Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Jan 28, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #676 of 1,991
Compared to X5 its balanced out is cooler, cleaner, airier, bass tighter and the soundstage of the M1S dosnt do anything strange.
Like how sometimes the X5 sounds like you are in a hallway .

Thanks for the response. You said balanced out, so you meant the 2.5mm output, right? Does the M1s have a normal 3.5mm headphone out? Does the sound quality differ? Can it drive something like the HD598 without an external amp?

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #677 of 1,991
Thanks for the response. You said balanced out, so you meant the 2.5mm output, right? Does the M1s have a normal 3.5mm headphone out? Does the sound quality differ? Can it drive something like the HD598 without an external amp?

Yes, it has a single ended 3.5 mm output in addition to the balanced 2.5mm one. The balanced output is noticeable better to my ears.

It should drive the HD598 without any problems. I'm not at home now so can't test it out until Tuesday but I'm sure that it has enough power.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #678 of 1,991

I just tested the balanced vs SE on my M1s and the difference is noticeable.  I used a FiiO L26 balanced to unbalanced adapter.  There's much better clarity and soundstage when using balanced.  I'll try to observe more when I get home.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #679 of 1,991
Well the lack of gapless is kind of a drag and something to think about but not having the folder jump feature is fine for me because I want the music to stop at the end of the folder as I listen pretty much exclusively to albums.

Yes, I'm an album listener, too. So not having the cost jump feature doesn't bother me a bit, either. Just wanted to mention it since I don't recall anyone mentioning it yet.

Regarding the balanced out discussion, I jumped back and forth between the single-ended at balanced outputs with my Campfire Nova with balanced cable and adapter and left some brief impressions earlier. The difference is noticeable, and with M1s of suggest going balanced if you can. Good stuff!

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #680 of 1,991
Yes, it has a single ended 3.5 mm output in addition to the balanced 2.5mm one. The balanced output is noticeable better to my ears.

It should drive the HD598 without any problems. I'm not at home now so can't test it out until Tuesday but I'm sure that it has enough power.

I just tested the balanced vs SE on my M1s and the difference is noticeable.  I used a FiiO L26 balanced to unbalanced adapter.  There's much better clarity and soundstage when using balanced.  I'll try to observe more when I get home.

Yes, I'm an album listener, too. So not having the cost jump feature doesn't bother me a bit, either. Just wanted to mention it since I don't recall anyone mentioning it yet.

Regarding the balanced out discussion, I jumped back and forth between the single-ended at balanced outputs with my Campfire Nova with balanced cable and adapter and left some brief impressions earlier. The difference is noticeable, and with M1s of suggest going balanced if you can. Good stuff!

Thanks guys. I don't know much about about 2.5mm output, how can I use that with headphones I own like HD598 and 1more E1001? Do I use an adapter? Would that lessen the audio quality and defeats the purpose of going balanced? Or the 2.5mm is intended to use with an amp and not with headphones directly?

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #681 of 1,991
Thanks guys. I don't know much about about 2.5mm output, how can I use that with headphones I own like HD598 and 1more E1001? Do I use an adapter? Would that lessen the audio quality and defeats the purpose of going balanced? Or the 2.5mm is intended to use with an amp and not with headphones directly?

You need a balanced cable with 2.5mm plug. If you don't have a balanced cable, you're out of luck.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #682 of 1,991
Hi, Can anyone here explain the filters to me?  There is FAST (balance) MP (analog) SLOW (soft).  What is the filter section actually doing in each one of these modes? and why isn't there an option for NONE?  Where in the chain of electronics is this filter being implemented and how is it being implemented?  What does MP stand for?

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #683 of 1,991

Just got my silicone case. It indeed makes the buttons on the case very tight and clicky. Lovely!

I've also felt that the balanced output is much better than the single ended!

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #684 of 1,991
  Hi, Can anyone here explain the filters to me?  There is FAST (balance) MP (analog) SLOW (soft).  What is the filter section actually doing in each one of these modes? and why isn't there an option for NONE?  Where in the chain of electronics is this filter being implemented and how is it being implemented?  What does MP stand for?

I'm still trying to figure that out myself. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #685 of 1,991

I'm still trying to figure that out myself. 

haha.  Thanks for not making me feel alone on that one.  I'm actually very interested in knowing this part of the sound equation.  M1s doesn't sound like any implementation of the Sabre chips that I have heard in a DAP or DAC.  I think, if anything, it's missing some "realism" that I am used to from them.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #686 of 1,991
personally i find the output power a bit low driving 32 ohms earphones, 70 steps in volume setting and at high gain. Do you guys have similiar issue ? Would there be a new portable(with balanced ouput) amplifier cominh ? Hehehe.

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #687 of 1,991
How does Aune M1s compare to Sony NWA-35? Im loving the UI and the album art feature aside from its SQ. Im willing to let the UI and album art feature go if SQ difference is significant enough. Thanks!

Will be pairing it with Oriveti Basic.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #689 of 1,991
How does Aune M1s compare to Sony NWA-35? Im loving the UI and the album art feature aside from its SQ. Im willing to let the UI and album art feature go if SQ difference is significant enough. Thanks!

Will be pairing it with Oriveti Basic.

I haven't heard both, but it would be nice to know what sound signature you're looking for in a DAP, so people can better answer your question.

M1s > A35 .. soundwise.

Maybe you could elaborate just a little? Hmm?

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #690 of 1,991

haha.  Thanks for not making me feel alone on that one.  I'm actually very interested in knowing this part of the sound equation.  M1s doesn't sound like any implementation of the Sabre chips that I have heard in a DAP or DAC.  I think, if anything, it's missing some "realism" that I am used to from them.

"Realism", I find my M1s does not add warmth to the sound. Slightly cool but not cold sounding. No added warmth means no extra body to the sound which could be realism. I wouldn't call it thin sounding. Also it does not do funny things to the sound stage, like artificially widening etc. What it does is render textures and micro details beautifully and really shines with DSD files.. Add that to no hiss or other clicks or pops to the sound and you have a very solid DAP.  It is a purchase I have not regretted for a second. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back