Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 opamp configurations list
Jan 18, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #106 of 492
oh ok, but then you need to flash it to be able to use the AudioTrak drivers, it's very easy: ÇÁ·ÎµðÁö HD2 Series

they both have pros and cons, I haven't made up my mind 100% yet I think
rolleyes.gif

the VIA do 24bit, the AudioTrak give a BSOD if I do(only 16/32 possible)...but the VIA have a pretty darn annoying bug w/ KS on XP that the AudioTrak don't have...VIA told me that this bug doesn't exist on W7
confused.gif

if you could spare me 2 mins to try, I'd really appreciate it!

LT1677 is also amazing as final buffer, it retrieves a hell lot of details in the upper spectrum like the 4562 does...but the SS sounds so much more natural.

but I'm really in love w/ the low end bass slam of the 1028A for now, really really nice chip...some of the best advices I ever got for op-amps were from Andrea, and before he changed his mind(again
biggrin.gif
) towards OPA1611(which I tried as final buffer and didn't like), the 1028/1677 were his favorites
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #107 of 492
here's my take on the hd-2, with silmic caps, eichmann rca, and blurry wima caps on the back

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #108 of 492
My friend used 2x OPA2228 in the place he formerly had been using OPA2604 and reported further improvement. The choice for the front buffer was tough for him but finally he settled with the AD8599 against AD8022. Actually, they both are very good.

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #109 of 492
hah, you went a bit over the top on the caps
biggrin.gif

I tried to add decoupling caps on the op-amps, they were increasing the low end bass slam but lowering the low end extension...so I quickly took them out.

there's already some decoupling caps stock I think(WIMA on mine, blue on yours).

I think you would gain a lot from using single op-amps on the DAC output, each time I've tried dual op-amps they where shrinking the center channel.

I'm expecting four AD8597, but so far I love my AD797B/LT1028A combo...it does everything wonderfully
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #110 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here's my take on the hd-2, with silmic caps, eichmann rca, and blurry wima caps on the back

How does this card sound with the mods?

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #111 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the VIA do 24bit, the AudioTrak give a BSOD if I do(only 16/32 possible)...but the VIA have a pretty darn annoying bug w/ KS on XP that the AudioTrak don't have...VIA told me that this bug doesn't exist on W7
confused.gif

24bit/192kHz kernel streaming with VIA drivers in Win7 works
wink.gif

But WASAPI is better imho
Quote:

WASAPI is a new audio output method introduced in Windows Vista; among other things, it provides an exclusive mode that allows applications to take full control over soundcard's resources (muting any sounds played by other applications) and play unaltered bitstream without passing it through the Windows mixer.

I have one question - what is your volume setting in AudioDeck/Prodigy control panel during listening music? 100%, 75%, 50% .... ?

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #112 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calebcz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
24bit/192kHz kernel streaming with VIA drivers in Win7 works
wink.gif

But WASAPI is better imho

I have one question - what is your volume setting in AudioDeck/Prodigy control panel during listening music? 100%, 75%, 50% .... ?

yes, 24/192 KS works on XP SP3 as well...but there's a nasty bug:
1) play a file in KS and set the master volume to 10%(I use headphones directly connected to the card)
2) play simultaneously a youtube video

= KS won't go through the master volume anymore(= full 0dB volume), I have to close youtube to make it 10% again
frown.gif

the original ICEnsemble drivers didn't make KS go through the windows master volume..VIA decided to do so, but completely failed implementing it
evil_smiley.gif

I guess it don't matter if you use an external amp...but when using headphones directly on the board, it's ******* annoying.

they told me it was working fine on W7....can you confirm??

they almost had it perfect...non-resampling KS in exclusive mode, very stable drivers...only this bug is damn annoying, but well I hate FLASH anyway, so no big deal
tongue.gif

yes, I'm not sure either about the AudioTrak drivers, as when I set the card output to 0dB, the volume is louder than in the VIA drivers?! I usually have the VIA at 10% or so(my cd1k has a low impedance and a high sensitivity) but on the AudioTrak it's more like 2%
redface.gif

luckily I feed them 32bit, so the attenuation sounds OK.

