Audiotechnica M50's vs V-Moda Crossfade LP's?
Feb 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Dalek-Zero97

New Head-Fier
So, I'm considering one of the two headphones listed in the title. I know the M50's have a better "overall sound" while the Crossfades are more bass inclined (although good all-around). So if it were just a matter of sound quality, I would buy the M50's. But my issue is with the design and build of the M50's. I'm on the move quite a bit, and the case provided with the Crossfades would reassure me that they wouldn't get crushed by accident. That and the fact that they have a detachable wire (in case something goes wrong) is a plus to me.

So, my question is, are the M50's good enough that they warrent a purchase over the more travel friendly Crossfade LP's. And how is the quality of the plastic on the M50's? Are they durable?

My limit for spending on headphones right now is 130 dollars, so if anyone has any other reccomendations (of over the ear headphones) I would be open to that too. Thanks!

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 18
I would also consider the M50 to be one of the most overrated headphones out there.
tongue.gif

I haven't heard the M80s myself but there are a number of people here that seems to disagree with you- I believe there is another M50 vs M80 thread somewhere on this forum where the consensus was that the M80s sounded better.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 18
The M50s are very rugged.  I  have
squished them in to my daily bag back and forth to work for years.
Very pleased with how they've held up.  Could well be a lifetime purchase
based on my experience.

I find the VMODA's very enjoyable, but weren't as comfy on my ears as the 
M50s.  I found the Audio Technicas to have better overall balance and
they do a job for many different musical types.  

But the Vmodas are  a fun, happy set of cans.  YMMV.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 18
If I were to decide just on durability and style I would go for the Crossfades. From V-MODA's website :

[size=11pt]Durability: Built to Last[/size] 

[size=9pt]"Built like a tank. For when you need a pair of 'phones that not only play beats but can take a beating." -Thrilist[/size] 

font]

1. [size=9pt]Virtually Indestructible STEELFLEX Headband[/size]
  2. [size=9pt]Steel Frame and Interchangeable Aircraft Grade Metal Shields[/size]
  3. [size=9pt]Exoskeleton Form-Fitting Case[/size]
  4. [size=9pt]Tested Beyond Military-Level Quality MIL-STD-810G Test Standards[/size]
    1. [size=9pt]Kevlar Reinforced Cable/Plug Bend: Cables and 45-degree plug can bend over 1 million times (100x industry standard)[/size]
    2. [size=9pt]Concrete Drop: Survives 70+ drops on concrete from 6 feet (10x industry standard)[/size]
    3. [size=9pt]Headband Bend: Steelflex can bend 10+ times flat[/size]
    4. span [size=9pt]Environmental: High and low temperatures, humidity, salt spray and UV exposure[/size]

[size=9pt]The M-50s may have better sound, but the Crossfades definitely win in durability and style.[/size]

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm wondering which one has better sound quality. I own m50's and I feel that the layering isn't that great, and there is a lack of mids and lows. Other than that I love them, but do the v moda's sound quality beat the m50's highs

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 18
I have the M50's, v-moda LP's, LP2's and M100's.

I don't like the sound of the LP's over the M50's. The bass is a bit too heavy on the LP's. It drowns out the mids.

I do like the LP2's over the M50's though. The bass is more refined and the mids are more forward. Very nice bass impact.

The M100's are great sounding, but don't believe the hype that they're basshead cans. They're not. They're the cleanest sounding of those mentioned and have tight, deep bass, just not a huge quantity of it.

So if you afford the Lp2's, those are the ones I'd go for.
They have some advantages over the LP's aside from the sound too; you get an extra year warranty and free customized shields (ordering from v-moda).

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 18
  I have the M50's, v-moda LP's, LP2's and M100's.

I don't like the sound of the LP's over the M50's. The bass is a bit too heavy on the LP's. It drowns out the mids.

I do like the LP2's over the M50's though. The bass is more refined and the mids are more forward. Very nice bass impact.

The M100's are great sounding, but don't believe the hype that they're basshead cans. They're not. They're the cleanest sounding of those mentioned and have tight, deep bass, just not a huge quantity of it.

So if you afford the Lp2's, those are the ones I'd go for.
They have some advantages over the LP's aside from the sound too; you get an extra year warranty and free customized shields (ordering from v-moda).

When people call the M100's "basshead" cans, I believe it means they're bass-heavy "audiophile" cans, hence their term "modiophile". They don't have the ultra up-front bass you'll find in the LP2, Beats Mixr, or phones like that, but what they do have is premium sound with a lot more bass than you'd normally find from a product of this type. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 18
  I would also consider the M50 to be one of the most overrated headphones out there.
tongue.gif

I haven't heard the M80s myself but there are a number of people here that seems to disagree with you- I believe there is another M50 vs M80 thread somewhere on this forum where the consensus was that the M80s sounded better.

I'd agree tbh. I've had the M80's for a week and really didn't wanna hand them back.

Such a good sounding & fun set of cans.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 18
  So, I'm considering one of the two headphones listed in the title. I know the M50's have a better "overall sound" while the Crossfades are more bass inclined (although good all-around). So if it were just a matter of sound quality, I would buy the M50's. But my issue is with the design and build of the M50's. I'm on the move quite a bit, and the case provided with the Crossfades would reassure me that they wouldn't get crushed by accident. That and the fact that they have a detachable wire (in case something goes wrong) is a plus to me.

So, my question is, are the M50's good enough that they warrent a purchase over the more travel friendly Crossfade LP's. And how is the quality of the plastic on the M50's? Are they durable?

My limit for spending on headphones right now is 130 dollars, so if anyone has any other reccomendations (of over the ear headphones) I would be open to that too. Thanks!

Just a note that AT just released the M50x. they're pretty much the same as the original M50s but with slightly different pad material and a detachable cable. It also comes with 3 different varieties of the cable. They are currently a bit more than the M50s though, so that might put them outside of your price range depending on what you can find.

I can't speak to the comparison since I haven't listened to the V Modas unfortunately. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back