Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4,636 of 8,309
back on track???

I've listening to a 1972 La Radiotechnique pcc85/9aq8 that I got from mhamel. He told me that although it has a 9V heater it runs fine in the Aune T1. Apparently not all versions of the 9aq8 do. I can confirm that it runs fine and sounds great. I just did a quick check with some femaie vocals (Joni Mitchell, Jennifer Warnes) and some acoustic music (Joshua Bell and Edgar Meyer). Not sure I would prefer it over the 1969 Amperex OG 6dj8 I also got from mike, but it will stay in my T1 for a while. I would look forward to impressions from those with better ears, I'm new to tube rolling.

I poked around on line but could not find a source of this particular tube on line. mhamel may have some more.

Dana

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #4,637 of 8,309
Guess I will stay now that certain people can not post in here anymore. 

Built another tube amp last night to use with the Aune.......a simple EL84 job.

Tonights adventure is turn this 600 ohm telco tube amp i found into a headphone amp.

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #4,638 of 8,309
Really close to pulling the trigger on this little AMP/DAC. Seems to offer a lot of bang for your buck. Im thinking of buying a pair of K702 Annie's or maybe Mad Dogs to go with them, currently have CALs and Sony MDR-MA900. The concept of tube rolling seems fun also. Should be a decent step up from my Fiio E10 (I also want to give the E10 to my brother, he still uses onboard and I feel sorry for him)

One question, why doesnt anyone have the two plastic pieces attached on top of the tube in any of the user pictures ive seen of the Aune T1. Is it just an appearance/personal preference thing? Or do the plastic pieces get hot or something?

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #4,642 of 8,309
  clear guards

• obstruct the tube in pictures
  • are a hassle when tube rolling
  • wont fit with a socket saver in place
  • are not for grown ups 

can go on :)

I see, thank you. I agree, the tube looks better naked. Are there any guides/tips for proper Tube removal and installation? Is it just slowly massage the pins in until they click in place?

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #4,643 of 8,309
  whats a socket saver?

refer this 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVIB-Socket-Saver-with-Vibration-Redu-Plug-Play-9-pin-B9A-NOT-Made-in-China-/161065066374

Socket saver / holder is used to protect/save the stock socket in Aune T1 when you roll tubes frequently.

fyi , there are other econ versions of what i have referenced above, starting from $4 to $25

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #4,644 of 8,309

I see, thank you. I agree, the tube looks better naked. Are there any guides/tips for proper Tube removal and installation? Is it just slowly massage the pins in until they click in place?

im new at this myself,  but i usually rock the tube from multiple directions to loosen it with an upward pressure, same goes for installing 
To quit being so careful everytime i got myself a socket saver/holder.

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #4,645 of 8,309

im new at this myself,  but i usually rock the tube from multiple directions to loosen it with an upward pressure, same goes for installing 
To quit being so careful everytime i got myself a socket saver/holder.

Spot on...the whole key, no excessive force. Some tubes have also had their pins bent slightly which is where a pin straightener comes in...so they go in straight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vacuum-Tube-Tester-Pin-Straightener-7-9-10-Compactron-Magnoval-Novar-/221370961797?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item338abccf85

Not a must unless you tend to get bent pins...which means someone used too much force...

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #4,646 of 8,309

Good list...and I agree.

Plus, these tubes (at least mine) don't really get that hot. I can remove easily after turning off. On my main amp? NO WAY....would be like touching a hot kettle....

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #4,648 of 8,309
Back on the "opinion" issue.  I think all are valuable, even if somewhat biased--after all, they are opinions.  Before I bought by Aune (maybe a year ago), I researched the hell out of DAC/amp possibilities.  Then, I researched the hell out of tubes to use.  Opinions are sort of "self correcting," in that if you see some alignment it's probably correct.  I read _every_ thread on Aune tube rolling, (I'm a researcher by profession), then selected 5 tubes to try out and learn from/with.  As a newbie, it would have been trial and error for a long, long time had I not trusted the collective knowledge (including some rather sharp opinions) in those threads.  My only complaint is I spent more money because I went with high-end tubes!  (Special thanks to Salvatore and Coil for that. <just kidding!>)

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #4,649 of 8,309
  Back on the "opinion" issue.  I think all are valuable, even if somewhat biased--after all, they are opinions.  Before I bought by Aune (maybe a year ago), I researched the hell out of DAC/amp possibilities.  Then, I researched the hell out of tubes to use.  Opinions are sort of "self correcting," in that if you see some alignment it's probably correct.  I read _every_ thread on Aune tube rolling, (I'm a researcher by profession), then selected 5 tubes to try out and learn from/with.  As a newbie, it would have been trial and error for a long, long time had I not trusted the collective knowledge (including some rather sharp opinions) in those threads.  My only complaint is I spent more money because I went with high-end tubes!  (Special thanks to Salvatore and Coil for that. <just kidding!>)

So, what Tube are you recommending for what sound signature? What are your sound/music preferences?
My Aune is on it's way to me, just interested to know your conclusions :)

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #4,650 of 8,309
  So, what Tube are you recommending for what sound signature? What are your sound/music preferences?
My Aune is on it's way to me, just interested to know your conclusions :)

Hey bud, not to BUTT in..just wanted to say I finalized my testing - Strictly based on speaker system use. SO headphone use may be completely different

#1 GE branded Siemens 6AQ8
#2 GE Labeled USA made 6DJ8 smoked glass tubes
#3 GE Labeled Made In Holland 6GM8

The Amperex PCC88 Orange Globe code B6J2 fell to 4th place as did a Mullard ~~Mullard 6GM8/ECC86 Coded- ~~D4A2

I will say this on the PCC88 - Might be awesome for headphones as it has ALOT of bass which I had found lacking in others (for headphone use). For speaker use, it was excessive.

My ratings here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/3765#post_10120575

Users who are viewing this thread

Back