Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Jul 1, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,531 of 1,991
Aune DAPs are so pure, they can't even dare to delete a file from the UI :D

Yo, what gain setting are M1s club members using for iems? From a technical standpoint you should be using the lowest gain possible with the pot high as desired.
Medium gain. Low gain is too low, even for a pair of IEM.

so please tell because i'm new to this hobby and i would like to know if the M1s is worth ditching the extras as opposed to the Cayin n3? also i noticed that most people who receommend this DAP have a whole load of DAPs that they own in their page so is this a complimentary DAP or can it stand alone for a good 5 years? i must say when i demo'ed it against he fiio x5 iii i couldn't really tell the difference...to me at least...
IMO you shouldn't really be told to. Try them, and choose which one you like the most. For me, a good DAP needs to have a good SQ, build quality, and responsiveness (boot time, and UI operability). A good SQ is subjective and depends on each listeners. Whether if this DAP is complementary or not isn't very relevant if it has all the qualities, and you feel content with it. The X5III is darker, less transparent, and has smaller stage in my experience.

About the glare, I think it's highly possible to be influenced by the earphone or music file. As I have no experience with excessive brightness with M1s. The opposite in fact, I wish the M1s would be a bit brighter due to the sound character of my IEM.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,532 of 1,991
With all do respect I don't hear any "Sabre glare" in the M1s and have never done so in any Sabre device so ymmw. In my experience it's a myth, maybe from some early chip or maybe never, things have a tendency to be taken as truth in this hobby just because some people keep repeating them.

The only one I can remember bringing it up in this thread is you......

Not everyone agree with the "glare" on the treble of this DAP as we have different tolerances or perception of sound. For me, I don't find the highs to be that bright or harsh at all. Maybe it has to do with the gears that you used, @Ver JJ.

This mirrors my experience with it as well.

My deepest apology if I had involved unnecessary individuals to my personal opinion.... however I will still keep my opinion towards the sound of Aune m1s, just to make it clearer, I was trying to compare it to my another portable rig (Sony NWZ-A15, Fiio A1).... which sound to me a little on the darker side. Hopefully this clears things out as I hate to start an argument.(Sound is subjective)

And here I was thinking how glad I was someone finally mentioned the Sabre glare.

Guess it must just be you (and me), @Ver JJ. :ok_hand:

Well I think three or four of us did mentioned it....maybe...... hopefully my memory is working properly.

yeah can do atm i'm not sure when i'll be heading down that way but will pm when i do...

Cool, hope to see you soon.

Jul 2, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #1,536 of 1,991
Aune DAPs are so pure, they can't even dare to delete a file from the UI :D

Medium gain. Low gain is too low, even for a pair of IEM.

IMO you shouldn't really be told to. Try them, and choose which one you like the most. For me, a good DAP needs to have a good SQ, build quality, and responsiveness (boot time, and UI operability). A good SQ is subjective and depends on each listeners. Whether if this DAP is complementary or not isn't very relevant if it has all the qualities, and you feel content with it. The X5III is darker, less transparent, and has smaller stage in my experience.

About the glare, I think it's highly possible to be influenced by the earphone or music file. As I have no experience with excessive brightness with M1s. The opposite in fact, I wish the M1s would be a bit brighter due to the sound character of my IEM.
well you're absolutely right... i did prefer the m1s to the cayin n3 and the balance out is amazing...atm i order the n3 but they currently do not have stock so awaiting shipment atm...i'm still unsure whether i wan to change my order and get the m1s instead...

Jul 2, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #1,537 of 1,991
M1s is obviously better if you are going balanced. Want something quick with big buttons you can navigate blind and fast.
If you need Bluetooth and all the little extras (EQ, tag browsing, etc). More power (better suitable for earbuds maybe, high impedance one) N3 fits you more.
Tactile and haptic button seems to be annoying thought.

