Audze LCD3, Senn 800's or Grado PS 1000's please advise
Aug 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wildings

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am a novice and live in a very remote area so it is not possible for me to audition any headphones.  I realize there is much posted opinion on all of these headphones...in fact it is almost overwhelming and I find it difficult to make a choice. I have been using Grado RS 1's for many years and now wish to upgrade with the objective of a more three dimensional soundstage...more sound in the "middle", good separation of instruments, and adequate bass. I listen to a wide vairiety of music. My audio stream is computer/JRiver Audio - $150 usb - V-Link 192 by Musical Fidelity - Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - Little Dot MK IV SE - Grado RS 1's.
I lean towards the Grado's because I have found the RS 1's pleasing, and the build quality seem sturdy.....but the 800's seem highly regarded, as are the Audze LCD3's with 'newer technology'(?).  I am concerned my headphone amp is not good enough for the 800's? Postings mention them as being very particular in that regard.
I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 13
You might want to ask the guys at Summit-Fi, they're more experienced with the ultra high end gear.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 13
If you don't plan on changing your source equipment, I'd go with the Grado.
The HD800 is VERY picky on what amp is running it.
The LCD3 requires a powerful amp to get the most out of it.

Also the three are very different, so it depends on your needs/wants and musical tastes.
The LCD3 is a lot heavier than the other two for example.
The Grado is technologically the least 'advanced'. 
The HD800 is ridiculously ugly... 
biggrin.gif
... you get the idea.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 13
Take a look at the following charts.  These represent the frequency response for the headphones in question.  If you are going for something that has actually been objectively measured rather than pure opinion than the graphs are the way to go.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4061&graphID[]=3431&graphID[]=2151&scale=30

The LCD-3 is by far the most neutral seen as a very level line from 1Hz up to 1kHz.  The Grados roll off badly in the bass and have some seriously ear-piercing treble.  The HD800 is more open sounding and thus gives better resolving power according to some.  I cannot find resolution charts, but many people including Tyll over at Innerfidelity say time and time again that the HD800 is king in the resolution department.

Here are some more charts showing Harmonic Distortion:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=4061&graphID[]=3431&graphID[]=2151&scale=30

See how the Grados have higher peaks?  This means it will distort more easily than the other two headphones.

Go through the other graphs such as the 500Hz and 50Hz square wave response and decide which one represents the original square wave the closest.  It is quite clear that the Grado is not that good of a headphone.  It might be an enjoyable headphone to listen to, but I imagine if you give a blind listening test between the PS1000 and even the SR-80i it is going to be pretty hard to tell which is which if the pads and gear are the same.

Another great headphone to consider is the HE-500.  It costs less than all of the others listed and measures and sounds just about as good.  It is lighter than the LCD-3 which is one reason I suggest it.

The HD800 can sound a tad bright and lifeless from certain amps, but I think this is because those amps bring out the true nature of the headphone.  It is simply a very neutral and resolving headphone so your music may not sound as rich and full as it would with a more fun sounding headphone.

If it were me I would go with the LCD-3, but both the LCD-2 Bamboo and HE-500 are great lower cost options that sound just about the same as the LCD-3.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 13
Thank you for your most helpful analysis and advice.    After some further research, I decided on the LCD 3's and listed my Grado RS 1's on e-bay - they sold in 20 minutes for my asking price of $385!   Then to my surprise, after extensive web searching, I discovered everyone I checked  was sold out, and had back orders extending out for several weeks.  Was pleased to locate a set at The Cable Company (New Hope, Pa.) and appreciated the gracious help of their associate Ethan....who shipped them today, so should be set by Saturday.  I learned a lot in the process, and am really looking forward to the new audio experience (while my wallett experiences the dry heaves). Best to all from northern  NH. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 13
i was gonna recommend LCD-3 as well! great choice!!!!

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 13
"Holy ****!!!!"   Just recieved, time for quick listen before work.  Have owned a couple of fine things over the course of my life, things that stood out in their class of objects as being superlative....these are certainly in that category.
Now, quick question.  With the Little Dot MK IVSE at the factory setting
d)Switch 1 on Switch 2 on: Gain 3  Low impedence or high sensitivity.....I only need to turn main gain control up 1/3 way for max volume I need.
other possible settings:
a)switch 1 off Switch 2 off: Gain 10  High impedence or low sensitivity
b)switch 1 on switch 2 off: Gain of 5   Medium impedance or medium sensitivity
c)switch 1 off Switch 2 on  Gain of 4 Medium impedence or medium sensitivity

an advisor said I should be using setting "a" if I am using the 1/4 headphone jack because of impedence.  I dont understand the concept, so would appreciate advice.  Sound great as they are, plenty of volume.

Thank you for steering me in the right direction.  Wish I didnt have to do a 12 hour shift and could get some listening in.  Best to all - Its a great day in the mountains of NH today!

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 13
As long as you are not getting distortion and the volume is loud enough the setting really does not matter.  It you notice some distortion that you think should not be there try another gain setting.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 13
Thank you. Sounds great just as it is. As I seem to have plenty of power/volume at a modest gain setting, would there be any reason to upgrade to the MK VIII? A sales rep tried to convince me I needed a Burson Soloist, which costs about $1000. Im very pleased with current set up, but would appreciate your thoughts.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 13
If you like your setup and hear adequate bass, no distortion, and can achieve the loudness you want there may not be any reason to upgrade.  I say try your current setup for at least 6 months without upgrading anything else and if you still want more after that perhaps audition some gear side by side with your current setup to ensure that it will be an upgrade.  Taking a sales persons word for it is silly when you think about it.  They are trying to make more money and guessing what your budget may be.  Unless you really trust their opinion or have the chance to compare your gear to new gear how will you ever know if what they recommend is actually better sounding?

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 13
Thank you for the excellent advice, which I shall follow. The salesman would send me the Burson Soloist on a trial basis for a couple of weeks....fee of 5% ....applicable if I buy something else....but your 6 month suggestion is wise. 100 hour burn in time, which I will do hour or two a day.

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 13
Uh, I think I am overthinking this: re the two red 'global' gain switches that are accessed through the underneath of the MK IV SE, factory default is #'s 1&2 on.....switch #1 would be the top one, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back