Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Jun 1, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #1,366 of 1,991
I had the worst experience in listening to this DAP last night. I was listening with my Vido earbuds (SE) and I put the DAP in my loose pocket when the sound suddenly became pure white noise in the loudest possible volume there is! It's as if some wild animal scratched my brains out that I had to jump, flip my head, and end up having my heart racing and my body shaking. It was so frightening it took me a couple of minutes to calm down myself. I unplugged the earbuds, plugged it in again, and surprisingly it was still working despite the extremely loud volume. If I was wearing an in-ear that time, I would've probably end up deaf. Maybe there's some hardware issues with my unit or I don't know. From time to time I suffer from a sound cut when the DAP is handled in some ways, laid on a surface, or moved.

Just as I was convinced to purchase this DAP I hear about this. I've had similar issues with other devices and with my anxiety issues I really don't think I can buy this DAP until this issue is addressed by Aune. I don't want to constantly have to worry about having the crap scared out of me while enjoying music.

As soon as they confirm a fix I will probably pick one of these up if I'm still looking for a DAP.

Jun 1, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,367 of 1,991
It's probably a few issues in many thousands of units. That's the thing with discussion forums like this, it can make a few problems seem like a deal breaker.

On a different but similar note: I got blasted with a "sonic boom" when I messed up and put my M1s on high gain with some 8 ba's per side iems.
Loudest thing I've ever heard and I'm surprised those iems can go that loud without distortion and surprised I can still hear.

I mentioned this before in this thread and here goes again...

@Aune Audio it would be great if the M1s could have a setting that could be turned off and on which is a gain warning. Because I use my M1s for iems and
full size headphones i would have that setting turned on so it would warn me that it is on high gain on start up. Most would have that setting turned off if they just used iems with
their M1s.

Or another idea is to have an option in settings to start on medium gain on startup. That way I wouldn't get caught out starting the M1s and plugging in iems and getting blasted because
I was using full size headphones on high gain last time I was using it.

The balanced output on high gain at near max volume with an iem jammed up your ear canal is loud enough to totally deafen someones ass.
So the option of some kind of gain and lineout protection would be nice.

Any reason the gain settings are Low - high - middle?
Shouldn't it be Low - middle - high?

If it did do this I wouldn't have blasted my ears that time.

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #1,368 of 1,991
Just as I was convinced to purchase this DAP I hear about this. I've had similar issues with other devices and with my anxiety issues I really don't think I can buy this DAP until this issue is addressed by Aune. I don't want to constantly have to worry about having the crap scared out of me while enjoying music.

As soon as they confirm a fix I will probably pick one of these up if I'm still looking for a DAP.

I believe my issues are there since I was one of those who got the DAP earlier. I've had this for four or five months now and that time, there were only a few who had bought. I haven't seen any new owners who reported the same issues that's why I believe that my case could be a hardware issue on earlier releases.

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #1,370 of 1,991
I have an album which is in flac 24/192 format that cannot be played on my m1s. When I start playing, the system turns laggy and it starts to loop the songs in that album without playing it. @Aune Audio

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,371 of 1,991
Guys RE600s is on sale right now but its not balanced. Is balanced on the M1s that much better that I should be only considering balanced earphones?

Jun 3, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #1,373 of 1,991
To add to what @puppyfi has said, those who are suspecting their cards can follow these steps to avoid doubting their cards.
  1. Format the card with SD formatter found here. Make sure to use overwrite option. This will confirm that your card is not corrupted.
  2. Format the card with Aune's utility here. This should make it fully compatible with Aune DAPs.
  3. Copy some test files that produced stutter and see if it persist.
  4. Copy some files that were not stuttering and see if they produce any stutter.
if still stutter is persistent, m1s firmware might be to blame. Please keep in mind that digital music can get corrupted between multiple copy and paste operations. So as suggested by puupyfi, you may want to re-rip some albums if the same albums/tracks produce stutter.

I just tried this. After almost 3 days of testing, stutter still occur, and in tge same tracks, is it possible that my music is corrupted? It plays well wil my dacport slim though.

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #1,374 of 1,991
i'm currently on aune m1s turkey tour and first impressions are superb! definetly a step up from hidizs ap100. detail, soundstage better. S U B B A S S is better by a mile! hidizs is no slouch on bass department but damn this thing hits hard.

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #1,376 of 1,991
I believe my issues are there since I was one of those who got the DAP earlier. I've had this for four or five months now and that time, there were only a few who had bought. I haven't seen any new owners who reported the same issues that's why I believe that my case could be a hardware issue on earlier releases.
If it really is an issue with just your unit then perhaps I can make my purchase now and just hope mine is fine. And if it is just a software issue with gain settings that can be fixed later then I imagine that Aune can fix it pretty quickly. I'll probably pick one up and keep my fingers crossed.

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,377 of 1,991
If it really is an issue with just your unit then perhaps I can make my purchase now and just hope mine is fine. And if it is just a software issue with gain settings that can be fixed later then I imagine that Aune can fix it pretty quickly. I'll probably pick one up and keep my fingers crossed.

With the quality of sound I'm getting from this DAP, I'm even willing to live with the issues for now. That's how good it is for me. Well, our preferences may vary but there's no denying that a lot of owners have high praise on this.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,379 of 1,991
I haven't had any surprising scare with Aune M1s, nor any noise/hiss in the tracks. But as an alternative, you can try looking at the Aune M2. For me I like the SQ better than M1s. A bit less bass and colour, but slightly higher tonal accuracy, more realistic IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back