Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #4,802 of 8,309
USB cables can be up to 15-20ft without a booster I believe, so yes 5m should be fine.

The USB specification limits the length of a cable between USB 2.0 devices to 5 meters (or about 16 feet) and for USB 1.0 the limit is 3 meters (which is about 10 feet.) This means you can't just connect a bunch of extension cables together and run them 30 feet to another room.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #4,803 of 8,309
I did a little mod for my T1. It's really easy and it looks a lot better now. Instead of changing the LED I took a little bit of plastic and cut it so that it fits inside the circular spot from the tube socket. I took a red permanent marker and painted it red. Changing the LED is really difficult because it sits deep inside the tube socket.

Here is the result:

The pictures really don't to it justice. It looks a lot better in person. Definitely more red.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #4,804 of 8,309
Lol, I did the same without seeing your post first. If you use a good hole punch, the punchout size is the exact fit for a pseudo lens cover. 
Try high grade thick plastic that won't melt under heat (mine's just from an orange bug spray lid)

BTW, I did take it apart and try to get at the LED from the other end, it's more effort than it's cosmetic worth IMHO.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #4,805 of 8,309
  Lol, I did the same without seeing your post first. If you use a good hole punch, the punchout size is the exact fit for a pseudo lens cover. 
Try high grade thick plastic that won't melt under heat (mine's just from an orange bug spray lid)

I did use a plastic piece that is 1mm thick. I used my Aune for several hours and the piece of plastic is still in the same shape as before. 
I just used some scissors to shape the piece of plastic. Somehow I managed to make a perfect fit. It stays in there if I want it or not.

I have to open my Aune soon because I ordered some caps. Should be here in the next week. I'm excited. :)

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #4,806 of 8,309
Actually, after the first sentence, my post was directed at others who might want to try this. You did great!

The best effect would be to color the LED or replace it with a dark orange LED for that "fireflies" look, as this little lens cover hack still leaves a warm white light coming through the white plastic pin holder.

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #4,808 of 8,309

Hello all

I found a gem that is not listed here.  ADZAM E 288 CC  The best of all, period.   It is a bigger tube.  Pictures soon.

Based on your experience and the fact that other people use tubes with a heater current up to 800mA without any damages on the Aune T1 I bought myself a Valvo E288CC for a very reasonable price of €35. They go for much higher prices on eBay. I'm excited. Should be here in the next few days. I'll add it to my review post.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #4,809 of 8,309
Based on your experience and the fact that other people use tubes with a heater current up to 800mA without any damages on the Aune T1 I bought myself a Valvo E288CC for a very reasonable price of €35. They go for much higher prices on eBay. I'm excited. Should be here in the next few days. I'll add it to my review post.

Nice!!! Good luck!!! :):):)

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #4,810 of 8,309
  I've just gotten this DAC+Amp two days ago, and unlike the rest of the internets I've gotten a defective unit. I actually bought it from another forummer in a local forum.

The DAC unit has a channel imbalance and the left channel louder than the right channel. Switching modes between DAC+Amp, Amp alone, and DAC alone, I found out that the DAC part of it is the defective one.

A simple re-balancing from the sound control center fixed it up.

I am still discussing with the previous owner about it, and he is hinting that he had only used the amp part fed through an external CD player, that kinda explains how he does not notice the DAC part has a channel imbalance.

For the fun part, the sound

Oh my god I am melting in my chair listening to it. It is so good. I have never used a proper amp before, and I've been only using a FiiO E11 for the past few months when I started. This tubeamp blew them right out of the water. The highs are so sparkly and has some sort of organic feel to it. The vocals are massively emotional, I can feel her every breath and every time her lips move. I am pairing it with a Goldring DR150 with a Vero 150 cable. Everything just 'fits'. The relationship is between the components is like a love story. Everything is a lot more beautiful.

If you have the money, go out, and buy it (unless you shop online), and plug it in. Melt in your chair, you deserve to have Norah Jones sing for you after a hard day at work/school.

But don't feed it with low quality songs though. They're pretty forgivable, but don't push it too much.

I've also found that my unit has channel imbalance (although apparently not nearly as noticeable as yours given the difference in your numbers!).

I also noticed that I get random crackling regardless of whether I have music playing.  Wiggling the tube tends to change for better or worse but it goes away after a bit.  I tried to troubleshoot by getting a new tube off eBay and also getting a socket protector.  It's definitely improved but it's not 100%.  Any thoughts?

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #4,811 of 8,309
Sorry if this ground has been covered already, but I think the ability to run a usb DAC like the T1 from my phone is very cool! A brand new phone pushing a 50 year-old vacuum tube!

I have an LG G2 phone running android 4.2.2. I just hooked it up my T1, and it simply worked! I had read an earlier post that said the usb DACs worked on the G2 if you loaded a particular ROM, but apparently that is not needed. I had no stomach for diddling with my phone just to get the DAC working (rooting or loading a ROM). The only thing you need is the right kind of usb cable (usb micro male to USB B as usual). My understanding is that this should hold for any phone or tablet with the same or later version of android.

I'm running Poweramp now (one of the apps that many think sounds much better than the default music app on the G2). I also have run Neutron but it seems to have some problems with skipping both using the normal phone analog output and the T1 through the usb port.

I'm not sure exactly how android transfers data to the T1, I know there are some pitfalls there. I had to futz with my Ubuntu system a bit to get some of the intervening layers out of the way. But it sounds fine so far.

The G2 has excellent battery capacity, so I don't hesitate to use it for playing music or any other non-phone uses. I've never run out of juice by the end of the day, so I suspect I won't have a problem with not being able to charge and play music at the same time. Not sure if that will hold with lots of music through the usb DAC, i'll post an update when I get some experience with it.  Since the T1 is externally powered, I don't anticipate a problem. Right now the battery is at 48% and the estimated time remaining is over 19.5 hrs with music playing.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #4,812 of 8,309

I've also found that my unit has channel imbalance (although apparently not nearly as noticeable as yours given the difference in your numbers!).

I also noticed that I get random crackling regardless of whether I have music playing.  Wiggling the tube tends to change for better or worse but it goes away after a bit.  I tried to troubleshoot by getting a new tube off eBay and also getting a socket protector.  It's definitely improved but it's not 100%.  Any thoughts?

I thought I had channel imbalance too, that was until I checked the gain settings on the bottom of the unit.  The left was set louder than the right.. 

Have yall checked that?

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #4,813 of 8,309
Hi,

How much of a "tubey" sound does the Aune actually have? I've got a pair of DT880's (250 Ohm) hooked up to an O2/ODAC Combo but feeling recently that it's a little too clinical and cold. Thinking of getting a tube amp to warm up the sound, will the Aune do this for me? Or is there a better option around $200-$300?

Cheers,
F.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #4,814 of 8,309
  Hi,

How much of a "tubey" sound does the Aune actually have? I've got a pair of DT880's (250 Ohm) hooked up to an O2/ODAC Combo but feeling recently that it's a little too clinical and cold. Thinking of getting a tube amp to warm up the sound, will the Aune do this for me? Or is there a better option around $200-$300?

Cheers,
F.

Sell off your DT880 and HD600/650 will do the trick for you if you want a warmer sound. Investing money on a headphone you fundamentally don't like won't pay off in the end, you can trust me on that one.  From my experience, good amplification/source only makes a headphone better at what it's already good at, but it won't changes its nature.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #4,815 of 8,309
  Hi,

Cheers,
F.

Wait until you receive your T1 ..I have same cans and love them with  Aune ,this are my reference cans when analyzing  tubes and going in to micro-detail   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back