Aune S17 pro
Feb 18, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #1,412 of 2,249
Overheating concern :frowning2:
Just got my Aune 17 Pro today. I plugged it up and everything worked great. I read online that it needs to be "burned in" so I played some music in 100ma for about 1 hour and it was keeping 56. I ran some errands and left it on for about 6 hours without headphones connected and no incoming signal.

At the 7th hour, It was idling at about 65C. I started playing music and it rose to 69c degrees and auto switched down to 50ma. I kept playing music and It slowly KEPT on climbing to 74 degrees, at 50ma. I got worried and turned it off as I am not sure what the upper limit is.

Question is... Why it getting so hot. Below is room temp, connections, etc.

Ambient Room Temperature: 73f (22c)
DAC Connection: XLR from an EverSolo DAC-Z6 set to 0 db.
Headphones: Hifiman Edition XS 18 ohm with 95db sensitivity.
Headphone Connection: 4.4 Balanced 6N OCC Copper Silver Plated Cord. 6.6ft long.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #1,413 of 2,249
Overheating concern :frowning2:
Just got my Aune 17 Pro today. I plugged it up and everything worked great. I read online that it needs to be "burned in" so I played some music in 100ma for about 1 hour and it was keeping 56. I ran some errands and left it on for about 6 hours without headphones connected and no incoming signal.

At the 7th hour, It was idling at about 65C. I started playing music and it rose to 69c degrees and auto switched down to 50ma. I kept playing music and It slowly KEPT on climbing to 74 degrees, at 50ma. I got worried and turned it off as I am not sure what the upper limit is.

Question is... Why it getting so hot. Below is room temp, connections, etc.

Ambient Room Temperature: 73f (22c)
DAC Connection: XLR from an EverSolo DAC-Z6 set to 0 db.
Headphones: Hifiman Edition XS 18 ohm with 95db sensitivity.
Headphone Connection: 4.4 Balanced 6N OCC Copper Silver Plated Cord. 6.6ft long.
As you may have read above, we think length of headphone cable might have something to do with it, do you have a shorter one to try? My XS are stable at 100ma/58 degrees with a 3 foot 4.4mm cable but the temperature went up with a longer one.

Regarding burn-in, it's a contentious subject but a lot of us agree that after x number of hours the electronics settle down and work at their full potential. IMHO x=80+ but there isn't a correct answer. Obviously you can't let it get hotter and hotter and I haven't heard of one going above 70, let alone in 50ma mode, but if you can find a stable state at a reasonable temperature just leave it on for a few days, being class A it's running flat out regardless of signal so that'll do it and the sound will gradually improve.

It would be nice to have some constructive input from Aune, the fact that so many of us are talking about it and doing testing for them can't be doing their reputation much good. Having a great sounding amplifier only goes so far when there are problems like this.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #1,414 of 2,249
Simon,
Thanks for the quick response. I shut down the unit so as not to damage it. I let it sit for about 30 minutes off and when I turned it back on, it had dropped to about 48c. I put it back into 100ma mode and used my HifiMan Crystal Silver Plated Single Ended cable. I have been playing music for about 1 hour now and it is holding at 60c.

The HifiMan cable is 1.5m (4.9 feet long) single ended. With the room now at 72F, let see how long it lasts.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #1,416 of 2,249
As you may have read above, we think length of headphone cable might have something to do with it

Headphones + cable manifest itself to the device like an impedance. Cable itself makes very small part of that impedance. S17 Pro does not "know" what is connected and does not see cable length, it sees only impedance. Think about headphones + cable like about black box with electrical properties.

I would search the difference in single ended vs balanced headphone output of S17 Pro, not in the cable length.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #1,417 of 2,249
Headphones + cable manifest itself to the device like an impedance. Cable itself makes very small part of that impedance. S17 Pro does not "know" what is connected and does not see cable length, it sees only impedance. Think about headphones + cable like about black box with electrical properties.

I would search the difference in single ended vs balanced headphone output of S17 Pro, not in the cable length.
I can't argue with your logic, yet changing the cable (both balanced) made a big difference to the temperature here. It makes no sense but I'm interested now. :)

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #1,418 of 2,249
Yeah, it's like a good Technical Mystery story.

:grabs popcorn

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #1,419 of 2,249
Tested mine with a a 2.5 meters 4.4 mm cable, no diffrence on the temperature. Amp has been on for days and never exceeded 63c 100ma.
On the sound, i find my singxer sa 1 sounds "warmer" some smoother sometimes.
Both are on the smoother side on the treble, it's just like the singxer sa 1 colors the sound more.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #1,421 of 2,249
Tested mine with a a 2.5 meters 4.4 mm cable, no diffrence on the temperature. Amp has been on for days and never exceeded 63c 100ma.
On the sound, i find my singxer sa 1 sounds "warmer" some smoother sometimes.
Glad to hear you got a S17 pro without the heat issue.

Do you listen to the Singer sa1 with or without the jumper mod?
I had previously owned the sa1 and found the jumper mod added clarity but also alot more treble energy.

Is the S17 pro significantly better than the Singer sa1?

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #1,422 of 2,249

I had previously owned the sa1 and found the jumper mod added clarity but also alot more treble energy.

Never tested the jumper mod. I am not a fan of too much treble.
It's more a taste of what you like best, a little more neutral or some less neutral sound. On the singxer sa 1, i find snare drums sound some more warmer.

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #1,423 of 2,249

I had both of these devices. Aune s17 Pro sounds much better.

No, I didn't use the jumper with SA-1.

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #1,424 of 2,249
I’m Interested on a comparison between the ZMF x JDS Labs Homage Amp and the S17 pro, as anyone tested both?

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #1,425 of 2,249
there was 100 set of s17 pro bundle purchasing event in South Korea hifi forum. as I looked through their user feedback, my conclusion is, firmware version doesn’t matter, date of manufacturing doesn’t matter. in/out media type doesn’t matter. length of headphone cable doesn’t matter. headphones impedance slightly related. Basically none of S17 unit has same behavior of overheating. None of S17 unit has different quality. it is all different, some lucky buyers have cooled down units, some unlucky buyers have HOT units. some of super unlucky buyers have Extremely HOT & FIRED unit. I can say this bad products are approximately 10%. it is all about RANDOM pick. Aune makes good quality hifi unit in general, but I can tell they failed Quality Control on S17 Pro at least.

I am going to buy alternative products instead of S17 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back