Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 13, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #4,846 of 8,309
Mar 14, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #4,847 of 8,309
Guys I might be selling my Aune T1 due to financial problems and I did a mod on my ZXR that creates sound almost as good.

The Aune T1 has got $40 worth of caps in it and a $60 tube (plus a back up RCA made Amperex), but I'd sell it for $260.  If anyone is really interested let me know.  Check out the pictures for this thread and you can see most of my pictures, but here are a few:

I'm still waiting on four SILMIC II caps to get here, so I'd probably wait to get that first and take out those two Cerafines.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #4,850 of 8,309
  I just hooked up my new Shure SE846 to the Aune T1 with the stock 6922EH Electro Harmonix tube, and although aunes output impedance is a high 5 ohm and the iem has only 9 ohm impedance, I cant complain. Loving it!

Now I'm looking to upgrade the tubes....caps some other time when I actually have more time...

Do you have a review about these valvo tubes? They look nice!

Thx

Isn't that quite a high impedance output for a headphone amp?

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #4,851 of 8,309
I'm looking for the next tube to roll. I'm surprised nobody on here, or really any other forum, has tried out the new production Telefunken ECC88-TK Black Diamond series tubes. Has anyone tried these in the Aune T1 yet? Surely they aren't going to measure up to the uber-desirable NOS Telefunken tubes, but each tube is cryo treated and burned-in before packaging and the price isn't too bad. I think they're made by a partnership with JJ Tubes.

http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/products/tubes/black-diamond-tubes/e88cc-tk.php

Anyone know about these tubes?

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #4,852 of 8,309
guys, how do you look up for the aune?, should i turn it off or let it go for 24\7?
my 6 month aune started to go insane with distortion and left channel had 50% lower volume.

also any idea where can i find these tubes? Ultron SQ PCC189/7ES8, Amperex 6DJ8, Siemens PCC88/7DJ8, Siemens PCC189.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #4,853 of 8,309

I think it will improve the sound. The DAC in the Aune is just superb. The DACs on the mainboards I had were always a little shallow and they also had a lot of noise from the EMI inside the case. Getting an external DAC is always better in my opinion. But be careful with the gain setting and low impedance headphones. It will blow your headphone and your head too. 
wink.gif

I'm also a big sucker for tubes and tube rolling is just so much fun. So take my opinion with a grain of salt. 

I mostly used my speakers before but since getting the Aune I really don't feel the desire to use them. I did not connect them to the Aune. Maybe I'll give it a try. But my speakers are so old and beaten up I don't think it will make a huge difference.

Hi - 

I am finding this to be the case with me.  Instead of listening to the Martin Logan Aerius speakers, I am finding myself more and more using the Grado RS1's with the Aune.  The tube is the Amperex 6922 PQ While Label.  Incredibly warm sound - enough in fact to make me wonder just how long I'm gonna keep the MLs.  We'll see.  Suspect that I could sell them and really get a really special amp for the Aune...

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #4,854 of 8,309

Hi - 

I am finding this to be the case with me.  Instead of listening to the Martin Logan Aerius speakers, I am finding myself more and more using the Grado RS1's with the Aune.  The tube is the Amperex 6922 PQ While Label.  Incredibly warm sound - enough in fact to make me wonder just how long I'm gonna keep the MLs.  We'll see.  Suspect that I could sell them and really get a really special amp for the Aune...

I only have old Logitech speakers that doesn't really work anymore. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. You have to jiggle the wires around...I thought why not invest in some good headphone equipment than rather buy new speakers.

Since I bought the new hardware I'm listening to music constantly. This wasn't the case before. I also noticed how bad the quality of my sound library was. More 128kbps MP3s than I thought, haha. 

I really love hearing every detail of the music and with headphones this is possible without disturbing my neighbours.

Speaking of tubes: I think I'm gonna use the Valvo E288CC for now. After using it for one day it really opened up and sounds amazing. If it dies I'll maybe buy another one or I will go back to my Valvo E188CC I now have lying around.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4,855 of 8,309
I'm probably going to pull the trigger on these once I've finished moving to Florida in a couple weeks.

For those who've owned these a while, how has the quality and performance been for you overall?

I would like to get this but am concerned about some of the reviews elsewhere that mention defects and poor quality control.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #4,856 of 8,309
While the size of this thread can be a bit daunting, you should look back through it.

Overall, I think you'll find that most folks are very pleased with the T1 and consider it a worthy unit for tube rolling. For many of us trading up from less capable sources, the T1 has been a bit of a revelation about how much better a good source can sound compared to portable sources like iPods, etc.

There have been some complaints about the quality of some components like the capacitors and some users have gone to great lengths to replace them. That's a bit subtle for my tastes. I have no complaints about workmanship, but I have not opened mine.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #4,857 of 8,309
  While the size of this thread can be a bit daunting, you should look back through it.

Overall, I think you'll find that most folks are very pleased with the T1 and consider it a worthy unit for tube rolling. For many of us trading up from less capable sources, the T1 has been a bit of a revelation about how much better a good source can sound compared to portable sources like iPods, etc.

There have been some complaints about the quality of some components like the capacitors and some users have gone to great lengths to replace them. That's a bit subtle for my tastes. I have no complaints about workmanship, but I have not opened mine.

I think I've probably read about 40 pages or so, here or there.  It's tough to get that much time since I'm working and in the midst of moving to another state.

CoiL, a T1 owner on here, was nice enough to PM with me back and forth the last couple hours with some very helpful info.  

It's tough to decide as the Schiit stack is out there for a similar price, is made in USA, and is supposedly excellent quality.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #4,858 of 8,309

I think I've probably read about 40 pages or so, here or there.  It's tough to get that much time since I'm working and in the midst of moving to another state.

CoiL, a T1 owner on here, was nice enough to PM with me back and forth the last couple hours with some very helpful info.  

It's tough to decide as the Schiit stack is out there for a similar price, is made in USA, and is supposedly excellent quality.

If you buy the Schitt stack you'll have a great setup, but that's it. If you buy the Aune T1, you can fiddle forever and search the globe for some obscure magic tube. In my view, that's the difference. I'm sure I would be very happy listening to either. To fiddle or not to fiddle, that's the question.

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #4,859 of 8,309

Or maybe get the best of both worlds?

I have an Aune T1 and a Schiit Vali

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #4,860 of 8,309
So I took the plunge. I bought the Aune T1 to go with my K450s while I decide on whether to purchase the HD650s or the He-400s. The perk of living in China is I got the upgraded version for $130 shipped. Awesome.

My question is simple, and a completely newbie question I know, but as the T1 is an amp and a DAC, will I be able to use it solely as a DAC if I decide to upgrade amps in the future?

I've heard people rave about the DAC in it, comparing it favorably with the Modi and almost any other DAC in the sub $250 range, and I know the amp is pretty stellar, but I've been eyeing a pair of HD650s together with a Bottlehead Crack at some point in the future. So if I buy the Crack to go with the He-400s/HD-650s, will I be able to bypass the amp on the T1 and use it just as a DAC.

Thanks. This is my first post on a new board in a long time, thought I was done picking up hobbies that will cost me an arm and a leg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back