he's asking if the Aune T1's RCAs have a muting relay where it would be muted if HPs are being used. Which would be no.

Well, yes, I was asking this, but I was also seeing whether anyone would suggest against my plans, which is to run powered speakers via the tube buffering. It is a shame, though, that I'll have to pull out the from the speakers to disengage them when using headphones. I might have to look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back