On my side. I am more inclined to go for m1s. It's a dap that is so simple and transparent, you forgot about it and only think about sound when you use it. It's total "Zen"~~ and what an audio player should be in this era of over abundance of stimuli and information.
Of course that is just my opinion.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #1,538 of 1,991
@Ver JJ ok first off i have to apologise bro because i went into star picker today and it was a sudden thing and didn't inform you...now here's what happened...so i spent another 3 hours today trying out the m1s and n3 and my impressions are as such...now most of you are saying that it sounds neutral now i'm not sure what that means exactly again i'm just an average joe with a budget but to me single ended while rich in detail and the instrument position(some of the samples were symphony pieces) ie cello sound moving up and down was amazing but i felt the overall single ended to sound flat...now to me flat. Now i'm not sure how to explain this but i'll try: the details are all there but it didn't impress me ( let me apologise in advance as that's just my opinion and in no way am i saying it is gospel)...but switch to balance and the m1s really really shines....i mean to me balance blows me away every time....i feel as if i'm immersed into a whole new level of detail tht single ended did not provide...but here's the thing, at present i'm on a budget and i still have to buy an sd card for my songs( whether i get the n3 or m1s, this was going to be a compulsory buy since i don't one atm), and two the cost to get balanced cables for my e40 is pretty high...now to put things into perspective, i bought my e40's on sale here in malaysia for RM 339, and the replacement balanced cable is approx RM 270 which costs almost as much as my iems....also i have to pay the diffference for the upgrade of the m1s as well so all things considered i decided to stick with the N3...i feel that for the price it sounds pretty good( to me at least) it definately can't compete with the balanced out of the m1s but on single ended it drove my iems pretty well on low gain but the m1s could drive it similarly on middle so i think possibly the n3 is more powerful...but the main kicker was the added features of bluetooth, ability to use the DAP as a usb DAC and duplex bluetooth is a real treat so for these reasons alone i will be sticking with the n3 but if budget wasn't an issue then yea the m1s and balanced cable for my e40 all day long..for those of you who are still using single ended on the m1s pls fo me a favour and switch to balance...you won't regret it....my only hope is i can own the m1s with some balanced iems in the near future cause i wouldn't want to listen to them any other way...thanks to everyone who helped i appreciate it : ) on a separate note i was really really surprised at how clear the technica's e40s are..i'm sue they;re not the greatest but for the price it was stunned..it goes to show with the right source and equipment everything can shine...impressive...oh btw the shop loaned me a pair of balanced iems i can't remember the name they were supposedly custom made and tuned to hifi..he told the name but i forgot ogc or opq or something like that lol should have taken a pic...oh one more thing i know this is not directly related but what sd cards are you guys using?? as in does the speeds have to be super fast or can i opt for bigger storage with the lower speed? thanks again - Julian-

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #1,539 of 1,991
I'm using low and my volume ranges from 56 - 80 in usage.
That's a wide range! Try medium gain, volume 60 (more, or less). Be careful with the low-to-high gain switch, pause the music first if you don't want to bleed. :D

oh one more thing i know this is not directly related but what sd cards are you guys using?? as in does the speeds have to be super fast or can i opt for bigger storage with the lower speed? thanks again - Julian-
SanDisk Ultra. I'm pretty sure you can, it doesn't have to be super fast.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #1,541 of 1,991
@Ver JJ ok first off i have to apologise bro because i went into star picker today and it was a sudden thing and didn't inform you...now here's what happened...so i spent another 3 hours today trying out the m1s and n3 and my impressions are as such...now most of you are saying that it sounds neutral now i'm not sure what that means exactly again i'm just an average joe with a budget but to me single ended while rich in detail and the instrument position(some of the samples were symphony pieces) ie cello sound moving up and down was amazing but i felt the overall single ended to sound flat...now to me flat. Now i'm not sure how to explain this but i'll try: the details are all there but it didn't impress me ( let me apologise in advance as that's just my opinion and in no way am i saying it is gospel)...but switch to balance and the m1s really really shines....i mean to me balance blows me away every time....i feel as if i'm immersed into a whole new level of detail tht single ended did not provide...but here's the thing, at present i'm on a budget and i still have to buy an sd card for my songs( whether i get the n3 or m1s, this was going to be a compulsory buy since i don't one atm), and two the cost to get balanced cables for my e40 is pretty high...now to put things into perspective, i bought my e40's on sale here in malaysia for RM 339, and the replacement balanced cable is approx RM 270 which costs almost as much as my iems....also i have to pay the diffference for the upgrade of the m1s as well so all things considered i decided to stick with the N3...i feel that for the price it sounds pretty good( to me at least) it definately can't compete with the balanced out of the m1s but on single ended it drove my iems pretty well on low gain but the m1s could drive it similarly on middle so i think possibly the n3 is more powerful...but the main kicker was the added features of bluetooth, ability to use the DAP as a usb DAC and duplex bluetooth is a real treat so for these reasons alone i will be sticking with the n3 but if budget wasn't an issue then yea the m1s and balanced cable for my e40 all day long..for those of you who are still using single ended on the m1s pls fo me a favour and switch to balance...you won't regret it....my only hope is i can own the m1s with some balanced iems in the near future cause i wouldn't want to listen to them any other way...thanks to everyone who helped i appreciate it : ) on a separate note i was really really surprised at how clear the technica's e40s are..i'm sue they;re not the greatest but for the price it was stunned..it goes to show with the right source and equipment everything can shine...impressive...oh btw the shop loaned me a pair of balanced iems i can't remember the name they were supposedly custom made and tuned to hifi..he told the name but i forgot ogc or opq or something like that lol should have taken a pic...oh one more thing i know this is not directly related but what sd cards are you guys using?? as in does the speeds have to be super fast or can i opt for bigger storage with the lower speed? thanks again - Julian-
ok after browsing their site for iems, the balanced unit quite definately could have been a qdc...not sure which model tho

Jul 2, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,543 of 1,991
That's a wide range! Try medium gain, volume 60 (more, or less). Be careful with the low-to-high gain switch, pause the music first if you don't want to bleed. :D

SanDisk Ultra. I'm pretty sure you can, it doesn't have to be super fast.
Ouchies yeah. Definitely am keeping it medium. None of my iems are sensitive! Until I get better ones.

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,544 of 1,991
I didn't mean use low gain, I meant that technically speaking you should be using the lowest gain possible and get the pot to the desired volume.
Use medium gain if your iem dosn't get loud enough with low gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back