Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #4,951 of 8,309
  A truly 'flat' frequency curve is not usually very enjoyable to listen to. The songs we listen to are mastered on speakers that have a frequency 'balance' more so than a flatness. That's what I've come to learn anyway. 

Touché.

Thanks for the conversation, AngryGoldfish. Looks like my purchase will be pushed out for a few months, as a (smart)phone just died in my family. It might be a good thing, giving me some time to explore the alternatives. This site is a gold mine of information.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #4,952 of 8,309
  Touché.

Thanks for the conversation, AngryGoldfish. Looks like my purchase will be pushed out for a few months, as a (smart)phone just died in my family. It might be a good thing, giving me some time to explore the alternatives. This site is a gold mine of information.

There are a ****-ton of choices to peruse through. I quite like the Audioengine D3 for portable use and for my consoles, the T1 and Schiit Modi/Magni combo for my desktop, and the Astro MixAmp for gaming and movies upstairs. That would set me back around €700. I think it would be a versatile way to get into the world of hi-fi. I may end up just using the D3 and seeing no difference between it and the others, or I may want to invest more, I dunno. We shall see. :)

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #4,953 of 8,309
Oh boy, I have been rolling some Amperex tubes, but couldn't resist trying out a Siemens E88CC a couple of days ago... Haven't been able to pull it out just yet... it has a very enchanting sound. It does a wonderful job of detailed, extended airy highs without coming across as harsh or bright. (I'm listening on "laid back" HD 650s, but I dare say it would also be enjoyable on Grados/AKGs...)

The soundstaging is also very good, decent separation and representation of mids as well. (I personally think the Amperex tubes I was listening to had a wider soundstage). Where the Siemens tube really shines are the detailed highs... rich, refined clarity for a beautiful sound. 

I actually noticed the EH6922 that came with the Aune seemed to be trying to push the high end, but compared to the Siemens tube, they felt forced and far less airy/refined to me. The extended range in vocals/guitar/percussion also does a great job giving some added depth/holographic sound to music I've enjoyed for years... 

I picked up the tubes off ebay NOS for around $45 each... they can go for a little more as well. (I would love to hear some Telefunken tubes to compare them as well... I do have some RTC/Mullard E188CC's coming next week, so I'll compare and see how they sound).

One tube has an etched date code of A0 1 4F, and the other just has numbers stamped between the pins. I have also seen date codes stamped on the getter supports.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #4,955 of 8,309
  Would this amp lead to a noticeable improvement in quality with my beyerdynamic dt 990 premium 32 Ohm version headphones? I have never owned an amp or dac before. Wondering if this one is worth taking the plunge for.

I NEVER listened to DT 990 but I owned HD 600. I was told that DT 990 is brighter than HD 600. And Aune T1 amp really bright for my HD 600 and I need to change the tube to balanced the sound. So, in your case I think that Aune T1 will make your headphone very bright. This is just my assumption. :D

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #4,957 of 8,309
  diaBoliQu3
what music do you listen to with the hd600? and how do you like it with the aune?

All sort... Rock, vocal, reggae, metal, RnB hip hop etc. But IMO, Aune T1 in my case sound better with vocal, classic, opera. I don't think will change DAC. Now waiting my Crack, transit at my friend's house. But, with Aune and HD600, I don't listen to EDM and similar genre. For that, I use my FiiO X3 as DAC/ amp and Amperior.

How you tag me buddy?

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #4,958 of 8,309
  All sort... Rock, vocal, reggae, metal, RnB hip hop etc. But IMO, Aune T1 in my case sound better with vocal, classic, opera. I don't think will change DAC. Now waiting my Crack, transit at my friend's house. But, with Aune and HD600, I don't listen to EDM and similar genre. For that, I use my FiiO X3 as DAC/ amp and Amperior.

How you tag me buddy?

i do want the hd600 for metal, how do you think they deal with this genre?

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #4,961 of 8,309
  i do want the hd600 for metal, how do you think they deal with this genre?

IMO HD 600 is more like a vocal, classical, and opera oriented. It''s good for rock, metal and pop but not as great as the genre I mentioned earlier

I do like them for metal but you need to match it with warm amp and warm tube. With changing 6DJ8 alone, the only problem left is ear piercing hi hat cymbals sound. Pair with a warm amp and the piercing bright issue go away.

http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/hi_hat#

I  some of metal and similar band I often listen too;
- Avenged Sevenfold
- Diablo Swing Orchestra
- SOAD
- Pantera
- Chimaira
- Helloween
- Dream Theater
- Nightwish
- Cannibal Corpse

For this kind of genre, I will say they much better in symphonic or opera metal than heavy, progressive, black, new metal etc. And I wish there's more energy from the drum and bass. The impact, quality is there but I need more power, amount... The guitar, and the vocal however superb. Superb separation and imaging, no metallic guitar sound, energetic, and wide soundstage without being too laid back, no muddy bass.

And don't forget to set the amp to 16db or else the sound will be very bad in 10db. The reason I pick HD 600 is because I'm a universal listener. If you just listened to metal, pop, and little time on vocal, classic, try Philips X1. Which is too bassy for vocal and classical IMO but very fun for pop, RnB, rock, and metal. It's a good kind of bassy BTW, not that plasticky, muddy bass.

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #4,963 of 8,309
  IMO HD 600 is more like a vocal, classical, and opera oriented. It''s good for rock, metal and pop but not as great as the genre I mentioned earlier

I do like them for metal but you need to match it with warm amp and warm tube. With changing 6DJ8 alone, the only problem left is ear piercing hi hat cymbals sound. Pair with a warm amp and the piercing bright issue go away.

http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/hi_hat#

I  some of metal and similar band I often listen too;
- Avenged Sevenfold
- Diablo Swing Orchestra
- SOAD
- Pantera
- Chimaira
- Helloween
- Dream Theater
- Nightwish
- Cannibal Corpse

For this kind of genre, I will say they much better in symphonic or opera metal than heavy, progressive, black, new metal etc. And I wish there's more energy from the drum and bass. The impact, quality is there but I need more power, amount... The guitar, and the vocal however superb. Superb separation and imaging, no metallic guitar sound, energetic, and wide soundstage without being too laid back, no muddy bass.

And don't forget to set the amp to 16db or else the sound will be very bad in 10db. The reason I pick HD 600 is because I'm a universal listener. If you just listened to metal, pop, and little time on vocal, classic, try Philips X1. Which is too bassy for vocal and classical IMO but very fun for pop, RnB, rock, and metal. It's a good kind of bassy BTW, not that plasticky, muddy bass.

diaBoliQu3:

I see you have the Stoner Acoustics UD100 and the Aune T1. Can I ask how you think they compare as DACs? they are quite different animals, of course.

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #4,964 of 8,309

diaBoliQu3:

I see you have the Stoner Acoustics UD100 and the Aune T1. Can I ask how you think they compare as DACs? they are quite different animals, of course.

Thanks.

Hi mate.

Unfortunately I never have the chance to compare them head to head. UD100 mostly used for powering my speaker, Edifier R1900Tiii at my gaming rig. While Aune T1 attach to my laptop. Nice idea you gave me. Now need to look for 3.5mm to RCA to compare these two with Crack. I only have RCA cable with me now.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #4,965 of 8,309
Well I just joined this club and bought one who knows when it will get here, I wasn't even entirely aware it was a Tube DAC only but from people reviews and talk on here I couldn't go without hearing it for myself I guess and at the price I can always pass it on to someone on here and break almost even probably if it turns out to not be my cup of tea. I have HD 650 and HD 560 Ovation II's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back