Aune B1 Impressions thread
Jul 26, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #106 of 315
  I have a quick question about the B1 amp. I was reading online about the two main issues, the high output impedence and low output power. Does anyone know if that has been addressed with Revision B? 

@hakushondaimao  Any info on this bud?

The message I got from Aune after I posted my review was:

"We had already upgrade our B1 :
1) All our B1 support  section 4 headphone output now 
2)For next stock  , we will reduce the output level of low gain gear , reduce from 2.5VRMS to 1.8RMS , it will adaprt to more wide range of headphone , High gain does not change , the output is 6.5VRMS"

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #108 of 315
I have to say even after a short period of ownership I am mightily impressed with the B1. 
I am putting it up there with the:
Fostex HP V1,
Fanmusic BL 2 ( a well kept secret but wonderful),
Vorzuge Pure II +

I love the "body" it gives to my ZX2 and Cowon P1 through to my Laylas.
Absolutely no hiss and bags of power. A little warm for sure but I like that in an amp.
What value for 144 pounds.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #109 of 315
  I have to say even after a short period of ownership I am mightily impressed with the B1. 
I am putting it up there with the:
Fostex HP V1,
Fanmusic BL 2 ( a well kept secret but wonderful),
Vorzuge Pure II +

I love the "body" it gives to my ZX2 and Cowon P1 through to my Laylas.
Absolutely no hiss and bags of power. A little warm for sure but I like that in an amp.
What value for 144 pounds.

how does it compare to the Pure 2+?

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #111 of 315
  I have one, for me, it's not good as the Fiio E12a.

The B1 is a bit awkwardly positioned.  You can see my review here in the forum.  As I noted, as have others, the high output impedance should be a concern for most users that aren't using Beyer or Senn Hi-Z phones.  The output power, compared to the E12 is lacking and takes a number of phones off the list that you would want to use with it.
Sound quality is very good though for a portable amp - if you have the right phones.  At a third more in cost vs the E12, it really doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  If my budget was around US$200, I wouldn't have the B1 on my short list.  For me the B1 is an interesting gadget - not my only amp.  But value-wise, I'll agree that the E12 is the winner.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #112 of 315
The B1 is a bit awkwardly positioned.  You can see my review here in the forum.  As I noted, as have others, the high output impedance should be a concern for most users that aren't using Beyer or Senn Hi-Z phones.  The output power, compared to the E12 is lacking and takes a number of phones off the list that you would want to use with it.
Sound quality is very good though for a portable amp - if you have the right phones.  At a third more in cost vs the E12, it really doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  If my budget was around US$200, I wouldn't have the B1 on my short list.  For me the B1 is an interesting gadget - not my only amp.  But value-wise, I'll agree that the E12 is the winner.

I use the B1 with my Layla's and I think it trounces the Fiio.
I place it up there with amps costing 400 pounds plus. Whereas the Fiio has limited soundstage though much better battery life.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #113 of 315

My understanding from Aune is that the Rev-B version has reduced low-end output for better IEM matching. Do you know which version you reviewed? I know I had a Rev-A for my review, and would be very interested in hearing a later model for comparison.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #115 of 315
My understanding from Aune is that the Rev-B version has reduced low-end output for better IEM matching. Do you know which version you reviewed? I know I had a Rev-A for my review, and would be very interested in hearing a later model for comparison.

That's interesting and possible why I rate mine so highly with my Layla's. Serial number is 3356.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #117 of 315
  My review on Head-Fi is done, blog review to follow shortly (with some minor variations and extra pics). Here's the local version: http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-b1/reviews/13262

Your review may confuse some people, the switch labeled 'Class A' isn't actually for turning Class A on or off. B1 is always operating in Class A, the switch only changes the static current consumption of B1. In the "-" position B1 is using 20mW of current, in the "+" position B1 is using 40mW of current, so essentially you can double or half battery life with that switch, but for best sound quality the 40mW mode is recommended.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #118 of 315
Your review may confuse some people, the switch labeled 'Class A' isn't actually for turning Class A on or off. B1 is always operating in Class A, the switch only changes the static current consumption of B1. In the "-" position B1 is using 20mW of current, in the "+" position B1 is using 40mW of current, so essentially you can double or half battery life with that switch, but for best sound quality the 40mW mode is recommended.

