Audiotechnica ATH-M30's?
Dec 20, 2002 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
What are your experiences with this set of cans? I'm looking for a good closed alternative to the V6's, since their upper mid/lower treble is too harsh for my ears. How do the M30's compare to the V6's? Their frequency response is only 20-20,000 as opposed to the V6's 5-30,000, so am I looking at less bass and less treble? I know that the numbers don't always equate to the sound one hears, though..

Anyway, I can get the M30's for $50 shipped (or worst case, $70 at the local Guitar Center), whereas the cheapest I can find the V6's online is about $80 without shipping... and like I said, that treble is a tad too harsh on my ears....

Dec 20, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 10
I'd really like to hear about the M30's also. (I'm actually posting this reply just to bump this thread back up to the top so that hopefully someone with these phones will notice it.)

Dec 22, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 10
I finally gave in a bought a pair of these, especially since J&R has an extended holiday return period. I don't think I'll be returning them, though.

My first impression -- straight out of the box -- is that these are quite a pleasing sounding set of inexpensive closed phones. There is a distinct mid- to upper-bass exxageration, but it is not as obtrusive as the Senn 202's, and at the moment I'm not really finding it too objectionable. Compared to the Sony 7506's, which are the other closed cans that I own, these are somewhat more laid back and lack the Sony's somewhat shrill quality in the high end. Midrange on the AT's is more pronounced, which I think is a good thing. The AT's don't sound like they're quite in the same league as the 7506's in terms of flatness of response or bass and treble extension, but since the Sony's stand out in that regard I don't think that's really a big criticism. The AT's are driven OK by my portables, but are not as sensitive as the 7506's, Senn 497's, etc.

Still, I think these may turn out to be strong contender in the moderately priced closed phone category (mine were $49.95).

I'm going to try burning them in for a while.

Dec 23, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 10
You might want to consider the ATH-M40fs or D40fs (I have the latter and it's very nice).

Dec 24, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 10
I've figured out what it is I like about these: smooth upper mid-range. Based on personal experience (and supported by Tyll's cheap headphone frequency response round-up) I'd say that this area of the audio spectrum tends to get neglected somewhat. It seems that manufacturers generally want to make sure that the treble is strong, and bass rountinely seems to be overemphasized, but the upper-mids are given short shrift by a number of otherwise good cheap cans, such as the portapros and Senn 497s.

The ATH-M30s are quite smooth through the top of the mid-range, but treble is rolled off somewhat. Vocals dominate the presentation in rock/pop, jazz, and even classical (oratorio, lieder, etc.) Upper bass is overemphasized, but not in that "big bass" way that some phones seem designed for. The overall effect is somewhat laid back, but I wouldn't call it remote except on a minority of recordings that I've tried (and these were tending in that direction anyway). Isolation is decent -- same general range as the Sony 7506, which these closely resemble in physical construction. The ATH-M30s are quite comfortable - the pads seem much softer than the Sonys, and pressure on the ears is moderate.

I wouldn't give these things a rave review, but I think they are worth considering if you've only got $50 to spend and you want a set of sturdy, comfortable, isolating closed cans. And I think they fit reasonably well the requirements I had in mind when I started exploring closed headphones, which is something good for long-term listening in environments where I want a little sonic privacy while reading. None of the others I've tried have worked as well. The Sony 180's and Philips 555 don't provide much isolation. The Senn 202s are better in this regard but not great, and I find their sound simultaneously boomy and aggressive -- I like it in certain moods, but not for background listening. The Sony 7506s are great, but again don't work for me while I'm reading. Their presentation is quite forward and, for me, hard to tune out -- great for critical listening. So I guess the ATH-M30s will do for now unless anyone knows of something similar that costs less.

Dec 24, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by nierika
You might want to consider the ATH-M40fs or D40fs (I have the latter and it's very nice).

How much did you pay for these, and where can they be purchased?

Dec 24, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 10
I recently saw the D40FS at Sam Ash for $89.99, which is $20 more than what the M30 sells for at that same store.

Dec 24, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 10
The ATH-M30s are $49.95 at J&R.

Can you say any more about the character of the D40FS, especially compared to the M30s, or other similarly priced phones (Sony 7506s, etc.)?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back