Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #4,921 of 8,309
I'm curious as to why you went from the headphone jack instead of just directly from the RCA out on the T1. RCA out also uses the tube buffer.

From everything I've been told by long time Aune T1 owners, the tube is actually not used the same when you just run line in/out mode on the Aune T1.  You can check this by running it like that and pulling the tube, the sound barely changes, if at all.  Now do the same when running USB, you have almost no sound.  I'm sure the amp section plays a role in this and I would like to know if I was misinformed or not.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #4,922 of 8,309

From everything I've been told by long time Aune T1 owners, the tube is actually not used the same when you just run line in/out mode on the Aune T1.  You can check this by running it like that and pulling the tube, the sound barely changes, if at all.  Now do the same when running USB, you have almost no sound.  I'm sure the amp section plays a role in this and I would like to know if I was misinformed or not.

The tube is used via USB.  Line in will bypass the tube entirely and use the amp only.  Line out will bypass the internal amp but still use the tube.

See the FAQ on the first page:

Q: Does the Aune T1 DAC utilize the tube, does the T1 headphone amp section use the tube, or do they both use the tube?
A: The Aune T1 is a USB tube DAC with a solid state headphone amp. What this means is that if you want the benefits of the tube, you must use the USB Input of the T1.  The amp section of the T1 does not use the tube by itself. Technically, you could bypass the DAC of the T1 and just use the amp but this type of use is not really what the T1 is for. One thing you can do is use the T1 USB input then hook up a different amp to the RCA out of the T1. This will give you the benefits of the tube and allow you to try a different/more powerful amp (though I think the amp in the T1 is quite good).  I personally have a speaker amp hooked up this way so I can use my headphones and some bookshelf speakers at the same time from one source.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,924 of 8,309
  Hey guys. I'm using the Aune T1 with an amperex 7308 gold pin and an HE-400. Is it worth adding a Magni or Vali to the setup? If so, which one?

Thanks!

Not worth it, the sound is almost the same with the Vali and the Aune amp, almost the same.

Invest and get a better amp imo

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #4,926 of 8,309
Is the Aune T1 powerful enough to drive the Beyerdynamic DT 880 or DT 990 600Ohms? I have read that some users have used the T1 as a DAC, but used a different amp. Can the T1 by itself sufficiently drive them?

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #4,927 of 8,309
Is the Aune T1 powerful enough to drive the Beyerdynamic DT 880 or DT 990 600Ohms? I have read that some users have used the T1 as a DAC, but used a different amp. Can the T1 by itself sufficiently drive them?

Thanks.

I have used my DT880 600ohm with my t1 and I think it sounds quite fantastic. So i don't see why it can't drive it efficiently

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #4,928 of 8,309
  Hey guys and girls. I'm sure this has been brought up before, but just wanted to pass along something I tried out today that works nicely...

I wanted to use my turntable as the source for the Aune T1, having it go through the tube-buffer as opposed to just the digital amp section.

The method I used was:

TT -> RCA cable -> computer microphone input -> USB S/PDIF out to Aune T1 -> Headphones (HD 650s)

**snip**

I'm wondering how you plugged the TT straight into your computer without a phono stage. Does your TT has a built in phono stage?

could be potentiometer 

Potentiometer as in the volume pot?
Can't agree with that since the RCA line out also has the same channel imbalance.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #4,929 of 8,309
Hi guys,

I have the DT 990 Pros 250ohm and my Aune T1 will be coming in the mail soon.

What tube do you recommend I get to replace the stock tube? I guess I want something that takes the edge off of the highs, brings the mids forward and expands the sound stage.

Is something like the E88CC recommended? Or do I really need something like a Amperex 7308?

What a cool little DAC/amp.

Cheers.. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #4,930 of 8,309
  Hi guys,

I have the DT 990 Pros 250ohm and my Aune T1 will be coming in the mail soon.

What tube do you recommend I get to replace the stock tube? I guess I want something that takes the edge off of the highs, brings the mids forward and expands the sound stage.

Is something like the E88CC recommended? Or do I really need something like a Amperex 7308?

What a cool little DAC/amp.

Cheers.. 

I think Amperex OG 6DJ8 / ECC88 suitable for a bright headphone. Using this tube for my HD600. Try to pair with warm amp, still like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back