• ATH-SR5

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • ATH-MSR7

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Jan 29, 2018 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TidalWave

100+ Head-Fier
I've read all the reviews I could find for these headphones and have a general idea, but unfortunately there have not been enough comparative posts about them.

I'm seeking advice on getting one of these for personal use all-purpose style. The "high resolution" sound will probably be lost on me using headphones plugged into my cell phone, but perhaps not lost using them on my [high end from a few years ago, self-assembled] desktop computer--although I do not have a dedicated sound card. In terms of the music I like to listen to: it really varies: rock, classical, dance/electronic, usually not rap/hip hop.

I've settled on these based on price/quality/reviews. My preference is for closed-back design with low sound leak to the outside world as well as some passive noise muffling. I've read that M50X are great at the latter. Some reviews say MSR7s are also good at muffling outside noise, and one review said SR5 was pretty decent too as far as on-ear headphones go. That said it's not my #1 requirement, just nice to have, since I live in a city, and random car noise while walking outdoors can be annoying. It's also nice to not annoy people sitting near me on public transit.

For reference, I'm on a budget, so I'm mostly looking at the used market prices for these.

I realize these are all different from each other, but they all have their pros and cons. ATH-SR5 is the smallest, lightest, and [significantly] cheapest, while still having good drivers. According to some feedback, they are "80% as good as MSR7" in sound, whatever that means. People say that the memory foam used for on-hear padding is quite comfortable, so that's a plus.

ATH-MSR7: seems to be probably better for passive sound insulation, probably a bit better in sound quality. The gunmetal gray model is snazzy (I hate all-black electronics, and white will require frequent cleaning). A good jump in price over SR5.

ATH-M50X: seems to be the reference headphone for a lot of reviews. I've read that M40X is a bit better balanced and cheaper, but the silly argument for me is that M40X only comes in black, while M50X can be found in some more interesting colors.

Thank you.

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 10
Given the totality of your needs I would probably go with the MSR7. It does sound a bit better than the M50x in my opinion and the SR5 does not isolate well, which is an issue. Just my take and YMMV, of course..

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 10
Given the totality of your needs I would probably go with the MSR7. It does sound a bit better than the M50x in my opinion and the SR5 does not isolate well, which is an issue. Just my take and YMMV, of course..

Thank you! Are the MSR7 twice as good as SR5s? Of course price increases non-linearly with upgrades, but based on used prices for both, I can find SR5s for literally half the price of MSR7s or less. That's the reason I keep looking at SR5s.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 10
Gosh, I wouldn't know how to really answer that, TBH. I do think the MSR7 is a better headphone (to me it is) pretty clearly, but whether that is 2X, 1,5 X, 3X--I just don't know. Hard to say. The MSR7 is a quality headphone, that much I do know.

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 10
No worries, I do understand, such things are subjective, and sometimes it's "worth it" for some to pay a high premium for a certain increase in subjective quality or features.

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm seeing multiple opinions you youtube reviews about MSR7s being fairly tight on the head and thus uncomfortable to wear for a long time. One guy showed the significant indents the pads make on his face (granted, his head seems to be much bigger than mine). Hmm.

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 10
I would say I have an average sized head and the MSR7's are tight. There are a lot of people who stretch them out over a basketball or something similar on size and have had good results. I just got used to the clamping force. Really the cups are fine but after long listening sessions I develop a bit of a hot spot on top of my head. It has been a few years since I had my M50's but I know I enjoy the MSR7's more.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 10
I've tried all 3 at a local store today (very happy I found that I could). Interestingly all 3 sounded quite different from each other, and I spent quite a long time trying the same songs with each and different genres. Unfortunately I only had my cell phone and no amp (my phone's USB port is currently wonky with most cables), so I probably did not give them anywhere near a fair trial. Nonetheless, M50x were my favorite as an all-arounder. They were a bit more comfortable to wear over MSR7s (for me), and the sound was a bit more energetic for the types of music I like to listen to. I am not a bass head by any means, but I see now what people mean when they say MSR7s and SR5s have somewhat lacking bass. It's not that I need booming bass, but there was a certain amount of presence lacking on the low end compared to M50x. I wouldn't call it at all "tinny" in any way, just not sufficient. On the other hand, M50x was a little more muffled on the middle and high end compared to the crisp and detailed MSR7s. Seems to me that MSR7s are best for certain styles of music where they will shine. SR5, or that particular unit at least, had a bit more bass than MSR7, and overall I was quite impressed with how well those lightweight and super comfortable headphones did compared to the other two, fairly close to the sound of MSR7, a bit brighter and a bit more bass. One thing that ruled them out for me was that while there was some noise isolation with SR5s, I could still hear the environment. MSR7 and M50x are like a concrete bunker, super isolating!

So what I wish I could get: the low end of M50x, the mid/high end crisp detail of MSR7s, cord with volume and play control, and slightly more lightweight would be a bonus. Has anyone here tried alternative cables for M50x/M40x/etc. that provide music controls? I see some with mixed reviews on Amazon.

(Oh yes, and Grados 60i sounded as awesome as I thought they would... They were and would be my top choice, if only the open back design didn't mean such high sound leakage and zero noise insulation).

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 10
thanks, there's so little review about the SR5 on this site sadly
I've tried all 3 at a local store today (very happy I found that I could). Interestingly all 3 sounded quite different from each other, and I spent quite a long time trying the same songs with each and different genres. Unfortunately I only had my cell phone and no amp (my phone's USB port is currently wonky with most cables), so I probably did not give them anywhere near a fair trial. Nonetheless, M50x were my favorite as an all-arounder. They were a bit more comfortable to wear over MSR7s (for me), and the sound was a bit more energetic for the types of music I like to listen to. I am not a bass head by any means, but I see now what people mean when they say MSR7s and SR5s have somewhat lacking bass. It's not that I need booming bass, but there was a certain amount of presence lacking on the low end compared to M50x. I wouldn't call it at all "tinny" in any way, just not sufficient. On the other hand, M50x was a little more muffled on the middle and high end compared to the crisp and detailed MSR7s. Seems to me that MSR7s are best for certain styles of music where they will shine. SR5, or that particular unit at least, had a bit more bass than MSR7, and overall I was quite impressed with how well those lightweight and super comfortable headphones did compared to the other two, fairly close to the sound of MSR7, a bit brighter and a bit more bass. One thing that ruled them out for me was that while there was some noise isolation with SR5s, I could still hear the environment. MSR7 and M50x are like a concrete bunker, super isolating!

So what I wish I could get: the low end of M50x, the mid/high end crisp detail of MSR7s, cord with volume and play control, and slightly more lightweight would be a bonus. Has anyone here tried alternative cables for M50x/M40x/etc. that provide music controls? I see some with mixed reviews on Amazon.

(Oh yes, and Grados 60i sounded as awesome as I thought they would... They were and would be my top choice, if only the open back design didn't mean such high sound leakage and zero noise insulation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back