AUDIOVALVE SOLARIS: a super LUMINARE ?
Sep 23, 2015 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

eric65

Headphoneus Supremus
Owner of one of the first Luminare amp (which still works very well), I look forward to the upcoming release of the last amplifier H. Becker with his Solaris, a " Super Luminare" with twice the power (for dynamics headphones) and twice the output voltage (for Stax Headphones) than the Luminare, which will lead easily the best headphones on the market, even the most difficult to drive (and also the easiest): Stax SR-009; JPS-Abyss, and of course my "chouchou," one of the best iso-dynamic headphones in the world, the Kennerton Odin (*). You'll hear talk of them yet in 20 years!

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/amplificateurs-casques-f1484/verto-luminare-solaris-des-produits-audiovalve-atypiques-t30052030-930.html

Eric

(*) http://www.head-fi.org/t/732814/new-kennerton-odin-planar-magnetic-magister-vali-headphones-cables-amps-from-fischer-at-ifa/165#post_11920162

Edit (one) : specifications update (Solaris amp)

OTL mode (Solaris amp) : Max output Voltage : up to 120 V (AC) eff (rms) (with a load of 2000 ohm ?)
gain : 32 dB
Max power : 8 Watt sinus (per channel) between 100 and 400 Ohm

Impedancer mode (32 Ohm ?) (with step down transformer ratio 6:1) (Solaris amp) : Max power : 6 Watt sinus (per chanel) with a load of 8 Ohm.
gain : 16,5 dB (32-15,5)

For the European Union (EU) : Stax mode (Solaris amp) : Max output Voltage limited to 800 V (AC) eff (rms) (2260 Vpp)
gain: 34,5 dB (with auto gain stax) + 20 dB (with step up transformer ratio 1:10) = 54,5 dB

Outside EU : Stax mode (Solaris amp) : Max output Voltage : 1 200 V (AC) eff (rms) ! (3400 Vpp !!)

link : http://www.audiovalve.info/solaris/solariseng.jpg (for the Solaris amp)
and http://www.audiovalve.info/solaris/2015%20Solaris%20deutsch.pdf (for the Solaris amp)
and http://www.audiovalve.info/to/luminare.php (for the Luminare amp)

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 24
I have listened to the Solaris extensively. While it was spectacular withe the HE-6 (for me best sound of show) and definatly better than the Luminare the prototype sill falls short of my BHSE or KGSSHv. The bandwith is still too small to take a fight with the heavyweights when you go up with the SPL (transformer mode). The sub bass was some 8dB down at 40Hz, while the rest sounded better than any stock Stax amp as I really liked the softer high end with the SR-009 (I guess this is the reason Eric loves his Luminare so much)

I had a coffee and a long conversation with Mr Becker afterwards, and we agreed that there is room for improvement. Two weeks later they announced that they will reduce the Stax transformer ratio to 1:4 thus increasing the bandwith substantially. The Voltage will thus be dropped to 470V AC max (1300Vpp) which gives some 114 dB with the 009, but with a much better extension (much more bass slam) then with the luminare and maybe even an universal amp thet can handle my 007 MK1.

And they offered me a prototype for a test when it is done.

For those who know German the discussion is here
http://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showthread.php?t=9361

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 24
Dear all,

In the meantime I’ve „up-graded myself” to become  a happy owner of a SOLARIS.

The link above in the German Forum is still very active, but I may just give a very short summary of my own experience.

I’m using the SOLARIS mainly with a STAX 009, and a Sony R-10. For the STAX it replaces an SRM 007T-2 and for the R-10 a Grace Design M903.

For a short while I also had the MALVALVE Head Amp 3, MK3. Due to a number of technical problems, (e.g. incompatibility with my NAIM system / remote control) I decided to switch to the SOLARIS.
A step I won’t regret, as the SOLARIS for my taste improves on all musical aspects for the 009 and the R-10 alike, which one would expect from a tube amp.
Needless to say, that already the MalValve bettered my previous two amps, and the SOLARIS just goes another level higher. The sound is even smoother, but at the same time more powerful (the SOLARIS has more punch) which is essential to drive the STAX.