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #113 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) play a file in KS and set the master volume to 10%(I use headphones directly connected to the card)
2) play simultaneously a youtube video

= KS won't go through the master volume anymore(= full 0dB volume), I have to close youtube to make it 10% again
frown.gif

This can't be done
smily_headphones1.gif

While playing music via KS or WASAPI, soundcard can't play from another application simultaneously. So - playing in foobar meens no sound in youtube and no change with volume.
But if i play youtube first, foobar with KS as second, then foobar doesn't produce sound and volume jumps at maximum (loud youtube
wink.gif
). 16/24/32 bit means no difference.
But as i say - WASAPI is better and without this volume-bug.

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #114 of 492
hummm, so that's the other way around?! very strange.

I know KS works in exclusive mode, but still volume gets louder because the damn drivers are buggy
frown.gif

so if you first play KS then simultaneously youtube afterwards, no loud volume issue...but if you play youtube first then KS simultaneously afterwards, you get loud youtube?!?! hah, I will tell VIA that it's also broken on W7 then
evil_smiley.gif

none of this occurs w/ the AudioTrak drivers, but they don't do 24bit, are rather unstable, I don't like the GUI...and they are updated every 4 years or so, as their tech support is inexistent.

yes, WASAPI...but I'm XP resilient
tongue.gif

thanks for the test!

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #115 of 492
Quote:

i am happy with it, in my regular pc, using the majkel recommended opamp combo of 2604s and an 8599 or an 8022 (can;t remember which-- it has been a while, and I bought a house and moved a month or so ago, and my diy lie is in complete dissarray!)

i have the standard version and a deluxe. i bought a pci/pci-e riser board to try to use it with an external linear supply, but have not gotten around to trying it.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #116 of 492
well, majkel never tried the HD2(even less the Advance Deluxe), all I can say is that you should try 6x single op-amps..and you'll get a much wider center channel and a clearer stereo image.

I tried OPA228P, and it was a joke compared to AD797B..and OPA2604 was laughable too(it comes stock on the HD2 DE).

but well, "zee" Asus rep that floods the forum w/ dumb commercial advices said that the HD2 DE sucks compared to the STX...so many ppl on this forum talk about stuff they haven't even tried or heard, they just "know"!

it cracks me up each time but well, e-cred has an admittance price to pay apparently..you have to "know", even if you never tried it yourself or get caught saying bs(like OPA-Moon=Burson hah
biggrin.gif
).

I think your pci/pci-e riser attempts are doomed to fail(just like mine did using a cheapo PEX8112 card that didn't have 12V cabled), but let us know if you like
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #117 of 492
Quote:

i am happy with it, in my regular pc, using the majkel recommended opamp combo of 2604s and an 8599 or an 8022 (can;t remember which-- it has been a while, and I bought a house and moved a month or so ago, and my diy lie is in complete dissarray!)

i have the standard version and a deluxe. i bought a pci/pci-e riser board to try to use it with an external linear supply, but have not gotten around to trying it.

I tried one out awhile back but wasn't that impressed with it. I have heard quite a few of the Envy chipset cards.
I figured it would need some modding looking over the parts. The Envy cards are quite popular in ASIA based on what I have heard from associates. They are reasonable for the entry level price points I have seen them for.
I know a freind or two that uses them but they are heavily modded in the opamps, caps and power sections. I usually mod all my cards myself eventually.
tongue_smile.gif

A few guys have messed with riser or modding soundcards to use external PSU. I have been talking with a designer about something in the same idea but a bit different. I have had the circuit modeler and PCB design software out myself...if anything pans out in that area I will drop you an email.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #119 of 492
ah, 4*AD797B on the DAC output and leaving the buffer socket empty is really eye popping...the SS on this chip really tops everything else.

too bad it really lacks low end slam now...I'll try my luck w/ some EQ/DSP...I want a buffer op-amp that would leave the SS untouched and simply add more bass, that doesn't seem possible(yes, I did try 6*AD797B
biggrin.gif
)

I'll try 2*AD8597
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #120 of 492
btw: how many opamps do you have at home right now?
darthsmile.gif

After some more tests - LM4562 is too cold for my ears - but highs are fantastic. 8022 is much more neutral as final buffer. And LT1364 returned to the Little Dot - i simply can't resist its mids magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back