Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #4,816 of 8,309
  Sorry if this ground has been covered already, but I think the ability to run a usb DAC like the T1 from my phone is very cool! A brand new phone pushing a 50 year-old vacuum tube!

I have an LG G2 phone running android 4.2.2. I just hooked it up my T1, and it simply worked! I had read an earlier post that said the usb DACs worked on the G2 if you loaded a particular ROM, but apparently that is not needed. I had no stomach for diddling with my phone just to get the DAC working (rooting or loading a ROM). The only thing you need is the right kind of usb cable (usb micro male to USB B as usual). My understanding is that this should hold for any phone or tablet with the same or later version of android.

I'm running Poweramp now (one of the apps that many think sounds much better than the default music app on the G2). I also have run Neutron but it seems to have some problems with skipping both using the normal phone analog output and the T1 through the usb port.

I'm not sure exactly how android transfers data to the T1, I know there are some pitfalls there. I had to futz with my Ubuntu system a bit to get some of the intervening layers out of the way. But it sounds fine so far.

The G2 has excellent battery capacity, so I don't hesitate to use it for playing music or any other non-phone uses. I've never run out of juice by the end of the day, so I suspect I won't have a problem with not being able to charge and play music at the same time. Not sure if that will hold with lots of music through the usb DAC, i'll post an update when I get some experience with it.  Since the T1 is externally powered, I don't anticipate a problem. Right now the battery is at 48% and the estimated time remaining is over 19.5 hrs with music playing.

+1
same phone here. I changed to Carbon ROM since its the only one that has USB out AFAIK, this was true for the FiiO E18
When I got the Aune, it worked also very good :) Good combination

Hi,

How much of a "tubey" sound does the Aune actually have? I've got a pair of DT880's (250 Ohm) hooked up to an O2/ODAC Combo but feeling recently that it's a little too clinical and cold. Thinking of getting a tube amp to warm up the sound, will the Aune do this for me? Or is there a better option around $200-$300?

Cheers,
F.

880 pro or premium?

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #4,817 of 8,309
Hi guys,

Trying to decide between this and a Hifiman EF2-A as a little desktop dac/amp set up for my HE-400s.  Tube DAC +Amp vs Tube Amp + DAC.  Both are about in the range I want to spend.

I can see a few in this thread have or had the 400s and was wondering what impressions you had on how the T1 synergizes with the 400s.  And also what particular tubes work well.

Also, would you say in your experience that the T1 is a quality product and reliable?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #4,821 of 8,309
Awesome, you mean you're only using the T1 as a DAC and the 02 as the amp? Whereby you can alternate tubing with the T1 (02 off), or straight amping with the 02?

If so, excuse the noob question, how are they connected?
(I currently have my T1 usb'd to my Mac mini)

I'm thinking I can just get away with the 02 (no ODAC, cheaper), since both units, the T1 and the 02, will always be in the same spot.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #4,822 of 8,309
Awesome, you mean you're only using the T1 as a DAC and the 02 as the amp? Whereby you can alternate tubing with the T1 (02 off), and straight amping with the 02?

If so, excuse the noob question, how are they connected?
(I currently have my T1 usb'd to my Mac mini)

I'm thinking I can just get away with the 02 (no ODAC, cheaper), since both units, the T1 and the 02, will always be in the same spot.
Yeah, that was my primary setup at one point. It's still my primary DAC to this day (It'll be a 1 year in on the 14th.). It's feeding my Darkvoice 336 amp. I had it hooked up with a 3.5mm to RCA that I made but you can easily pick one up from just about anywhere. T1 using RCA out into O2 source in.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #4,823 of 8,309
Anyone care to comment on their favourite tube with the Aune T1?  So far I've tried the stock 6922EH which I quite enjoy. Also, a Philips JAN green labelled 6922, and a Sovtek 6922 (which I read the EH replaced... although I've think so far the EH sounds superior). I haven't had enough time with the Philips or Sovtek to form impressions yet... the quick 30 minute listen I've given the Philips JAN, I'd say it is decent for sure.

Patiently waiting on ebay shipments of:
- 1970 NOS A-Frame Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 ECC88
- NOS GE "Smoked" 6DJ8 ECC88
- Philips Miniwatt Holland White label SQ gold pin 7308 E188CC
- Amperex Holland White label PQ gold pin 7308 E188CC

Anyway, I'm sure all of the tubes will sound great... I really do love the sound from the Aune, compared to non-tube amps I've owned previously.

I have read a few tube reviews/impressions on here and wanted to ask for comments about opinions on tube 'break in' or opening up of sound. Personally, my impression of the 6922EH after 20 hours of listening was certainly different than my original impressions of the tube. I am open to comments/criticism of break in, just wanted to know what everyone found themselves. From an electrical/circuit standpoint, I agree that tube quality will probably only diminish over time... but it did seem that the sound quality improved after 20 hours or so of listening time for myself. Just my opinion... maybe it's a matter of ears/brain adjusting to the nuances.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #4,826 of 8,309
Ahh yeah, spacequeen... heard the Mullard's can sound very sweet. I like listening to a lot of vocals/ chilled stuff and just love the sound of acoustic guitar with HD650's. (I also found the volume is fine with the dips set at 0db).

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #4,827 of 8,309
Update on Sovtek 6H30Pi
Initially it shows slight improvement over the stock 6922EH. I am not very impressed.
After 2 weeks of about 30 hours of listening, I start swapping back and forth between the 2 tubes again. This time, the difference is very significant.

- The new tube has much more micro detail overall.
- Upper treble has less glare (Q701)
- Bottom end not much difference

So far, do not notice any power or heat related issue.
Also, seemed like the tube is more efficient. I have to dial back the volume from 1 o'clock to 11.

6922EH is a very good sounding tube. 6H30Pi to me is definitely superior. And it cost me $25.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #4,828 of 8,309
  Ahh yeah, spacequeen... heard the Mullard's can sound very sweet. I like listening to a lot of vocals/ chilled stuff and just love the sound of acoustic guitar with HD650's. (I also found the volume is fine with the dips set at 0db).

have you try 650s  with 10DB or 16DB setting ..I should be getting a pair of HD650s tomorrow (my HE400 took a "vacation" ) 
P.S. Mullards are my favorite tubes  

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #4,829 of 8,309
  have you try 650s  with 10DB or 16DB setting ..I should be getting a pair of HD650s tomorrow (my HE400 took a "vacation" ) 
P.S. Mullards are my favorite tubes  

I'll have to try setting the dips for 10db or 16db... I remember reading some people mentioned it would sound best with the dips set low, as long as the volume was good. Listening now at 10db and it sounds great still.

Also, thanks for the review on the Sovtek RTTO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back