As you know, both the MalValve  and  the Solaris are able to handle electrostatic phones, as well as all kinds of dynamic / magnetostatic models, which makes both units rather unique and an excellent proposition if you own & use a STAX and a top-class closed HP, such as the R-10.

Recently some of my colleagues come to listen to both units and all agreed, that the SOLARIS & 009 is the best they have yet heard from a head phone system.

I should add however, that some of the real “high-flyer” STAX amps are not very common here in Switzerland, so there may indeed be some even better combinations.

But for me, I trust this set-up is likely to stay for a while.... 
wink.gif

Regards

Urs

May 16, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 24
Helmut Becker contacted me and asked me if was interested in borrowing a Solaris, which is very generous considering I'm in Japan and the shipping weight is 18kg. I've owned an RKV Mark II in the past and with various things hopefully incoming for review, I thought the timing would be good.

Audiovalve_Solaris-DSCF5965_.jpg

So far, with my Yggdrasil as the source, and HE1000 V2 the sound is more "meaty" than with the Studio Six. I don't have any 'stats here, but eventually I hope to borrow a pair of 009s and have a listen.

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 24
My new Solaris (single ended connection to the MSB Diamond DAC V) is far away the best amp with my Stax SR009 and my Audeze LCD 4 (balanced connection).

I finally sold the SR009 with its SRM 727II, because I prefer the LCD 4 in OTL mode.

The Solaris is connected to the Analog outlet of the Gigawatt PC 4 Evo with a LS2 AC cable.

Sound is great, with dynamics and bass never heard before on headphone, voices and violins are gorgeous: classical music 100%.

For the first I enjoy listening to music with headphones as much as with my loudspeakers (TAD CR 1).

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 24
SOLARIS , my final SOLUTION!.

Since I started preferring listening to music via headphones (my first was HD650) my collection has grown a lot: Stax 007 mk2 (with amp 727) was long my favourite until I was impressed with HD800 greater sound stage (now exchanged for HD800S) and also got an Audeze LCD3. Now I bought the LUMINARE from Mr Becker and my phone collection was increased with Abyss, HE-1000 and LCD4 as well as Stax 009.

The LUMINARE was exchanged for the SOLARIS and Mr Becker was most helpful in making this possible. And doing business within EU is more favourable for a Swede, of course.
Now the SOLARIS is my final (hopefully) solution: Its greater muscles (8 tubes glowing beautifully) giving a large, warm and stable soundstage, smoothing the brightness of SR009 and punch enough for Abyss and LCD4. And how wonderful to switch between different headphones for classical recordings of variable qualities.
SOLARIS makes this possible in a magnificent way!

Jun 7, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 24
Has anybody got an idea how the Solaris would pair with the Susvara?
I might have the chance to buy a pair of Susvara but it's a package deal. It comes with the Solaris.
I am aware that the Susvara are difficult to drive headphones and need some "meaty" amps, so before even considering this deal any further, I need to know if the Solaris will be able to bring out the best of the Susvara?

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #13 of 24
Has anybody got an idea how the Solaris would pair with the Susvara?
I might have the chance to buy a pair of Susvara but it's a package deal. It comes with the Solaris.
I am aware that the Susvara are difficult to drive headphones and need some "meaty" amps, so before even considering this deal any further, I need to know if the Solaris will be able to bring out the best of the Susvara?

I am a very content owner of the Solaris, which drives very well my Audeze LCD-4 and Abyss 1266 CC Phi, phones which I suppose are not easier to handle than the Susvara (which I never have listened to though, only had HE-1000, now sold ).
For those phones I have my volume knob only at 9-10 o´clock in the OTL mode.
Moreover, I recently got the STAX 009S which the Solaris also drives perfectly in the Stax+gain mode,which for the same volume I turn the knob to about 13 o´clock
I have compared the Solaris directly to Stax SRM727 amp, and the Solaris makes a very good job, if not better!
Solaris has lots of Power and is a glowing Beauty to that!

Grüsse aus Schweden!

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 24
My likely end-game:
DIY server running Roon - Sonore Ultrarendu - Schiit Yggdrasil with Unison - AudioValve Solaris - Dan Clark Audio Voce

IMG_1058.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back