Aune s5, new versatile transport.
Jul 3, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 28
I bought the Aune S5 directly from Aune China (Wuhan Ao Lai Er Technology CO.,LTD.) 4 weeks ago. But in the email, they mentioned "we can send S5 and S5A, may be in the future need some function upgrade, we will send you software in the future, so if you can accept that, i will send you the products".

I don't think the product is ready for release as there are firmware revisions to fix issues. The mobile phone app to control S5 is still under development. I recommend please wait until the product officially appears in Aune website.

Jul 5, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 28
Buy a streamer with a serious development and software support team behind it.
Buy a storage player that works without a phone app - like the Sony HAP series.

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 28
HAP Z1ES is a player with an excellent DAC inside - a bit pointless to use it as an USB-out player with an external DAC.

PS: Buying something because it has DSD1024 instead of DSD128 is :)

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 28
The Burr-Brown PCM1795 inside Sony HAP-Z1ES is no match against R2R DAC like Terminator. It's IC-based DAC below $10 per channel compared to fully discrete resistor-based DAC above $4k.

If you compare Sony against another IC-based external DAC, maybe no point to use external DAC. I have Oppo 205 which uses ES9038PRO - its sounds better than the Sony HAP.

FYI some studios like Blue Coast Music recorded and mastered their albums in DSD 4x, and we can buy in that format as well, DSD 4x.

But this thread is about Aune S5, let's stick to it.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 28
The days of judging a DAC by the chip used are long gone for me. :)

As for the S5, the jitter spec doesn't look very 2018 and the software will be ... at best bug free but limited. And I'm not holding my breath for bug free.

There's a reason you always see these DLNA streamers discounted / cheap on the used market, while the people who do the work like Bluesound can sell you a little plastic box like the vault2 for 1000+ pounds - and it commands a high price used as well. Streamers are defined by their software. And software is hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back