audiotrak hd2 replacing op-amps
Aug 1, 2008 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vvvvvv

New Head-Fier
i just received my opa2134's and i want to replace the stock ne5532's from my prodigy hd2. i tried pulling them out in order to replace them but it's absolutely impossible, no matter how hard i try. they seem soldered in place, just can't remove them. and i don't want to damage the card. getting mad here... quoting audiotrak, "the hardware is equipped with 3 opamps on sockets, this makes it possible to swap and exchange the opamps". But it sure doesn't seem possible. just can't pull them out... SO HOW IS IT DONE???

ps: any suggestions appreciated! thanks!

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 15
thanks for the reply!

1) yes well i read somewhere you just have to gently nudge them or something, but that sure doesn't work. plus i didn't want to risk damaging the card, so i tried to stay away from nose pliers and stuff like that. so should i try pulling them out more aggressively?

2) another question... can i replace all 3 stock op-amps with OPA2134's?

3) i know 2134's are not the best but it's all i could get, anyway they do sound better than the stock NE5532's right? so what would be the best op-amp configuration for me? now i have 3 OPA2134's, 1 AD823ANZ, and the stock on-card 3 NE5532's.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 15
1) Yes you need to rock them about slightly before it can get out the first time. I suggest you use long nose pliers, because if you use your fingers, you might bend the legs or hurt yourself (I know, I tried it before)

2) Yes why not, you can replace with any dual opamp you like, as long as it follows the same orientation (the notch or hole on the opamp denotes the first pin)

3) Maybe, I never heard of how OPA2134 sounds before. You can try mix and match, like 1xAD823 + 2xOPA2134 or 1xNE5532 + 2xOPA2134 and many more and you decide which one suits your ear and equipment
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks, that worked. 3 OPA's 2134 seems to sound best on my equipment, although maybe a bit too bright at times.

I have a question for HD2 users. I usually use my headphones with it, but if I want to use my speakers (which don't have sepparate left/right wires) can I just plug them in the headphones port on the HD2? Or would that somehow fry the card or something...

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvvvvv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, that worked. 3 OPA's 2134 seems to sound best on my equipment, although maybe a bit too bright at times.

I have a question for HD2 users. I usually use my headphones with it, but if I want to use my speakers (which don't have sepparate left/right wires) can I just plug them in the headphones port on the HD2? Or would that somehow fry the card or something...

Ymm Ymm... Those swappable opams have nothing to do with headphone output... Headamp uses some jrc chip which is non-swappable. There is no way you can hear any difference.. What a great example of placebo effect.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #11 of 15
The only way you are going to hear a difference is if you have something hooked up to the Line Out (RCA Jacks).

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aszu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ymm Ymm... Those swappable opams have nothing to do with headphone output... Headamp uses some jrc chip which is non-swappable. There is no way you can hear any difference.. What a great example of placebo effect.

both headphone out and rca out, are using swapable opamps. Just try to remove left/right channel opamp and you won't hear this channel via headphone out...

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 15
I've been led to believe the contrary. Are you using an HD2 or a different opamp reliant card? I'm pretty sure the HP out on the HD2 is soldered to the board. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both headphone out and rca out, are using swapable opamps. Just try to remove left/right channel opamp and you won't hear this channel via headphone out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back