Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #1,593 of 1,991
Guys. Need help. I have a few earbuds that are single ended and I want to use it on balanced. Is it safe to use a 3.5mm male to 2.5mm trrs female adaptor cable? TIA!

You will need to reterminate the earbuds themself. Issue is with TRS both R- and L- are connected to ground. Usually those adapters are for going from 3.5 TRRS not TRS. Even if you find an adapter going from 3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRRS the signal will still be SE not balanced.

If you reterminate the earbuds to 2.5mm TRRS AK style. You can either make a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS or pick one up from Venture Electronics.

Long story short is you can go TRRS to TRS but not the other way around.

Hope this helps and that I didn't confuse you more.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #1,594 of 1,991
I also used the VE 2.5 BAL female to 3.5-mm male converter (red one), and had no issue. Quality is great, and there seems to be no apparent loss in signal quality to my earbud. So IMO, it's a good idea to reterminate your cable to 2.5 BAL. Because that way, you can enjoy both mode quite well and satisfyingly using a converter. :)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #1,595 of 1,991
I also used the VE 2.5 BAL female to 3.5-mm male converter (red one), and had no issue. Quality is great, and there seems to be no apparent loss in signal quality to my earbud. So IMO, it's a good idea to reterminate your cable to 2.5 BAL. Because that way, you can enjoy both mode quite well and satisfyingly using a converter. :)

0_044d2311-31e8-4161-b9dd-5af207f0cc14_720_405.jpg

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #1,598 of 1,991
@JaeYoon In your opinion, which is better aune m1s or x5 3rd gen? Sq wise.
I honestly love both. I will tell you why.
X5III has a smooth but intimate presentation slighty warm. Just north of neutral. Soundstaging and such is excellent enough for me.

Plugging into Aune M1S. I do feel have a fuller sound. But its a different sound signature from x5iii. I do applaud Aune for this at this price point.

Everything is excellent across the board.

But Fiio X5III provides me a longer listening sessions and I love it's presentation.

Non-Sound wise it's album artwork (I know thats superficial) I also love volume wheels soooz.

I kind of don't want to say it. But Aune M1S is sound technically a overall bit better across board from X5III. The darker background is a help.

But I still enjoy X5III more often. Just take Aune M1S with me to gym and on walks.

Another downside of x5iii. Is if you have audio hobby friends. They will always challenge the X5III in everyway. Their opus 1 and 3 or Dx200 etc. But they dont really care when I have aune out and just ask me what that "thing" is like. Thats just a minor inconvenience for x5iii.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,599 of 1,991
I honestly love both. I will tell you why.
X5III has a smooth but intimate presentation slighty warm. Just north of neutral. Soundstaging and such is excellent enough for me.

Plugging into Aune M1S. I do feel have a fuller sound. But its a different sound signature from x5iii. I do applaud Aune for this at this price point.

Everything is excellent across the board.

But Fiio X5III provides me a longer listening sessions and I love it's presentation.

Non-Sound wise it's album artwork (I know thats superficial) I also love volume wheels soooz.

I kind of don't want to say it. But Aune M1S is sound technically a overall bit better across board from X5III. The darker background is a help.

But I still enjoy X5III more often. Just take Aune M1S with me to gym and on walks.

Another downside of x5iii. Is if you have audio hobby friends. They will always challenge the X5III in everyway. Their opus 1 and 3 or Dx200 etc. But they dont really care when I have aune out and just ask me what that "thing" is like. Thats just a minor inconvenience for x5iii.

I'm planning to sell my aune m1s and upgrade to x5 3g. lol, I guess I'll just keep the m1s and just buy the x5 3g so that I can choose one depends on the mood. Thanks!

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #1,600 of 1,991
I'm planning to sell my aune m1s and upgrade to x5 3g. lol, I guess I'll just keep the m1s and just buy the x5 3g so that I can choose one depends on the mood. Thanks!
Yeah if you can. Get both! I plan to use Aune M1S when I want to hear what a balanced output sounds like.

But still love x5iii cause it pairs well with my lyra. Soz. Plus bluetooth and wifi can be handy

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #1,602 of 1,991
Yeah if you can. Get both! I plan to use Aune M1S when I want to hear what a balanced output sounds like.

But still love x5iii cause it pairs well with my lyra. Soz. Plus bluetooth and wifi can be handy

I want those features. I'll just enjoy my m1s for now, and get the x5iii this holiday season or next year. Just ordered the flc8s, and I need to save again if I want to upgrade. x5iii or pioneer xdp 300r is what on my mind right now. lol

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,603 of 1,991
I want those features. I'll just enjoy my m1s for now, and get the x5iii this holiday season or next year. Just ordered the flc8s, and I need to save again if I want to upgrade. x5iii or pioneer xdp 300r is what on my mind right now. lol
Those are good choices!
If you are extreme you can go for Shozy Alien+ but if that thing explodes. You have wrath of a billion capacitors exploding.

Or Cayin i5. But honestly x5iii works well with bluetooth and wifi. Cayin i5 is still buggy. So idk....

There is metal opus 1. You got a lot choices this holiday season to compliment your Aune.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #1,605 of 1,991
Another question @JaeYoon, balanced output aune m1s vs x5iii?
Aune 1000%.

FiiO had a perfect chance. But think of it as opposite of DP X1. The SE is way better than balanced.
More power in SE and balanced in x5iii is less MW on each side. Dunno what fiio was planning on their implementation. But I definitely do not want Campfire audio to reterminate those cables to find out :/

Pretty much SE more powerful than in Bal output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back