Aune S17 pro
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #1,996 of 2,487
So it seems it was the cable.

I have an Audeze LCD2C and have tried out a HE400SE on my S17, I have noticed that once you reach 56 on the volume level it gets extremely loud, even with the upgraded volume pot firmware, but for me in particular, 48 or 50 it's about as much as I'm willing to go on the volume on high gain, 100ma mode and I don't feel that the amp it's lacking in dynamics or punch.
My XS's are Impedance : 18Ω / Sensitivity : 92dB, the HE400S are 98dB / 22 Ohms, which is a bit more sensitive / easy drive than XS. That would confirm my findings - 40 on HI-GAIN is about the max. volume I am comfortable listening to Pop/Rock music and 45 some easier and classical music. So I guess there is nothing wrong with my S17, I only thought the power reserve for driving my XS's (and HE1000SE in the near future) will be a bit bigger.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #1,997 of 2,487
Made the test. Volume 63 / HI-GAIN / RCA from my JDS ODAC sound s like volume 45 / HI-GAIN / XLR from my Pegasus (that the initian statement was about). What does that mean?
RCA line out from a DAC generally gives a 2v signal, XLR line-out it higher at 4v, generally speaking, what this means it's that from XLR you're getting more gain for your amp.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #1,998 of 2,487
My XS's are Impedance : 18Ω / Sensitivity : 92dB, the HE400S are 98dB / 22 Ohms, which is a bit more sensitive / easy drive than XS. That would confirm my findings - 40 on HI-GAIN is about the max. volume I am comfortable listening to Pop/Rock music and 45 some easier and classical music. So I guess there is nothing wrong with my S17, I only thought the power reserve for driving my XS's (and HE1000SE in the near future) will be a bit bigger.
Couple a days ago here was talk about Aune and vol levels. At least for me it was new knowledge that Aune as a class A amp is tolerant for all volume levels. If you use level 56 or 28 for example, same for Aune. No extra struggling with higher vol levels.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #2,000 of 2,487
got a used unit off eBay for £450, pairing it with iFi Zen DAC V1 and LCD-2 Classic -- extremely warm sound! just how I like it

DAC to AMP is connected fully balanced (iFi 4.4mm to dual XLR) and LCD-2C to AMP is also balanced (4.4mm output)

really enjoying the sound it produces! noticeably a lot cleaner than my previous amp (zen can)

I can't notice a big enough difference between 50 MA and 100 MA to justify baking it. I have it at high gain, volume chilling at around the 40 mark

one thing I have noticed is that the volume dial if you turn it slightly to the right, it occasionally goes back one unit first before working as expected. very minor detail that I'm not too fussed about

seems to happen with the remote too (remote is lovely, although even after opening the back I can't figure out how you can replace the battery)

temps stay under 50c in a 18.1c room at 50 MA. the previous owner installed some feet underneath to raise it, which is much appreciated, and I also have it propped up on that laptop stand someone recommended earlier on this thread

all in all, probably endgame amp. not gonna faff about past the £1k mark, think it's just gonna be diminishing returns because while I do notice an improvement from zen can its moreso a refinement rather than a significant improvement... I can't see it getting much better and I'm gonna try my best to stick with that mentality lol

probably need to upgrade DAC soon enough, and then sell a kidney for a better pair of headphones!

edit: post 2000 on this thread! in case anyone's wondering, I've just got it hooked up to my MacBook Pro M2 Max and streaming off Apple Music hi-res lossless where possible

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #2,001 of 2,487
one thing I have noticed is that the volume dial if you turn it slightly to the right, it occasionally goes back one unit first before working as expected. very minor detail that I'm not too fussed about
Yep, the volume dial it's kind of crap, this is why I use the remote instead, much better control of the volume that way.
seems to happen with the remote too (remote is lovely, although even after opening the back I can't figure out how you can replace the battery)
To change the battery you need an hex key to do that, maybe @AuneAudio could tell us what size exactly. Another problem with the amp is that it's extremely sensitive to other FLIR sources, I notice that when I use the remote for my active speakers, the volume would also go up or down on my amp, so that's a little bit annoying.
temps stay under 50c in a 18.1c room at 50 MA. the previous owner installed some feet underneath to raise it, which is much appreciated, and I also have it propped up on that laptop stand someone recommended earlier on this thread

all in all, probably endgame amp. not gonna faff about past the £1k mark, think it's just gonna be diminishing returns because while I do notice an improvement from zen can its moreso a refinement rather than a significant improvement... I can't see it getting much better and I'm gonna try my best to stick with that mentality lol

probably need to upgrade DAC soon enough, and then sell a kidney for a better pair of headphones!

edit: post 2000 on this thread! in case anyone's wondering, I've just got it hooked up to my MacBook Pro M2 Max and streaming off Apple Music hi-res lossless where possible
I also think that a DAC upgrade for me it's up next rather than an amp upgrade, I'm looking at the Holo Audio Cyan 2 or Cayin's new iDAP-8 for this upgrade, people have been recommending an R2R DAC to pair with this amp in particular.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #2,002 of 2,487
Just a first observation about my S17 temp control - after 6 hours of nonstop playback at volume 42 on low-gain and 100mA mode, the temp is firmly stabilized at 63° C, amp being sit on a 25 mm tall aluminium stands, 23° C room temp, no active or passive cooling involved. I guess that is a good outcome.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #2,003 of 2,487
Just a first observation about my S17 temp control - after 6 hours of nonstop playback at volume 42 on low-gain and 100mA mode, the temp is firmly stabilized at 63° C, amp being sit on a 25 mm tall aluminium stands, 23° C room temp, no active or passive cooling involved. I guess that is a good outcome.
Can you put it in the high gain on your amp and see if the temps hold or rise and by how much?

