Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Apr 22, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #1,111 of 1,991
Thanks for the Elaborate reply, I really do get what you're saying. and it makes a lot of sense. The sound I'm looking for is large soundstage, good detail and neutrality. I'm not a fan of overpowering bass presence, Currently, My setup is Mojo with a Shanling m1, and its exactly what I'm hoping to get. I'm looking for a DAP which can replace this, with somewhat similar sound as carrying a Transport+mojo around can become very difficult for me and I would like to shift to a single solution. Currently I'm considering Fiio X7, Fiio X5-iii, Cayin N3, and Aune m1s. I'm OK with not having android or Bluetooth and I can even handle clumsy UI, But SQ is the most important factor. If the SQ of x5-iii is on par with mojo, or close to mojo then I would go for the fiio as it has android. But I'm really intrigued by the simplicity of the Aune and Cayin and if they can deliver SQ on par with mojo I would really like to get a simpler more dedicated dap instead.

I had the Mojo and paired it with Android phones or Shanling M1. But I got rid of it despite it sounding rather musical with good PRAT; that is mainly because the Mojo is warm sounding and rather colored, in my opinion.

I received the M1s recently and really appreciated the neutral tuning of it.

If you really like the Mojo, you may or may not like Aune M1s as that depends on how much deviation from the Mojo can you take.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #1,112 of 1,991
I had the Mojo and paired it with Android phones or Shanling M1. But I got rid of it despite it sounding rather musical with good PRAT; that is mainly because the Mojo is warm sounding and rather colored, in my opinion.

I received the M1s recently and really appreciated the neutral tuning of it.

If you really like the Mojo, you may or may not like Aune M1s as that depends on how much deviation from the Mojo can you take.

I really like the mojo, and yes it does have a bit of warmth to it. but it is quite detailed and musical. I'm trying to find a DAP which can offer a relatively similar sound signature with similar power. Can you suggest anything? The other option is to Get a Poly and use Mojo itself as a DAP but again that is dependent on having a phone with you all the time, and I was hoping to spend that $600 into something which offers me an all in one solution. I think you're right, the M1s Might not be to my liking. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #1,113 of 1,991
@audioIQ, if you have tried the Hugo and like it, then you are more likely to like the M1s.  The Mojo was musical and powerful, but I find that it is quite a departure from being neutral.  

If you love the Mojo, the Poly might be your best bet to increase its versatility.  For myself, I love the M1s and its simple, responsive, and straightforward UI.  I will choose it anytime over the Mojo, especially with the price.

I hope you will find something that you like.  Happy listening!

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #1,114 of 1,991
@audioIQ, if you have tried the Hugo and like it, then you are more likely to like the M1s.  The Mojo was musical and powerful, but I find that it is quite a departure from being neutral.  

If you love the Mojo, the Poly might be your best bet to increase its versatility.  For myself, I love the M1s and its simple, responsive, and straightforward UI.  I will choose it anytime over the Mojo, especially with the price.

I hope you will find something that you like.  Happy listening!

Alright. Thanks alot for your insight. I really appreciate it!

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #1,115 of 1,991
I own Mojo and agree that it is on the warm, smooth side but with good detail retrieval. A very musical, natural sound. Having heard both, I think this is where the Mojo vs X5 v3 comparisons come in. X5 v3 has a warm, smooth sound, but (and this is a big but) Mojo has much better detail retrieval and sense of space / imaging in my opinion. So while there are some similarities, I find Mojo to be a much more enjoyable listen. I don't think X5 v3 is where you want to go.

M1s is pretty darn neutral / reference sound, especially out of balanced out. You're not going to get the same experience as Mojo with M1s by any stretch of the imagination. They're just too different.

Out of all these, I think N3 is the closest you'll get to Mojo type sound but it isn't really Mojo type sound. It's not as warm and smooth as Mojo.

If you're looking to replace Mojo with a simple DAP, I'd suggest looking further up the Aune food chain at something like M2 Pro. Or if you're using dynamic driver ear/headphones, you could look at Soundaware M1 Pro. Another option might be Revamp Acoustics Nuansa P1 screenless DAP with multi-bit DAC, but I haven't gotten that in for testing yet.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,118 of 1,991
I own Mojo and agree that it is on the warm, smooth side but with good detail retrieval. A very musical, natural sound. Having heard both, I think this is where the Mojo vs X5 v3 comparisons come in. X5 v3 has a warm, smooth sound, but (and this is a big but) Mojo has much better detail retrieval and sense of space / imaging in my opinion. So while there are some similarities, I find Mojo to be a much more enjoyable listen. I don't think X5 v3 is where you want to go.

M1s is pretty darn neutral / reference sound, especially out of balanced out. You're not going to get the same experience as Mojo with M1s by any stretch of the imagination. They're just too different.

Out of all these, I think N3 is the closest you'll get to Mojo type sound but it isn't really Mojo type sound. It's not as warm and smooth as Mojo.

If you're looking to replace Mojo with a simple DAP, I'd suggest looking further up the Aune food chain at something like M2 Pro. Or if you're using dynamic driver ear/headphones, you could look at Soundaware M1 Pro. Another option might be Revamp Acoustics Nuansa P1 screenless DAP with multi-bit DAC, but I haven't gotten that in for testing yet.

I will look into Soundaware M1 Pro and Revamp Nuansa P1. Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it!

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,121 of 1,991
Format your tf card to Fat32 with 64kb allocation size. I experienced stuttering on some songs before, but after this advice from a friend who is also an m1s user, I didn't experienced stuttering now.

Thanks @jeffisflyboy.

I was having issues with my freshly-formatted SanDisk 100 GB card (FAT32 but not 64KB allocation size, with Aune's FAT32 formatter software on their website), where some folders (containing both PCM and DSD) were not detected and read by the Aune M1s.   I found this post, and reformatted the card to FAT32 with 64KB allocation size and that solved everything. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,123 of 1,991
I have got a problem with playing classical music files on the m1s. Most of the filenames are too long, and I have got to change them almost always. AUNE: Is there no possibilitily to play log filenames? Please repair this problem in the new firmware update!
Thanks!

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #1,125 of 1,991
I have got a problem with playing classical music files on the m1s. Most of the filenames are too long, and I have got to change them almost always. AUNE: Is there no possibilitily to play log filenames? Please repair this problem in the new firmware update!
Thanks!

Fun-tastic synergy with iBasso IT03 on balanced out.

How does it sound? Isn't it sibilant or hot sounding at treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back