Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Nov 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #3,316 of 8,309
This is all sounding a little odd to me, guys.. Let me make sure I'm hearing you correctly.

The tube is located in the DAC section - so it's effectively on "Full volume" being fed into the SS amp. Adjusting the volume actually doesn't involve the tube, at all.

Are you suggesting that the frequency response of the solid state amp section is being drastically altered by adjusting the volume knob?

If so, your unit is faulty. And I'd be VERY interested to see exactly what is causing that to happen.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #3,317 of 8,309
  This is all sounding a little odd to me, guys.. Let me make sure I'm hearing you correctly.

The tube is located in the DAC section - so it's effectively on "Full volume" being fed into the SS amp. Adjusting the volume actually doesn't involve the tube, at all.

Are you suggesting that the frequency response of the solid state amp section is being drastically altered by adjusting the volume knob?

If so, your unit is faulty. And I'd be VERY interested to see exactly what is causing that to happen.

Well, now you have me confused.

Let me give you another example. At 20% of volume, I can clearly make out the lyrics as they are the things that outshine the rest. However at 80% of the volume, the lyrics are a bit crowded out by all the other "sounds".

All on the stock tube :/

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #3,320 of 8,309
I trust your hearing, but I'm sure the volume knob doesn't change the frequency response. If I ever notice something like that I would immediately change to some other amp/dac. My theory is that you have sensitive ears and with high volumes the lows and/or highs fatigue your ears so that the mids feel recessed. That's my only reasonable explain to this. The volume knob isn't linear, that's for sure, but it also shouldn't eq the sound. There could also be some high volume bleeding which rolls the highs and lows over the mids + something to do with headphones. Not sure but this is very strange and interesting indeed.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #3,321 of 8,309
I'm pretty sure it's something wrong with me, as I can't differentiate between using WASAPI event, WASAPI push or the normal output in foobar :/

Your explanation seems the most logical though. Sibilance presents itself at higher volumes so I'm not sure :/

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #3,322 of 8,309
I think it may be a combination of things, namely the sound signature of the Fostex-based Paradox and the T1's ability (or non-ability) to really drive them.   I also find the stock tube to be harsh and kind of thin sounding.

I haven't heard the Paradox, but I do have a pair of Mad Dogs that the T1 just doesn't seem to have the power to drive well.   Through the T1, at low volumes, the mids are much more prominent and there isn't much bass.   At higher volumes, there's more bass and treble present in the sound, so they mids seem to fade more into the mix, but the whole thing becomes a bit muddy. It's not as exaggerated using a tube that has more laid-back/warmer mids than the stock tube.  

Running the Aune as a DAC into a Schiit Lyr makes a not-at-all subtle difference in this.   The bass is back, the highs are smoother and it all holds together well at higher volumes.

-Mike

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3,323 of 8,309
I received my T1 today. After an hour of listening, there is some very strange cracking popping noise. Does anyone have the same problem?

I don't know if the T1 or the tube is defective.
triportsad.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #3,324 of 8,309
  I received my T1 today. After an hour of listening, there is some very strange cracking popping noise. Does anyone have the same problem?

I don't know if the T1 or the tube is defective.
triportsad.gif

A couple of other people seem to have the same problem and it's a defective piece. Where did you buy it from.

I think it may be a combination of things, namely the sound signature of the Fostex-based Paradox and the T1's ability (or non-ability) to really drive them.   I also find the stock tube to be harsh and kind of thin sounding.

I haven't heard the Paradox, but I do have a pair of Mad Dogs that the T1 just doesn't seem to have the power to drive well.   Through the T1, at low volumes, the mids are much more prominent and there isn't much bass.   At higher volumes, there's more bass and treble present in the sound, so they mids seem to fade more into the mix, but the whole thing becomes a bit muddy. It's not as exaggerated using a tube that has more laid-back/warmer mids than the stock tube.  

Running the Aune as a DAC into a Schiit Lyr makes a not-at-all subtle difference in this.   The bass is back, the highs are smoother and it all holds together well at higher volumes.

-Mike

Damn, I really thought they could drive the Fostex well, seems it isn't too good. Your words ring the truth. The bass is definitely lacking as I've said earlier. Just add more sibilance at higher volumes and you're bang on!

Unfortunately the Lyr is too expensive. So you mean to say the amp in the T1 isn't good?

You break my heart

There's just one thing. I bought my Aune T1 from Aune's official store and they are awesome.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3,326 of 8,309
  A couple of other people seem to have the same problem and it's a defective piece. Where did you buy it from.

Damn, I really thought they could drive the Fostex well, seems it isn't too good. Your words ring the truth. The bass is definitely lacking as I've said earlier. Just add more sibilance at higher volumes and you're bang on!

Unfortunately the Lyr is too expensive. So you mean to say the amp in the T1 isn't good?

You break my heart

There's just one thing. I bought my Aune T1 from Aune's official store and they are awesome.

The amp is the T1 is a decent amp, but planar headphones like power, and it is a pretty basic amp in the T1.   It drives my DT-990/250s well.

I don't think the Fostex need as much power as the Lyr delivers, but I do think they would benefit from a more powerful amp than the one that's built-in on the T1.    Something like the Schiit Asgard 2, Magni or the forthcoming Vali.   Little Dot I+ (with a whole new world of tube rolling).   Another possible way to go (there's a huge thread on it here) is using a vintage (70s) receiver or integrated amp as a headphone amp.  Most of them drove the headphones right from the main power amp with resistors.  They have plenty of power and can sound truly excellent.

-Mike

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #3,328 of 8,309
M-Stage or O2 would probably be my choice.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #3,329 of 8,309

You break my heart

What gain settings to you have the unit on? 

(The dip switches underneath)

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #3,330 of 8,309

Email them back immediately. I'm the guy that can relate to that problem. If it's happening so quickly that's not a good sign, that happened to mine in like 50 days of purchase. That seller is very good, I had the same seller and I shipped it back and they shipped me a new one, paid for the shipping back too. Only problem is they will request you to send it to China, it can take quite some time depending on how you send it, they sent it back within 3 or 4 days to Canada.. Havn't had problems with the new one they sent, but also make sure on the bottom all the little switches are to ON. That's one thing their engineer told me before sending it back. Could just be the tube, but wasn't with my case... instead of contacting the seller I bought a new tube which was just a waste of time cause it did not work, and they can easily send you a replacement tube (if that may be the issue).

But it's weird that it happened to you too from the same seller... I'll be updating if my Aune starts getting screwy again, it definitely sounds good though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back