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #2,004 of 2,487
I also think that a DAC upgrade for me it's up next rather than an amp upgrade, I'm looking at the Holo Audio Cyan 2 or Cayin's new iDAP-8 for this upgrade, people have been recommending an R2R DAC to pair with this amp in particular.
I still have much to learn, I did not realise there were different types of DACs! I suppose I have a multibit DAC in the iFi Zen DAC. I was originally looking at the audiolab m-dac+ as I seem to be able to find it at good prices, but maybe I should do my research and figure out whether multibit or R2R DACs are better suited for me. would you happen to know what the main differences are and why R2R may pair better with the s17 pro?

also, adding on to what someone said earlier, changing to 56 is also a massive increase in volume -- far more than what I'd consider comfortable listening for me on high gain, but on low gain the vocals seemed louder without much change elsewhere which I liked. generally speaking though the LCD-2C seems to perform better on high gain anyway

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #2,005 of 2,487
I still have much to learn, I did not realise there were different types of DACs! I suppose I have a multibit DAC in the iFi Zen DAC. I was originally looking at the audiolab m-dac+ as I seem to be able to find it at good prices, but maybe I should do my research and figure out whether multibit or R2R DACs are better suited for me. would you happen to know what the main differences are and why R2R may pair better with the s17 pro?

also, adding on to what someone said earlier, changing to 56 is also a massive increase in volume -- far more than what I'd consider comfortable listening for me on high gain, but on low gain the vocals seemed louder without much change elsewhere which I liked. generally speaking though the LCD-2C seems to perform better on high gain anyway
I would recommend you go to the Holo Audio Cyan 2 and the Gustard R26 threads on this forum, also there has been a couple of people that own both a Gustard R26 and this amp and they have already reported in this very thread that the R26(which is a R2R DAC) pairs really well with this amp. You can search and filter through this thread to look if this kind of DAC will work for you.

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #2,006 of 2,487
I would recommend you go to the Holo Audio Cyan 2 and the Gustard R26 threads on this forum, also there has been a couple of people that own both a Gustard R26 and this amp and they have already reported in this very thread that the R26(which is a R2R DAC) pairs really well with this amp. You can search and filter through this thread to look if this kind of DAC will work for you.
you may have just brought me down a new rabbit hole :p

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #2,007 of 2,487
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #2,008 of 2,487
You might also also take a look at the R2R Denafrips Ares 12th-1, which many reviewers found pretty close to the Gustard R26 for around two-thirds the price. (Also, I have no idea what your space situation is like, but that was a major consideration in my choice of the Ares, which is roughly average desktop size, over the R26, which is a very big fella, significantly larger than the S17, which already is slightly large for my space.) The Ares and the S17 warm up my Hifiman HEK Stealth, which many find overly bright, nicely. (Well, that and the fact that I am 70 and have listened to loud rock music for between five and six decades.)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #2,009 of 2,487
You might also also take a look at the R2R Denafrips Ares 12th-1, which many reviewers found pretty close to the Gustard R26 for around two-thirds the price. (Also, I have no idea what your space situation is like, but that was a major consideration in my choice of the Ares, which is roughly average desktop size, over the R26, which is a very big fella, significantly large than the S17, which already is slightly large for my space.) The Ares and the S17 warm up my Hifiman HEK Stealth, which many find overly bright, nicely. (Well, that and the fact that I am 70 and have listened to loud rock music for between five and six decades.)
very interesting to know, thank you! I was looking at Holo Audio Cyan 2 since it seemed to be closer to a price I'd consider reasonable, but it seems to be extremely difficult to get in the UK and when it is available, sold out almost immediately. I'll take a look :) I live in a small flat and my room, while not small, isn't big either, so definitely something similar to the size of the S17 pro would be preferable

as a side note, the new Fabiana Palladino album sounds absolutely phenomenal on LCD-2C with S17 Pro -- highly recommended listen :)

Apr 5, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #2,010 of 2,487
very interesting to know, thank you! I was looking at Holo Audio Cyan 2 since it seemed to be closer to a price I'd consider reasonable, but it seems to be extremely difficult to get in the UK and when it is available, sold out almost immediately. I'll take a look :) I live in a small flat and my room, while not small, isn't big either, so definitely something similar to the size of the S17 pro would be preferable

as a side note, the new Fabiana Palladino album sounds absolutely phenomenal on LCD-2C with S17 Pro -- highly recommended listen :)
Size is so relative. I'm very happy with Gustard R26. It's not Imo big, slightly bigger than Aune anyhow. Soundwise a great match with Aune, musical and detailed tubey like combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back