Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #4,906 of 8,309
Hey guys and girls. I'm sure this has been brought up before, but just wanted to pass along something I tried out today that works nicely...

I wanted to use my turntable as the source for the Aune T1, having it go through the tube-buffer as opposed to just the digital amp section.

The method I used was:

TT -> RCA cable -> computer microphone input -> USB S/PDIF out to Aune T1 -> Headphones (HD 650s)

I'm running Windows 7, so had to right click my speaker, go to Recording Devices, find the Microphone, then properties, and Listen tab, where I selected "Listen to device" and selected the Aune T1 under "Playback to this device". I also adjusted the input level on the Levels tab, although this is probably amplification on the computer soundcard which may degrade the quality. Haven't tried messing with the levels much.

I realize it kind of sucks going from vinyl into the soundcard's mic, which I assume is then going A to D. (This probably hampers sound quality, but I haven't honestly compared this method to going directly through the amp section of the Aune...)

Listening to the MFSL release of Weezer right now and it has decent imaging/dynamics.

Anyone have any other thoughts on using the Aune T1 with vinyl? Have a good weekend folks!

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #4,907 of 8,309
  This thread was the sole reason I just bought a T1.  Excellent purchase, I love the sound, a definite upgrade over my old uDac.

I swapped out the "upgraded stock" EH 6922 for a JJ E88CC.  I like the sound of the tube better, but I'm not sure what to listen to for a definitive difference.  Is there a specific instrument between these tubes that I can a/b test to hear a difference, like a cymbal decay or guitar harmonics?

Also, I am curious about how this unit works with a single tube.  I understand this is more of a tube-buffered DAC (and the amp portion is solid state), but how is a stereo signal pushed through a single tube, when all other tube equipment I've seen is one tube per channel?

Hey cornfruit, congrats on getting the T1.

What I've found doing music comparisons, and tube comparisons, it's a very subjective experience. My experience is that I need a good week of listening for an hour or two a day with one source, getting a good feel for how it represents my music. Then when I roll on to a new tube, or new component, I'll listen to the same material. I find there is definitely an initial difference in feeling, but it takes me a good 15 hours or so to really be able to express that difference. I've also found that NOS tubes take this time to fully "open up". This is my personal experience, and the topic of "break in" is hotly debated. I personally think there is a small amount of hardware break in, or burn in, and then some psychological connection in my brain (tuning to the nuances, if you will).

Also, as far as what to listen for... I try to listen specifically for clarity, decay, soundstage, presence, expression of bass (and tight/looseness), ability to fully represent mids, imaging... but I really think a lot can be said for the ability to build an emotional impact with the music. It can be a very organic, expressive moment (maybe some people call this synergy?) between the recording and how you feel listening to it. I think all of those elements can lead to that feeling...

Anyway, just my thoughts. Take them with a grain of salt, and enjoy your setup!!

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #4,908 of 8,309
Hi everyone, I am considering buying the Aune T1, just wondering how will they perform with the gr07BE IEM's which I currently have and with future purchase I have in mind, philips x1 or hd650 ? ( probably the x1)

How is the the sound signature of this amp/dac ?
and how are they bass wise? considering i mostly listen to EDM bass is important to me..

[size=x-small]Another question, I have a home theater [/size]receiver[size=x-small] with 5.1 speakers is it possible to use it in someway to improve the sound quality of the speakers? maybe connect it to the front speakers?  [/size]

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #4,909 of 8,309
  [size=x-small]Another question, I have a home theater [/size]receiver[size=x-small] with 5.1 speakers is it possible to use it in someway to improve the sound quality of the speakers? maybe connect it to the front speakers?  [/size]

Heya atraf - just wanted to let you know how I connected my Aune T1 to my home theatre receiver...

Basically, here is how it connected:

Computer [FLAC/cd's] with Foobar player with WASAPI -> USB cable to Aune T1 -> 1/4" headphone jack to RCA cables -> RCA input on home theatre (I just picked SA/CD as the input source)

I had to set the dip switches on the Aune T1 for 16db gain, and set the output volume on Foobar and in Windows 7 high.

This lets you hear your music through the tube-buffer on the Aune T1, and let me tell you it sounds fantastic. My home theatre is an old Sony STR-KS370, and the sound was instantly improved over the DAC that is built into the receiver. (I had it setup via S/PDIF from the computer before).

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #4,910 of 8,309
Heya atraf - just wanted to let you know how I connected my Aune T1 to my home theatre receiver...

Computer [FLAC/cd's] with Foobar player with WASAPI -> USB cable to Aune T1 -> 1/4" headphone jack to RCA cables -> RCA input on home theatre (I just picked SA/CD as the input source)

I had to set the dip switches on the Aune T1 for 16db gain, and set the output volume on Foobar and in Windows 7 high.

This lets you hear your music through the tube-buffer on the Aune T1, and let me tell you it sounds fantastic. My home theatre is an old Sony STR-KS370, and the sound was instantly improved over the DAC that is built into the receiver. (I had it setup via S/PDIF from the computer before).
I'm curious as to why you went from the headphone jack instead of just directly from the RCA out on the T1. RCA out also uses the tube buffer.

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #4,913 of 8,309

I'm curious as to why you went from the headphone jack instead of just directly from the RCA out on the T1. RCA out also uses the tube buffer.

sounds good though i agree with MrEleventy..
I was wondering if there is a way to use this dac after the receiver output for usage of the front speakers in surround mode like maybe connect it this way: pc >hdmi> reciever > speakercables to rca input> dac > rca to speakers cables > front speakers or smt .. 

anyway again, few questions:
1) how will this perform with an 40 ohm IEM's ?  (gr07be) anyone have an idea? 
2) What is the sound signature of this amp with the standard tube?
3) Anyone have tried it with Philips x1 ? 

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #4,914 of 8,309
Yeah for sure MrEleventy, the RCA output is probably the best option going to a receiver with a decent amp.

When I was swapping between inputs on my receiver to compare DACs, I found it easiest to match volumes by using the Aune amp. (The Sony had to be turned up quite a lot to get the RCA input from the Aune to a decent level, then swapping to the S/PDIF input on the Sony to hear its DAC, it would be super loud)

Atraf - in regards to the standard tube, I think for an extra $30 (or less), your experience could be improved quite a bit. (There are a lot of different flavours of tubes, and a lot of very good write-ups in this thread, depending on what you're looking for.) 

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #4,915 of 8,309
for anyone on the budget and want the very musical (true audio tube) -airy tube with good bass and very fine soundstage (very similar to 5BK7A)..can be found below $10 on ebay (NOS/black plates)
P.S. this one should last longer then 5BK7A which is rated only 4.7v

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #4,920 of 8,309
  Cool. I understand that I don't need the amp for volume purposes, but I've read a bunch of complaints about the Aune's amp.

There is nothing wrong with the amp on Aune ..matter of a fact is Aune can drive HD650s no sweat ,your headphones  are not design for high impedance amp (I killed mine not that long ago ) if you had another set of cans I wouldn't even mention it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back