Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #4,892 of 8,309
Check your gain settings

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #4,893 of 8,309
I have something strange too, but maybe its normal.
I tested the Aune with Shure SE846 they have only 9ohm...not the perfect match I know, but:
when playing music but the aune volume knob is on minimum, i can hear a bit of the music on one channel only. its not silent, and its no noise either. its the music. the moment i go up in the volume both channels are the same. 
Do you hear music playing when on zero volume?

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #4,894 of 8,309
I just found voskhod 6n23p at local store. It have rocket logo on it and 6h23n marks but it also have pentagolan logo, like this one: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tubes&m=231789&VT=T This is good one? At this moment I'm using EH6922 tube with my grados and I'm looking for something sounding warmer. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #4,895 of 8,309
  I have something strange too, but maybe its normal.
I tested the Aune with Shure SE846 they have only 9ohm...not the perfect match I know, but:
when playing music but the aune volume knob is on minimum, i can hear a bit of the music on one channel only. its not silent, and its no noise either. its the music. the moment i go up in the volume both channels are the same. 
Do you hear music playing when on zero volume?

Happens with many amps, do not worry

It's normal

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #4,898 of 8,309
Just wanted to put this mini-review out there... My Aune came with the EH 6922, which I recently swapped to a Philips JAN 6922 (green). 

The Philips was NOS (tested) bought locally cheap ($12) and I find the sound much more enjoyable than the EH. It sounds much more musically engaging (organic) as I found that the EH had decent soundstage/separation, but the sound was a bit clinical for me. The Philips does a great job with soundstage and also a superb job creating a 3 dimensional layering of guitar, vocals, drums, etc. The highs are not as extended as the EH, but that is a very minor trade off for myself.

I listen to indie rock, folk, chilled out vocal stuff. My sources are all FLAC, mostly redbook with a bit of hi-res. Here are some of the albums I thought sounded great with the Philips...

Alt-J - An Awesome Wave (24/96) - very nicely organic, driven sound
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha - beautiful, layered sound... "Darkmatter" guitar/drum intro is superb
Beach House - Teen Dream - musically engaging, pleasant
Beck - Sea Change (24k MFSL CD) - amazing recording, guitar is breathtakingly real
Jenn Grant - Honeymoon Punch - again beautifully layered, 3d
The Weepies - Say I Am You - beautiful guitar/vocal layering

Links if you're interested in finding the tube online...
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types/JAN-Philips-6922-Low-Noise
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-One-Pair-PHILIPS-JAN-6922-E88CC-Audio-Tubes-Made-in-USA-/141217572878?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20e139280e
(or search ebay for Philips JAN 6922)

Currently, I've rolled over to some Amperex 7308's... I'll put together another post after doing some more listening!

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #4,899 of 8,309
  Just wanted to put this mini-review out there... My Aune came with the EH 6922, which I recently swapped to a Philips JAN 6922 (green). 

The Philips was NOS (tested) bought locally cheap ($12) and I find the sound much more enjoyable than the EH. It sounds much more musically engaging (organic) as I found that the EH had decent soundstage/separation, but the sound was a bit clinical for me. The Philips does a great job with soundstage and also a superb job creating a 3 dimensional layering of guitar, vocals, drums, etc. The highs are not as extended as the EH, but that is a very minor trade off for myself.

I listen to indie rock, folk, chilled out vocal stuff. My sources are all FLAC, mostly redbook with a bit of hi-res. Here are some of the albums I thought sounded great with the Philips...

Alt-J - An Awesome Wave (24/96) - very nicely organic, driven sound
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha - beautiful, layered sound... "Darkmatter" guitar/drum intro is superb
Beach House - Teen Dream - musically engaging, pleasant
Beck - Sea Change (24k MFSL CD) - amazing recording, guitar is breathtakingly real
Jenn Grant - Honeymoon Punch - again beautifully layered, 3d
The Weepies - Say I Am You - beautiful guitar/vocal layering

Links if you're interested in finding the tube online...
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types/JAN-Philips-6922-Low-Noise
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-One-Pair-PHILIPS-JAN-6922-E88CC-Audio-Tubes-Made-in-USA-/141217572878?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20e139280e
(or search ebay for Philips JAN 6922)

Currently, I've rolled over to some Amperex 7308's... I'll put together another post after doing some more listening!

EH 6922 is a great tube but need to be pair with neutral or warm amp. Aune T1 amp too bright even for a bright lover like me. Bright issue solved after I change to Amperex OG. :D

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #4,902 of 8,309
  Just changed the last caps in my T1. I replaced the really bad Lelon main power caps with Panasonic FR 3300µF 25V caps. They also were bigger than the old ones. I didn't think that I could fit them all inside the case but I managed to do it. Everything is in place and the T1 still works.

Soundwise they don't make any change at all. But Lelon is famous for making very bad quality caps. No harm in changing them.

how did you knew what caps to replace?
i want to upgrade mine too but i have 0 experience with electronics

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #4,903 of 8,309
  how did you knew what caps to replace?
i want to upgrade mine too but i have 0 experience with electronics

CoiL did help me with identifying the caps. Changing the caps wasn't that difficult because I know how to solder. If you don't have any expirience soldering then take an old piece of hardware and try.
If you want to go through with it shoot me a PN and I can give you more information.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #4,904 of 8,309
This thread was the sole reason I just bought a T1.  Excellent purchase, I love the sound, a definite upgrade over my old uDac.

I swapped out the "upgraded stock" EH 6922 for a JJ E88CC.  I like the sound of the tube better, but I'm not sure what to listen to for a definitive difference.  Is there a specific instrument between these tubes that I can a/b test to hear a difference, like a cymbal decay or guitar harmonics?

Also, I am curious about how this unit works with a single tube.  I understand this is more of a tube-buffered DAC (and the amp portion is solid state), but how is a stereo signal pushed through a single tube, when all other tube equipment I've seen is one tube per channel?

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #4,905 of 8,309
Also, I am curious about how this unit works with a single tube.  I understand this is more of a tube-buffered DAC (and the amp portion is solid state), but how is a stereo signal pushed through a single tube, when all other tube equipment I've seen is one tube per channel?

One tube has two triodes inside. One triode per channel. This is enough for a tube buffer. For a full fledged amplifier you need more because you have a more complicated circuit like cathode followers or paraphase amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back