I find with the Layla's that the 20mw and also low gain sound best.

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #119 of 315

If you had rev A and your serial number is 5246, then we all have rev A, my serial is 2212.  The way to know what rev you have is to look at pcb rev number, under the middle of the window divider it says your pcb rev, if you tilt your B1 you can read it, mine says 'B1 V1.0 2014.9' so pretty much guaranteed to be rev A as it is dated September 2014 with a pcb rev of 1.0. And to add to that, my local shop only just received stock of B1 a few days ago, which is the one I bought, so Aune didn't send out rev B's, they probably still have rev A's to clear out. But nonetheless B1 sounds great, so I can't complain to much.

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #120 of 315
Better late than never:

Aune B1
If you’ve ever wondered how a Class A, discrete amp would sound with your portable music rig, Aune has given you the chance with the B1.
While I’m not going to go into the details of Class A nor comparisons to other amp types (Class AB, Class D), Class A is considered the best by many. I’ve found amps in all topologies that are so good that you’d never consider or care what type they are, so I don’t necessarily prefer one type over another. The design and components are what matters most.

Specifications:
  1. Frequency range: 10 Hz – 20 KHz ± 0,15 dB
  2. THD+N: <0,0008% @ 1 KHz, 600Ω
  3. Signal/noise ratio: >124 dB @ 600Ω
  4. Channel separation: > 110 дБ @ 1 КГц, 600Ω
  5. Output power: 25 mW @ 16Ω, 50 mW @ 32Ω, 100 mW @ 300Ω
  6. Headphone impedance: 16Ω — 300Ω
  7. Battery: 4000 mA/h
  8. Life time: 10 hours for 20 mA, 5 hours for 40 mA
  9. Size: 65 mm × 110 mm × 18 mm
  10. Weight: 230 g

Build Quality: 
  1. Quality Aluminum Chassis
  2. Unique window design showcasing internals
  3. Stylish Faux Leather
  4. Confusing switch placement

The B1 is a somewhat hefty amp to carry around, about the size of a smartphone lengthwise, and about 3-4 phones wide in girth. While it may be a bit wieldy to carry around, the actual quality of the device is high. The aluminum chassis and clear window casing showing the internals of the device provides a sleek look with a sturdy feel. The faux leather along the chassis also fits the design quite well without taking away from the overall appeal.
The switches and volume knobs did take away from the build though. I found the gain switch and volume knob placement to feel unnatural when I went to adjust them. It was nothing too distracting, but I’ve also used many amps that felt much better (Fiio and Cayin come to mind).
Battery life is not the greatest. The Class A design really eats up the battery, with 5-10 hours being the norm depending on your gain setting.

Sound Quality:
  1. Good but not great power overall.
  2. Slight bass tilt, 40mA mode better
  3. Neutral sound

The B1 has plenty of power for most applications, and it excels at powering high impedance headphones. I ended up finding out that low impedance multi driver earphones do not do well with the B1 however (Havi B3). My smartphone drove the B3 at the same power level (even in high gain), which is not something I want in a $200+ amp. Every other IEM and headphone sounded stellar however. The O2 amplifier comes to mind with the overall neutral aspect of the sound.
Compared to my Geek Out 1000 V1, I found the GO1000 to be slightly more engaging and more powerful, with a slight edge in soundstage. Treble was enhanced over the B1, but I found the B1 more pleasing.

Conclusion:
There is a lot to like about the B1. I would very much recommend it as a portable amp for a high impedance headphone. For a portable IEM solution, I find that there are better dac/amp combo options available at similar pricing.
As a fan of Aune and their past products, I applaud their effort in making a unique amp that can satisfy a lot of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back