Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Jul 2, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #1,548 of 1,991
Fast is very analitical
Mp is a bit warmer
Slow is bassy warm and organic
I see thanks. With IEM it's so difficult to notice. I guess with headphone it's easier.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,550 of 1,991
@Ver JJ ok first off i have to apologise bro because i went into star picker today and it was a sudden thing and didn't inform you...now here's what happened...so i spent another 3 hours today trying out the m1s and n3 and my impressions are as such...now most of you are saying that it sounds neutral now i'm not sure what that means exactly again i'm just an average joe with a budget but to me single ended while rich in detail and the instrument position(some of the samples were symphony pieces) ie cello sound moving up and down was amazing but i felt the overall single ended to sound flat...now to me flat. Now i'm not sure how to explain this but i'll try: the details are all there but it didn't impress me ( let me apologise in advance as that's just my opinion and in no way am i saying it is gospel)...but switch to balance and the m1s really really shines....i mean to me balance blows me away every time....i feel as if i'm immersed into a whole new level of detail tht single ended did not provide...but here's the thing, at present i'm on a budget and i still have to buy an sd card for my songs( whether i get the n3 or m1s, this was going to be a compulsory buy since i don't one atm), and two the cost to get balanced cables for my e40 is pretty high...now to put things into perspective, i bought my e40's on sale here in malaysia for RM 339, and the replacement balanced cable is approx RM 270 which costs almost as much as my iems....also i have to pay the diffference for the upgrade of the m1s as well so all things considered i decided to stick with the N3...i feel that for the price it sounds pretty good( to me at least) it definately can't compete with the balanced out of the m1s but on single ended it drove my iems pretty well on low gain but the m1s could drive it similarly on middle so i think possibly the n3 is more powerful...but the main kicker was the added features of bluetooth, ability to use the DAP as a usb DAC and duplex bluetooth is a real treat so for these reasons alone i will be sticking with the n3 but if budget wasn't an issue then yea the m1s and balanced cable for my e40 all day long..for those of you who are still using single ended on the m1s pls fo me a favour and switch to balance...you won't regret it....my only hope is i can own the m1s with some balanced iems in the near future cause i wouldn't want to listen to them any other way...thanks to everyone who helped i appreciate it : ) on a separate note i was really really surprised at how clear the technica's e40s are..i'm sue they;re not the greatest but for the price it was stunned..it goes to show with the right source and equipment everything can shine...impressive...oh btw the shop loaned me a pair of balanced iems i can't remember the name they were supposedly custom made and tuned to hifi..he told the name but i forgot ogc or opq or something like that lol should have taken a pic...oh one more thing i know this is not directly related but what sd cards are you guys using?? as in does the speeds have to be super fast or can i opt for bigger storage with the lower speed? thanks again - Julian-

No worries, I can feel that you were pumped yesterday.... well I will be going there to try out TFZ exclusive 1 soon.... so yeah... no worries.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #1,558 of 1,991
What's the effect of the amp with it? Haven't used one.

Basically if you own the XD-05 running it through the USB (desktop), it uses both the DAC+AMP. Which the amp provides extra power/juice (gain) to drive your Headphones/IEM's.

So by using jus true amp section, it provides more juice and it does colour the sound signature a little depending on your pre-amp. If you have the modded version (like mine) then it'll be warmer, etc.

In a nutshell, it helps with driving higher impedance/power hungry headphones/IEMS.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #1,559 of 1,991
Let me preface this as I just received my m1s yesterday and this is initial impressions that I'm hearing.

FW: 1.06
Sd card: 64gb Samsung pro plus.

Question for all who have heard that popping sound at end of the song. Are you using gapless? Because when turned on I'm hearing the pop but with it turned off I'm not. Whether it's turned on or off I still experience a mangling of the last second off the song.

Aune needs to work on gapless and transitions between songs. Hoping they come up with fw update addressing this.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not 100% sure this is a card issue but an implementation issue with gapless. Great player but one of the worst efforts at gapless.

Anyone in contact with Aune software engineers? The playback issue only occurs with FLAC 16 bit files from my experience. I'm using 128 GB Samsung EVO+ card. Hope they are working with this

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #1,560 of 1,991
Lol I'm still getting rare funny turntable stuttering sounds randomly.

Like you are listening to a song. But it sounds like a DJ interrupting the turntable for 4 seconds. It made one of the electronic songs sound excellent with the timing of the drops.

But it just sounds annoying AF on other genres when it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back