Aune M2 | AK4490 Dac | Class A amp | Dual Crystek USA Clocks |
Jan 27, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #241 of 824
Based on reviews (including google translate Russian and Japanese reviews) my one concern about the M2 sonically is that it might be a little thin/digital/sibilant. Can anyone comment?

Also for nmatheis - I know you compared it to the Esther Analog (at the upper end of my budget) - on SQ alone do you think the Esther is worth the extra $200? One thing I suspect the M2 has going for it is more power and therefore better dynamics. Is that fair to say?

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #242 of 824
I have some questions gentlemen if you don't mind :)
@nmatheis, i've read some weird stuff about M2 and cue files. Have you expirienced any problems with those? Particulary, i was told M2 makes a mistake when one tries to choose a track which is inside of a single flac file (like i have an lp that is not cut into separate tracks but want to listen it from, say, a track №3) 
@cattlethief, have you tested a battery life of your M2? Early comments were like 5 to 6 hours but there also were promises made by Aune that it will be about 7 - 7.5 hours of playback in release models.
And there is also one more question to all the M2 owners. Does it have enough "air" for classics? I have no doubt rock or jazz sound great, but what about some Vivaldi or Bach? Is it on par with dx90 or dx100?
Thank you

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #243 of 824
Stuff Jones: IIRC, Japanese (and Korean) DAPs are known for being full / warm / smooth. Depending on the context (what source they're used to, what HP / IEM they used), I guess I could maybe see someone describing M2 like you metioned. I have to say that wasn't my experience, though. It didn't sound digital, sibilant, or thin. It wasn't as full as Mojo or (especially) Esther Analog, but it wasn't thin. I've heard my DX90 sounding digital. M2 wasn't that. I've heard my X3 and X5 sound a bit harsh up top. M2 wasn't that, either.

As far as comparing it with Esther, there're trade-offs. I really like Esther's full / smooth / warm sound. It fits my preferences very well. M2 is very good, too. However for me, Esther Abalog pushes more of the right sonic buttons. If you're concerned about digital / sibilant / thin, Esther Analog sure won't give you that.

specKtre: I rip FLAC + CUE using XLD on my Mac. It gives me the typical single FLAC file + single CUE sheet per CD. Works just fine on the M2 for me. I had one CD that just kept playing the first song over and over every time I'd FFWD or REW. But guess what, it did the exact same thing on all my DAPs so something was wonky with the CD - not the M2. That was repeatable across DAPs with a couple attempts at FLAC + CUE rips from that CD using XLD. Just something off about that one CD. Other than that one CD, all the others I've tried have been fine across all of my DAPs including the M2. Granted it wasn't like I tried ripping all my CDs to FLAC + CUE, but I did rip several and they worked just fine with that one exception mentioned above.

Hope that helps guys. Hopefully my buddy drbluenewmexico joins us because he just got the M2s and is floored by the sound quality.

And if anyone needs the latest FW (1.22), let me know and I'll get it to you.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #245 of 824
drbluenewmexico just got the M2s yesterday. He said 1.21 didn't work, so I asked Aune for the firmware again figuring something might've gotten corrupted. drblue used the new one Aune sent me, and it upgraded just fine. Then he told me it was 1.22. That surprised me because the Aune rep hadn't mentioned that it was a new version. I update the M2 they'd sent me, and yup it was 1.22.

Now drblue said his M2s was on 1.0 firmware. Not sure if he just meant it was on the original firmware or if it really said 1.0. Even I haven't seen a 1.0 firmware. I'm betting it was either 1.10 or 1.11.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #246 of 824
@drbluenewmexico just got the M2s yesterday. He said 1.21 didn't work, so I asked Aune for the firmware again figuring something might've gotten corrupted. drblue used the new one Aune sent me, and it upgraded just fine. Then he told me it was 1.22. That surprised me because the Aune rep hadn't mentioned that it was a new version. I update the M2 they'd sent me, and yup it was 1.22.

Now drblue said his M2s was on 1.0 firmware. Not sure if he just meant it was on the original firmware or if it really said 1.0. Even I haven't seen a 1.0 firmware. I'm betting it was either 1.10 or 1.11.

Great send me 1.22 then :D Please

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #247 of 824
Check your PMs Mim. Let me know if it works. If it does, maybe others would like to try.
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #251 of 824
@Stuff Jones: IIRC, Japanese (and Korean) DAPs are known for being full / warm / smooth. Depending on the context (what source they're used to, what HP / IEM they used), I guess I could maybe see someone describing M2 like you metioned. I have to say that wasn't my experience, though. It didn't sound digital, sibilant, or thin. It wasn't as full as Mojo or (especially) Esther Analog, but it wasn't thin. I've heard my DX90 sounding digital. M2 wasn't that. I've heard my X3 and X5 sound a bit harsh up top. M2 wasn't that, either.

As far as comparing it with Esther, there're trade-offs. I really like Esther's full / smooth / warm sound. It fits my preferences very well. M2 is very good, too. However for me, Esther Abalog pushes more of the right sonic buttons. If you're concerned about digital / sibilant / thin, Esther Analog sure won't give you that.

Thanks as always nmatheis. One more thing - can you hear the power advantage that the M2 has? Is it a punchier sound? One reason I'm so intrigued is the class A amp - I love the punchy, powerful sound of my geekout 450 and hope to replicate in mobile form.

By comparison with my fairly hard to drive R2Pros my Shozy Alien sounds a little flat and unexciting.

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #254 of 824
  Good afternoon.I have a big request to you.Send please, if you is not difficult.The new firmware 1.22.In the aune m2.My email:nedomolkina56@mail.ru.I would be very grateful and thankful.

Good afternoon.I have a big request to you.Send please, if you is not difficult.The new firmware 1.22.In the aune m2.My email:nedomolkina56@mail.ru.I would be very grateful and thankful.

@drbluenewmexico just got the M2s yesterday. He said 1.21 didn't work, so I asked Aune for the firmware again figuring something might've gotten corrupted. drblue used the new one Aune sent me, and it upgraded just fine. Then he told me it was 1.22. That surprised me because the Aune rep hadn't mentioned that it was a new version. I update the M2 they'd sent me, and yup it was 1.22.

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #255 of 824
Thank you @nmatheis you are very kind :) I'll get my new DAP in a few days, so if it i'll choose to go with M2 the new fw would be needed and deeply appriciated
rolleyes.gif

One more question for you then. I'm choosing between M2 (non-Pro) and Cayin N5. Which in your opinion has more detailed and analytical sound? Because i personally am looking for something with really good retrival of details. Maybe a little less digital then DX90 (which is a bit too much for me) but close. From what i've read M2 looks a bit more "audiphilic" but whether the difference is worth of all the sacrifices of user comfort... I really, really need an advice
And once more: thank you :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back