Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #4,726 of 8,309
I just received a Voshkod 6n23p-eb and an Amperex OG 6DJ8/ECC88 (rightdelta7k4) and am really enjoying the different signatures with each tube. I think so far, the Voshkod is my favorite. It's not a rocket logo, but the bass just has so much PUNCH and impact! Also, to rank what I'm hearing of the soundstage between the stock 6922EH, Amperex OG, and Voshkod:

• Stock 6922EH
  • Voshkod 6n23p-eb
  • Amperex OG 6DJ8/ECC88

The rest of my chain consists of a iFi iCan and a AD900x. I had high hopes for the Amperex, but ultimately felt disappointed compared to the Voshkod, which is opposite of what I expected between the two. 

BTW, if someone tube-proficient could take a quick look at the listing I bought from for the Amperex and let me know what kind of quality my tubes actually are, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm completely new to tube rolling and found the identification of Amperex tubes a little dizzying...

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #4,727 of 8,309
I just received a Voshkod 6n23p-eb and an Amperex OG 6DJ8/ECC88 (rightdelta7k4) and am really enjoying the different signatures with each tube. I think so far, the Voshkod is my favorite. It's not a rocket logo, but the bass just has so much PUNCH and impact!

Someone more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong here.
I believe all Voskhod have the rocket logo as that was the company/plant logo.
Also I'm not sure but I think Voskhod never made a -EB/V variant of the 6N23P. I wish they had because I've found the Reflektor 6N23P-EV to be inferior compared to the Voskhod 6N23P.

About the Amperex tubes, I've forgotten what era the ring getters were part of. What is the etched code near the bottom edge of the tube?
I have several Amperex tubes and the Orange Globes are quite good for the money.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #4,728 of 8,309
Feb 21, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #4,729 of 8,309
Have an issue with my T1, I turn it on and it crackles bad. Not sure what is causing, sometimes it doesn't do it but most times when I turn it on it does it. Sometimes unplugging and replugging fixes it.

Bad tube?

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,731 of 8,309
Someone more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong here.
I believe all Voskhod have the rocket logo as that was the company/plant logo.
Also I'm not sure but I think Voskhod never made a -EB/V variant of the 6N23P. I wish they had because I've found the Reflektor 6N23P-EV to be inferior compared to the Voskhod 6N23P.

About the Amperex tubes, I've forgotten what era the ring getters were part of. What is the etched code near the bottom edge of the tube?
I have several Amperex tubes and the Orange Globes are quite good for the money.

Ah oops. I confused myself going back and forth on forum posts about the 6n23p then. Still interested in ordering a Voskhod 6N23P as I've read good things, especially compared to the Reflektor 6N23P-EB.

The code near the bottom of my Amperexes is delta(?)7k4. I can't make out the code on the other one.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #4,732 of 8,309
you can't really on single description ,rating of particular tube ,I have few "Reflectors" and a pair of "Rockets" ,some are better then others ..it all depends from year the tube was made and from Getter (there is at list three different Getters when mentioning both tubes )matter of a fact is the best one for me came from this batch 
Reflector 6N27P 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251235437500?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4,733 of 8,309
Ah oops. I confused myself going back and forth on forum posts about the 6n23p then. Still interested in ordering a Voskhod 6N23P as I've read good things, especially compared to the Reflektor 6N23P-EB.

The code near the bottom of my Amperexes is delta(?)7k4. I can't make out the code on the other one.

So that's either a 4th week of November 1967 or 1977 made in Heerlen, Holland. I'm leaning toward a 1967 because of the ring getter. Anyone else?
The delta symbol is more like a right triangle correct?

Also, as I've got several Amperex tubes, I've found that I prefer certain variants/dates of manufacture to others. As you roll more you'll find the same.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #4,734 of 8,309
you can't really on single description ,rating of particular tube ,I have few "Reflectors" and a pair of "Rockets" ,some are better then others ..it all depends from year the tube was made and from Getter (there is at list three different Getters when mentioning both tubes )matter of a fact is the best one for me came from this batch 
Reflector [COLOR=333333]6N27P [/COLOR]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251235437500?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Very true this is.
As we're also finding, the capacitors used in the T1's manufacture also vary.
I have Lelon caps in mine and am curious what it'll sound like with those changed out for better quality versions.

I'm aware of small and large saucer getters. What other type is there?

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #4,735 of 8,309

So that's either a 4th week of November 1967 or 1977 made in Heerlen, Holland. I'm leaning toward a 1967 because of the ring getter. Anyone else?
The delta symbol is more like a right triangle correct?

Also, as I've got several Amperex tubes, I've found that I prefer certain variants/dates of manufacture to others. As you roll more you'll find the same.

Yeah, it's a right triangle. I did notice as I was looking for Amperex tube info that there are several batches from a lot of different dates. Which variants do you prefer and why? Also, is there any sort of "tube burn in" that might explain why I don't like the Amperex OG? Of course, it could all be my own personal preferences, but I find the bass impact very soft, female voices rather husky, and the soundstage a little congested. The Reflektor has far better bass, smooth midrange, and slightly better soundstage. 

Perhaps I should try to find specifically dated Amperex or try Mullards or Miniwatt-Dario for better bass impact and extension in my system?

Also, just how much difference does cap rolling make vs tubes?

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #4,737 of 8,309
I may be selling my RCA Amperex seen a few pages back next to my Siemens and own it's on.  I paid $45 for that tube and it says:

This is tested to be in guaranteed working condition  I tested this on a High Quality Professonal Hickok 539C  Dynamic Mutual Conductance Tester:  Well Balanced Plates,  21,000 & 20,000     Average new for this tube type: 15,000+

Halo Getter, Getter Pan & Grey Plates

It's a great balanced, transparent, but lively tube with good tight bass.  Easily worth the $45 I paid for less than a month ago to grab it.  I have it purely as a back up and if anyone wanted it I would consider selling it for what I paid + shipping (same as I did).  Let me know if it catches anyone's eye.

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #4,739 of 8,309
Is there a way to make one program play on the right channel and another play on the left channel at the same time?

I run a news feed in the background 24/7 and although it's pretty low volume so I can usually hear other things over top of it, sometimes things are a similar volume and it's difficult to make out.

I'm not sure if my brain can sort out different audio feeds in left and right, but I'd like to give it a try if possible.

Pic: http://tafb.xxx/volume.png

Anyone know a way to do it? Basically as you see in the image above, would like flash player on the left and opera on the right. Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64.

-Jamie M.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #4,740 of 8,309
Seems like the useful links are not yet linked to the first post. As it would be stupid to not have this info readily available, I have restored the links for the time being. If some more active member wants to take it over just ask joeq to change the link. The info is pretty comprehensive as is, but if you can think of anything that would add more value please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back