Audioquest RCA Cables (and buying them on ebay)
Aug 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

agutt

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Couple quick questions for you....

I have been doing some research as to what kind of cables, I am going to use in my system, and so far what is looking best to me is the sidewinder series by Audioquest. They are in my price range, and and have the style and quality I am looking for.

First Question - Are these cables a good choice? or is there something else out there at around the same price that is better?

The other thing that has come into play are the King Cobras. While these are out of my price range completely, there seems to be a plethora of them on ebay mostly from hong kong (I have weeded through most of them and found what looks to be a reputable one here: Audioquest King Cobra 0.5M Audio Cable Interconnect - eBay (item 260457808090 end time Sep-02-09 07:34:48 PDT) )

Anyone have experience here, or know if these are legit??

Thanks again, and if anyone has any other cables for me to check out let me know please!

-agutt

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 13
I'd personally try to find a retailer online (like Blue Jeans) rather than buying from eBay with shipping from Hong Kong. But that's just me
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 13
I have used the King Cobra before. It has a fuller, smooth sound. But I found it covered up some details so I sold it and went with Signal Cable (Analog Interconnects).

I don't think the King Cobra is worth the $75. At that price you can get the Signal Cable Analog 2 with Eichmann Copper Bullet plugs (Analog Two)

As suggested by previous two postings, at least give Blue Jeans a try before buying expensive cables.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the responses guys... After doing a little more research, I'm thinking I'll give signal cable a try...and work from there.

Thanks again!

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 13
lmf22...

what are your thoughts on the bullet plug upgrade? Is it worth the extra 30 bucks?

(I hate RCAs that terminate too tight!)

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by agutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lmf22...

what are your thoughts on the bullet plug upgrade? Is it worth the extra 30 bucks?

(I hate RCAs that terminate too tight!)

I haven't tried the Signal Cables with the regular RCA so I can't do an RCA vs bullet plug comparison. Perhaps you can email Signal Cable. The owner is a pleasure to deal with and communication is usually very quick.

There is also some information here: Bullet Plug RCA

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, have you considered the ones from Blue Jean Cable? Stereo Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

I was wondering how BJC RCAs compare to the 'popular' cables out there. Does their low capacitance cable make a difference to the sound?

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering how BJC RCAs compare to the 'popular' cables out there. Does their low capacitance cable make a difference to the sound?

IMO the lower capacitance makes a big difference by opening the soundstage and providing more air between the notes. These observations come from comparing both type of BJC cables side by side.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used the King Cobra before. It has a fuller, smooth sound. But I found it covered up some details so I sold it and went with Signal Cable (Analog Interconnects).

Ordered a pair of Silver Resolution IC's with copper bullets today. I've been looking for a pair of good IC's for a while now and was having trouble finding what I wanted at a price I thought was right. Thanks for the link.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 13
Blue Jeans are always a good choice - I've been happy with their high quality. You might also want to consider the cables at Vampire Wire. Several models are reasonably priced and are of high quality. I also like Vampire's connectors and jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back