Aune S17 pro
Jan 7, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #976 of 2,249
100ma. Everything else the same. Took 15 min to change back to 50ma.

1000077490.jpg

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #977 of 2,249
Jan 7, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #979 of 2,249
Is that the max or will it go higher? What happens if you actually start using it? Have you ever tried leaving it on overnight/ all day?
It reached 64 C in 50ma before and once it wasn't able to drop below 66 after switching automatically to 50ma after reaching 69 C. I think the maximum time I had it connected was less than 4 hours. Don't know if it can reach 69 C in 50ma and what happens in that situation (maybe it enters self-destruction mode😁)

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #980 of 2,249
Return it for replacement or repair, this is not normal.
definitively not normal behavior from this amp. My amp on the same settings and using it as a preamp for my active speakers stays in the low 50s

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #981 of 2,249
Wanted to read more sound impressions and comparisons to other higher priced class A amps (by the users here not by the reviewers) but temperature control became the major issue for discussion. 😅 Still very interested in this amp thought if I am not gonna stretch my budget to something like Burson or Schiit amps. New gustard h26 will be a good competition to but believe that s17 pro will be the wise choice with good performance / price ratio.

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #982 of 2,249
Wanted to read more sound impressions and comparisons to other higher priced class A amps (by the users here not by the reviewers) but temperature control became the major issue for discussion. 😅 Still very interested in this amp thought if I am not gonna stretch my budget to something like Burson or Schiit amps. New gustard h26 will be a good competition to but believe that s17 pro will be the wise choice with good performance / price ratio.
Once the amp has been fully burn in and settle and you had put it through it's peaces, the sound that comes from it, in my case, on the 100ma mode, it's very warm and lush and very punchy, specially around the mid-bass and also brings a little big of slap into the lower mid-range, the treble for me if it change in anything, probably is in the sense that compare to the 50ma it probably sounds a little bit more close in the sound stage, so probably you're losing a little bit of resolution in the treble, but it's incredibly enjoyable in a similar way of the stereotypical tube-amp would bring. If the 100ma is a little bit too much for your taste, the 50ma is a little bit more airy and more natural/neutral sounding, the sound-stage seems to get a little bit wider but probably a little bit flatter too compare to 100ma, depending on the music you listen to, there's times that 100ma might work better than 50ma and vice-versa.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #983 of 2,249
Once the amp has been fully burn in and settle and you had put it through it's peaces, the sound that comes from it, in my case, on the 100ma mode, it's very warm and lush and very punchy, specially around the mid-bass and also brings a little big of slap into the lower mid-range, the treble for me if it change in anything, probably is in the sense that compare to the 50ma it probably sounds a little bit more close in the sound stage, so probably you're losing a little bit of resolution in the treble, but it's incredibly enjoyable in a similar way of the stereotypical tube-amp would bring. If the 100ma is a little bit too much for your taste, the 50ma is a little bit more airy and more natural/neutral sounding, the sound-stage seems to get a little bit wider but probably a little bit flatter too compare to 100ma, depending on the music you listen to, there's times that 100ma might work better than 50ma and vice-versa.
it is definitely a + as an amp that provides two different sound options. What I anticipate the most from s17 pro is its highly praised soundstage. Reading your impression about the sound reminds me of what R2R dacs provide. Wonder if pairing s17pro with R2R dac will be a great synergy or making the sound too warm or too thick in the note presentation. Thanks for sharing your impression!

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #984 of 2,249
it is definitely a + as an amp that provides two different sound options. What I anticipate the most from s17 pro is its highly praised soundstage. Reading your impression about the sound reminds me of what R2R dacs provide. Wonder if pairing s17pro with R2R dac will be a great synergy or making the sound too warm or too thick in the note presentation. Thanks for sharing your impression!
… for most mortals this combination could be ‘end-game’ stuff :wink:
More seriously the R26 is really good and complements the S17 nicely.
For me the S17 also unleashed the HE6se v2’s real potential.
Those 3 items where my best purchases ever and I am really enjoying my music as never before!
labeelen is running a gustard R26 on his S17 and he could tell you how good it pairs with it.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #985 of 2,249
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #986 of 2,249
After two hours in a room with AC turned on (room temperature 18 C). Before, with room temperature around 28C, in 1 hour it would switch to 50ma. Like I've said many times before, most users will only notice in their summer and hotter months.

1000077599.jpg

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #987 of 2,249
*** Most of the heat is radiated from the bottom. Cooling/ventilating the bottom is the key. Laptop cooler with adjustable fan speed (under $15).
This cooler comes with a 60cm (2ft) USB-A to USB-A power cable. May not be long enough. I also stripped out the brackets/attachments.
50ma mode - XLR hp - Fan speed 30% - Max temp rise 30C.
100ma mode - GH - XLR hp - Fan speed 100% - 2hrs - Temp rise 45C.

Attachments

• S17 1.jpg
    S17 1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • S17 2.jpg
    S17 2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
  • S17 3.jpg
    S17 3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #988 of 2,249
100ma. Everything else the same. Took 15 min to change back to 50ma.
I have strong suspicions that this is an assembly defect. There's a powerful radiator inside that dissipates heat. And it seems that some of the copies are "screwed" somehow wrong.

On my device, the temperature rise stopped at 57 degrees after three hours of use.
After I added the 25mm feet, the temperature stops at 54 degrees.

P.S. Another version is the influence of low-impedance headphones. As far as I remember, the manufacturer recommends using headphones from 30 ohms and above. If you use, for example, 16-ohm Hifiman Arya Organic headphones, you may go beyond the limits recommended by the manufacturer and additional heating may appear.
But this is just a rough guess.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #989 of 2,249
Did you get a direct response from Aune? I am reading through the thread and don't see anything.

Follow up to my post:
I dont know if thats a problem. You tell me!
Tested again today just to be sure.

Started at room and unit temp of 17°C. So the sensor is working correctly.

2024-01-06-19-33-53-337.jpg

And it took 60 min and 57 sec without load and signal to reach 69°C.

Screenshot-20240106-203118-Uhr.png

If thats normal, alright.
If not please let me know. Seller told me its ok.
But than i ask, why even implement a 100mA Mode if its only useable for 60min or less. In a cold room. Am i missing something here? Please let me know if my unit behaves normal or if should return it for repair, replacement. Thank you kindly.

Aune replied today.
Pretty unclear statement, but hints in the direction of "not ok". Another problem occured yesterday. Theres a 50hz buzz on the left chanel. Came out of nowhere. No source connected, no signal. XLR output. Still there. Didnt test the other outputs. I had enough and didnt want to test anything further, switched it off, packaged it and shipped it back the next day after i issued a return with the seller.

There is more to the story wich i will eventually share after things are worked through.

Conversation attatched.

Attachments

• iMarkup_20240109_142734.jpg
    iMarkup_20240109_142734.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #990 of 2,249
*** Most of the heat is radiated from the bottom. Cooling/ventilating the bottom is the key. Laptop cooler with adjustable fan speed (under $15).
Nice!!!!

I'm kind of jealous and I feel really stupid right now because I just bought a solution to mount higher my amp to be able to put a couple of 120mm usb powered fans but this seems like a more sensibly and efficient solution. Will post pictures of my r-word setup for keeping my S17 cool hopefully next week if everything arrives on time and according to saint amazon's given schedule.

Tho I don't really have problems with my amp overheating, It seems my koss kph40 put a lot of stress on my amp for some strange reason, I'm going to take that opportunity to stress test my amp and see how fast temps rise and for how long can I keep it running my koss at 100ma mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back